PDA

View Full Version : Source for 4+ cavity TL pistol molds?

John in AR
02-11-2016, 08:51 PM
I'm just getting into casting and have been reading a LOT on this site; for which I'm glad & grateful. After reading on different lube approaches, I tentatively plan to start with BLL sprayed on, so I'd like to stick as much as possible with TL bullet designs. For the sake of production rate, I'd rather stick to molds with greater than two cavities also. These aren't going to be for precision shooting or hunting use, just used for timed drills at close-in ranges out to 15 yards or less, so having the "ultimate precise" mold isn't necessarily my highest priority (yet... :-P ). Only calibers I'm really concerned with at this point are .38spl, 9mm, 45acp and 45Colt.

I'm aware of the Lee six-cavity molds, and have already ordered one of the TL356-124-TC & handles. I'm considering their TL452-230-TC, but haven't committed yet as I'd really like to go with 200-grainers; initially at least. Similarly with .358's, the lightest non-wadcutter TL they offer is 158 and I'd really rather go with 125's, again at least to start. (Simply to get more bullets per pound, basically.)

Short version is this I guess - what's a good TL design pistol-bullet mold in both .358-125 and .452-200, with more than two cavities...? Thanks

jmort
02-11-2016, 08:58 PM
Lee, NOE, or Accurate. Have a quite a few from all three. I like TL bullets.

tazman
02-11-2016, 09:05 PM
I have been using the LEE tl 158 RN in my 38 special with outstanding results.
I have also been using the LEE TL 356-95-RF in my 9mm and for very light loads in my 38. It works really well in my 9mm and with so-so accuracy in my 38.

VHoward
02-12-2016, 12:20 AM
You can also tumble lube standard lube groove bullets also. They work just fine tumble lubed.

Fishman
02-12-2016, 08:43 AM
Look at NOE and their catalog of Ranch Dog's designs. They are great, particularly if you like tumble lube designs.

I feel compelled to reiterate Vhoward's advice though that lots of people pc and tl traditional designs with great success. The tl design isn't necessary for the approach, and it gives you options down the road if you acquire a lubrisizer.