PDA

View Full Version : Newbie looking for an economical way to try different Boolits

Dimner
02-11-2016, 04:55 PM
Howdy everyone.

First time poster here. [smilie=s:

I have been bitten with the casting bug and really want to dive into this hobby. I have been reading and reading about the topic for quite some time now and I'm ready to try things out. The problem I have is partially due to my OCD and partially due to the overwhelming number of bullet molds out there. My brain tells me that it would be best to try samples of boolits from different molds before I commit to a specific mold for the long run. Just like how with the J-words (I'm learning the lingo) you try a few different brands and find which does best. My brain also says... hey, since you are a rookie and all, let an expert cast the boolit. That way my poor casting skills will be taken out of the equation.

So I've been hitting some of the retail cast boolit sites (that I know of) to see if they sell boolits made by particular boolit molds I'm interested in. Problem is, it is not always clear what molds they are using to make their boolits. I'm okay with the cost of trying the boolits first, I figure it will save me money in the long run from buying 5 different molds. I will also have a benchmark of how a good cast boolit will perform.

My first boolit will be a low weight plinking and small game round for my Marlin 336. I have some molds in mind to try out, but cannot for the life of me figure out who sells the finished cast product.

Here are a few of the boolits I'm interested in.

Lyman 311008
Lee C309-113
NEI 312-77-PB
NEI (http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/312-77-pb-bob-davis.jpg)310-115-GC (http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/310-115-gc.jpg)
NEI 312-115-GC
NOE (http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/312-115-gc.jpg)311-115-FN (http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=55)

So, does any one know an easy way to find a retailer of cast boolits along with the specific molds they use?

AnthonyB
02-11-2016, 04:59 PM
I don't have any of the designs you are interested in, but predict other members will offer to send you some samples in exchange for shipping. I have heavier 30 cals when you are ready to move up in weight.
Tony

Outer Rondacker
02-11-2016, 05:04 PM
Welcome aboard Dimner. I do not cast that light for 30 cal either. Sorry. But if you go to the bullet exchange and post a looking for guys will help you out. To find that section scroll down on the forum page to swappin&selling Fourth down from the top will be Boolit Exchange. Post a looking for in that section. You might want to include what size and lube you are looking for. GC or PB.

NavyVet1959
02-11-2016, 05:04 PM
It is my understanding that the commercial casters are using automated casting machines that do not use the same molds that we use. Just buy a few of the 2-cavity Lee molds and start out with them. If you like them, you'll probably end up buying the 6-cavity molds of the same design.

Yodogsandman
02-11-2016, 06:57 PM
The Lee 309-313 is very close to the Lyman 311008 and NOE 311-115 FN. I'd try a 2 cavity mold of that one (about $25). I had one but, lent it out to another member. Shot well at 50yds with my 30-30 win with 3.7gr Bullseye. Wish Lee made a 6 cavity of that one!

RP
02-11-2016, 07:20 PM
Go to the swapping and selling section and look at the bottom highlighted topics you will see one for bullet exchange.

MT Chambers
02-11-2016, 07:37 PM
My outfit in Canada casts/sells bullets from molds made by the best makers, and the info is given to the purchaser if asked for, including alloy, sizing, lubing info. I wouldn't be able to help the op as those are not common molds, and I don't use Lee molds, however many Lyman, RCBS, Saeco, LBT, NOE, Accurate molds are used. I don't know why any outfit wouldn't volunteer that info to the purchaser.

Rattlesnake Charlie
02-11-2016, 10:02 PM
I don't have a single one that you are looking for.

I do have the following. I may already have some cast. Others, it may take a while for me to get around to them. Especially if the mold is single cavity. But, I would send samples of a few dozen or so if you reimburse shipping.

Winchester, 30 W.C.F. S.R., Special short range bullet by Winchester for .30-30, sources say this bullet should be around 100 gr. It is RN and was originally loaded over 6 gr of some powder giving ballistics about that of the .32-20.

RCBS, 32-84-RN

MiHec, .32 ACP, 67 gr HP and 73 gr solid

NOE, 315-85-RF

Lyman, 313249, 85 gr RN for .32 S&W

popper
02-12-2016, 12:18 PM
I just have to ask, is it a Remlin or older rifle? How fast do you want to push it? Have you reloaded 30/30? Have you gone to the levergun section for reading? MBC, Carolina CB, Lasercast & others have good cast boolits for sale. Most 30/30 cast are in the >150 & up. Might look for carbine & 125 300BO/AK type FP or RN. I shot the half jacket speer/hornady which are really low $ but fun. I got a lot of circularly cracked necks from the short boolits in the long 30/30 neck, annealing often might help. Personally I find 150gr PB run ~12-1300 fps with pistol powder worked best with low recoil. It is still a 100 yd gun even with light boolits.

bangerjim
02-12-2016, 12:24 PM
You may LIKE to use those specific designs, but they appear to be odd-balls for us casters. Like said, comm-casters use different molds than us garage lead slingers.

Find what you can and use it. You may not even tell the difference!

Lee 2 cav's are a good cheap way to start. Avoid the expenive 1 & 2 cav iron/steel molds until you find what you like. Sell the Lee's on here.

Or order the listed molds and spend a small fortune right up front. Not your economical way you are looking for!

banger

Dimner
02-12-2016, 01:09 PM
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'm really glad I stopped lurking and started posting. All of your info is a big help.

Welcome aboard Dimner. I do not cast that light for 30 cal either. Sorry. But if you go to the bullet exchange and post a looking for guys will help you out. To find that section scroll down on the forum page to swappin&selling Fourth down from the top will be Boolit Exchange. Post a looking for in that section. You might want to include what size and lube you are looking for. GC or PB.

Thank you very much! I did not even know that area of the forum existed until you posted. What a great idea.

The Lee 309-313 is very close to the Lyman 311008 and NOE 311-115 FN. I'd try a 2 cavity mold of that one (about $25). I had one but, lent it out to another member. Shot well at 50yds with my 30-30 win with 3.7gr Bullseye. Wish Lee made a 6 cavity of that one!

If all else fails, I may go this route, but since my 336 has the whole microgroove thing, I'm thinking I need a fatter bullet than what the Lee can drop. At least that is what I read about the microgrooves, that they really like over sized bullets. What is the fattest something like that can drop? Plans are to swage a 315 roundball down the barrel tonight and see where I end up.

I don't have a single one that you are looking for.

I do have the following. I may already have some cast. Others, it may take a while for me to get around to them. Especially if the mold is single cavity. But, I would send samples of a few dozen or so if you reimburse shipping.

Winchester, 30 W.C.F. S.R., Special short range bullet by Winchester for .30-30, sources say this bullet should be around 100 gr. It is RN and was originally loaded over 6 gr of some powder giving ballistics about that of the .32-20.

RCBS, 32-84-RN

MiHec, .32 ACP, 67 gr HP and 73 gr solid

NOE, 315-85-RF

Lyman, 313249, 85 gr RN for .32 S&W

That WCF S.R. Round looks promising. Is it similar to this mold?

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=31-115K-D.png
(http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=31-115K-D.png)
I would love to try some, but I'm wondering if I would be able to find another mold like yours. How hard are they to come by?

I have also read that some people who have luck in the 30-30 with the Lyman 313249. If you have some of those laying around it would be great to try. I would insist on paying not only shipping by cost of lead and your time. :)

I just have to ask, is it a Remlin or older rifle? How fast do you want to push it? Have you reloaded 30/30? Have you gone to the levergun section for reading? MBC, Carolina CB, Lasercast & others have good cast boolits for sale. Most 30/30 cast are in the >150 & up. Might look for carbine & 125 300BO/AK type FP or RN. I shot the half jacket speer/hornady which are really low $ but fun. I got a lot of circularly cracked necks from the short boolits in the long 30/30 neck, annealing often might help. Personally I find 150gr PB run ~12-1300 fps with pistol powder worked best with low recoil. It is still a 100 yd gun even with light boolits.

It's a JM from 1954 or 57. I cant remember which at the moment. I will probably start out pushing these at 1050 to 1300 maybe going 1800 tops, but probably sticking below 1300. All I want is something accurate out to about 75 yards. I'm using open sights and hunting small game, anything past 75 I will not be able to see well.

I've done alot of reloading of commercial jacketed bullets for the 30-30. I've reloaded a few hundred of the hornady short jackets. Those are pretty much the ones I want to mimic. Even though they are very cheap it nags at me that I have to buy those as I feel I should be able to cast a comparable bullet.

Rattlesnake Charlie
02-17-2016, 06:45 PM
I'll try to take a photo of the .30 WCF S.R. mold I have tonight.

For a little more info on .30-30 ammo, check out:
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/3030history.htm

Rattlesnake Charlie
02-17-2016, 06:54 PM
That WCF S.R. Round looks promising. Is it similar to this mold?
http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=31-115K-D.png
(http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=31-115K-D.png)I would love to try some, but I'm wondering if I would be able to find another mold like yours. How hard are they to come by?

OK, little more Google searching turned up exactly what the bullet mold I have is.

http://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-shooting-and-hunting/30-w-c-f-short-range-cartridges-1896-1924-and-their-replications/

I'll try to cast some this weekend for you to experiment with.
PM me your snail-mail address.
Don't expect a bucket full. It is a single cavity mold. If it works out, it appears Accurate Arms has the design.

BUCKEYE BANDIT
02-18-2016, 05:55 PM
DIMNER,
I have some Lyman 311316 sized 311.5 with Hornady G.C. and 45/45/10 lubed.161273 116gr. lubed and checked.
Use these in my Inland 30 carbine.

jcren
02-18-2016, 08:52 PM
If you like the hornady 30 carbine bullet, check out the lee 311-100-2r (or the .314 tc for a larger diameter) mold in their pistol molds. I had one that I loaded light plinkers for 30-06 with , but I loaned it out and it disappeared. I need to get another.

GhostHawk
02-18-2016, 10:15 PM
If you are looking to buy you are stuck with whatever they want to sell, at whatever size it is and alloy.

With any one of 4 or 5 lee molds you get to decide which boolit, what alloy, what size.

If you are willing to invest even 100$ with a little hussle you could be casting your own.
But that is your call.

Most of my .30 caliber casting is for Milsurp rifles, so mine are all .312 or .314.

Good Luck

kungfustyle
02-18-2016, 10:39 PM
Slug your bore and then buy a mold that fits. If Lyman or Lee makes it, you are good to go. Noe should have a good alternative for what you are looking for. The do not sell things that don't work. Only way to learn is to take the leap.

Lead Fred
02-18-2016, 11:29 PM
NOE makes the Ranch Dog mold, which was designed for the Marlin 30-30

Dimner
02-19-2016, 11:25 AM
OK, little more Google searching turned up exactly what the bullet mold I have is.

http://winchestercollector.org/forum/winchester-shooting-and-hunting/30-w-c-f-short-range-cartridges-1896-1924-and-their-replications/

I'll try to cast some this weekend for you to experiment with.
PM me your snail-mail address.
Don't expect a bucket full. It is a single cavity mold. If it works out, it appears Accurate Arms has the design.

Wonderful!

I really like the history behind the short range. PM incoming :)

DIMNER,
I have some Lyman 311316 sized 311.5 with Hornady G.C. and 45/45/10 lubed.161273 116gr. lubed and checked.
Use these in my Inland 30 carbine.

Would you mind If I buy 25 or so from you? I will send you a PM.

Dimner
02-19-2016, 11:40 AM
If you are looking to buy you are stuck with whatever they want to sell, at whatever size it is and alloy.

With any one of 4 or 5 lee molds you get to decide which boolit, what alloy, what size.

If you are willing to invest even 100$ with a little hussle you could be casting your own.
But that is your call.

Most of my .30 caliber casting is for Milsurp rifles, so mine are all .312 or .314.

Good Luck

For sure willing to take the leap and make the investment, but if I can make that investment on a mold I already know works well for my intended application, then all the better. That's what this quest it. Really it comes down to a limited budget that I have to dive into bullet casting. If I can preview (for lack of a better term) as many molds as I can, all the better.

Keep the suggestions coming everyone, I'm getting a very nice list of molds I want to try. All this input is very valuable.

Rattlesnake Charlie
02-21-2016, 03:07 PM
It turns out that the mold I have, even though it has Winchester and .30 W.C.F. S.R. on it does not match what is available from Accurate Arms in the link I posted in #13 above. Mine is a true round-nose and weighs 113.5 gr from soft alloy. I'll send them anyway. They may work good. The other bullet on the left is the 85 gr RFN I originally posted about. I'm casting them for my CZ-52pistol.

Dimner
02-22-2016, 06:51 PM
It turns out that the mold I have, even though it has Winchester and .30 W.C.F. S.R. on it does not match what is available from Accurate Arms in the link I posted in #13 above. Mine is a true round-nose and weighs 113.5 gr from soft alloy. I'll send them anyway. They may work good. The other bullet on the left is the 85 gr RFN I originally posted about. I'm casting them for my CZ-52pistol.
Much obliged!

In my reading about the 30 WCF S.R. it looks like it went through a couple design changes over the years.

Those two you cast sure look nice. Thanks again for letting me try them out!

gwpercle
02-22-2016, 09:26 PM
Lee double cavity moulds are only a $20.00 investment and worth buying to test out a design. If you like it , then go to a more expensive custom mould.

I started reloading for 9 mm luger not long ago, for 3 different pistols. Tried 3 different Lee moulds , a 105 grain SWC (semi-wadcutter) , a 125 grain RN (round nose) and a 120 grain TC (truncated cone). I preferred the truncated cone design best. After that I ordered a $100.00 ,TC design with a gas check , 4 cavity mould, from NOE. I would have been upset if I had spent $100.00 on a mouild that my gun(s) wouldn't function with. Don't be afraid to try Lee moulds , they are not excessive in cost and afford you the opportunity to experiment.
My first mould for 30-30 was the Lee 113-F , but for some reason I have come to prefer shooting the 170 - F.
I like to try different moulds, weights and designs also and Lee 2- cavity moulds let you try many different things. Go try some.
Gary

PoisonIvyMagnet
02-22-2016, 10:22 PM
The 30-30 is just fun to shoot. I settled on the NOE 311-165 RD mold for my Marlin. The 165gn cast rounds are heavier than what you seem to be looking for, but they do shoot well. The Lee molds are an inexpensive way to start, but with your microgroove 336, you may find they drop boolits too small for your bore. I tried a few, and found the .309" boolit they would drop were a poor fit for the .310“ bore of my 336. Your bore may be smaller, don't know without slugging it, but you're likely going to do well with cast rounds sized at .311".
For some good places to start on light loads, try http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=270334
While they are jacketed, Midway sells Hornady 110gn bullets intended for 30 carbine that make for good plinking rounds (search for "419538"). I've used them for light loads for beginners. If you look, you might find something similar in cast. Good luck with your search, and have fun shooting.

Dimner
02-23-2016, 11:15 AM
Lee double cavity moulds are only a $20.00 investment and worth buying to test out a design. If you like it , then go to a more expensive custom mould.

I started reloading for 9 mm luger not long ago, for 3 different pistols. Tried 3 different Lee moulds , a 105 grain SWC (semi-wadcutter) , a 125 grain RN (round nose) and a 120 grain TC (truncated cone). I preferred the truncated cone design best. After that I ordered a $100.00 ,TC design with a gas check , 4 cavity mould, from NOE. I would have been upset if I had spent $100.00 on a mouild that my gun(s) wouldn't function with. Don't be afraid to try Lee moulds , they are not excessive in cost and afford you the opportunity to experiment.
My first mould for 30-30 was the Lee 113-F , but for some reason I have come to prefer shooting the 170 - F.
I like to try different moulds, weights and designs also and Lee 2- cavity moulds let you try many different things. Go try some.
Gary

Buckeye Bandit, was kind enough to send me a cast boolit care package. I'm currently trying out the Lyman 311316. Really excited about this one. If this works out for my purposes, I'm thinking a 4 cavity NOE mold with 2GC and 2PB would be a really good way to go.

I do like your idea about trying out the inexpensive molds. My eye has been caught by the Lee 311-100-2R. Plain based, seems to have been used in 30-30 previously with success upto 50 yards. Lead will go along way with the small size of the boolit and provide me with a bunch of experience. Buckeye Bandit's casts are super nice. No flaws anywhere, they look commercial quality. I'm going to have to do a bunch of practice to get casting that well.

jsizemore
02-23-2016, 09:19 PM
You may want to look at 30 carbine boolits. They run on the lighter weights and should be avaijable from the commercial outfits. I may have some laying around from the good old days.