PDA

View Full Version : Sources for leather and dye?

Blackwater
02-11-2016, 07:24 PM
I know some of you work leather, so thought you might be able to help in pointing me toward good sources of leather. Also need some dye, too. I know Tandy, and usually got my leather from their shop in Savannah, but they've closed, and I don't know of another source, so I'll have to order by mail this time. Tandy's stuff has been good, but I believe there are other sources out there for good leather that might be cheaper. Thanks for any references that you have had good results and dealings with.

Hickory
02-11-2016, 07:27 PM
Try Tandy leather.

5Shot
02-11-2016, 07:59 PM
Zach White...

nagantguy
02-11-2016, 08:01 PM
Yes tandy is were I've gotten most my stuff, and they do from time to time run killer deals, 3 years ago I got a large box, like 20 pounds of various odds and ends for iifc 20 bucks! Haven't need any since. As far as die goes I'll look for my recipe for making it from black Walnut hulls. Good stuff lasts forever, fairly simple.to make and is none toxic.

waksupi
02-11-2016, 08:19 PM
http://www.leatherunltd.com/leather/pieces/pieces.html

cold1
02-11-2016, 08:58 PM
Zach whites in Ramsuer NC.

Windwalker 45acp
02-11-2016, 10:46 PM
I buy shoulders from Tandy fairly often, they've always done me right.

yancey
02-12-2016, 12:16 AM
I know some of you work leather, so thought you might be able to help in pointing me toward good sources of leather. Also need some dye, too. I know Tandy, and usually got my leather from their shop in Savannah, but they've closed, and I don't know of another source, so I'll have to order by mail this time. Tandy's stuff has been good, but I believe there are other sources out there for good leather that might be cheaper. Thanks for any references that you have had good results and dealings with.

I dropped several bucks back years ago in Tandy"s stores until i found out i could get my sides from Scholze Tannery in Chattanooga Tn.
I would get my sides for about half of the price for what tandy wanted . I think Scholze( Local in my area) burned down years ago and is no longer.I use to order from a place out west but i cant remember the name . Let me check with a friend of mine and see if these folks are still around and if i can get their info. ( Don"t get me wrong, i spent a lot of money with Tandy for years and they had what i wanted)
I just like to save a few $$$$$.

Blackwater
02-12-2016, 07:02 PM
Thanks, guys. Will check them all out. I knew some here would know how to save a buck or two on this!

FrankG
02-12-2016, 09:35 PM
Wickett and Craig have very nice leather .

doc1876
02-13-2016, 11:20 AM
This guy is on fb, and he advertises on Reenactors garage sale. I don't know about his quality, but the prices seem very reasonable.
https://www.facebook.com/Uncle.George.Duross?fref=nf

Last project I worked on is a saddle, and I bought the leather from S&T in St. Louis. I won't be doing that again.