PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on the 327 round

bouncer50
02-11-2016, 02:21 PM
I also like the 32 caliber round cheap to cast bullets for and to reload for. I would like a 6 inch barrel model to target shoot with. Does S&W or Ruger make a 6 inch adjustable sight model. I think it a good idea to shoot 32 shorts, longs. 32 mags, 327 rounds. What are the bore size their using now on the 32 308 to 312:cbpour:I also have a Colt 32-20 and a 30 caliber auto-mag that fun to shoot and a quite a few 32 autos and a couple of French 32 long that i now reload for.

straightwall
02-11-2016, 02:46 PM
I have one .32 Long DA revolver and like it. I have another .32 H&R mag SA Ruger on layaway. I need to buy some reloading equipment next, I think. [emoji4]

5614estell
02-11-2016, 03:52 PM
My Single Seven had .314 throats and .312 grooves

rking22
02-11-2016, 06:36 PM
I have an SP101 3 inch 327Fed, I like it. I was not looking for one the day I bought it, was after a 16ga 870, but it was too good a deal to let pass. Now I am very glad I was sitting there that day, it is a very nice gun/round. It is not as pericingly loud as I had expected(but I don't shoot factory loads). I had a 30 car BH and the memories of the intensity of sound and blast told me I wasn't interested in a 3 inch 327! Well the SP shoots 120 gr bullets at 1000 very accurately, also I see no decline in accuracy with 32HR loads. I also have a 32SWL M31-1 and a 32HR SS, I like 32s, what can I say. Now, the 327 needs .314 sized bullets, the single six in 32HR is .311 throats and the M31 is .313, trusting my memory here. Anyway, I size everything foir these 3 guns to .314 and they shoot small game accurate. The 32HR will shoot .312s just as well, maybe a touch better, but not worth keeping up with. The 327 will NOT shoot MY .312s worth a hoot. There are several on here to give you the typical sizes on the single sevens and others. The new 4 inch 327 SPs may not measure the same as my old 3 inch ???? There is also a big writeup in one of the backissues of Handloader.
I like the 327Fed, BUT I don't shoot it at 327Fed power levels,more like 32HR levels. I have bigger guns if I need more juice :)

Blackwater
02-11-2016, 06:53 PM
I'd dearly LOVE to have one in the Ruger SA's, but it's so dang LOUD! I have enough permanent 24/7 ringing in my ears already! The smaller bore's higher pitch really pierces my ears, so ..... as much as I'd love one, I don't see one in my future. Even the .32 H&R is a bit unpleasant for me. I usually wear muffs even in a deer stand now, due to that tinnitus. It does NOT reverse itself once it's established, so .... I'm a lot more careful about my ears these days.

That's the only thing keeping me from having one, though, and I'm saddened by its lacking. It would make a wonderful field gun for me in my area.

Ramjet-SS
02-11-2016, 10:15 PM
I have a converted K frame and love this gun with 120 grain Cast HP from a Mihec mold. 1200 FPS from the converted Model 16-4. The gun is very very accurate. Hits harder than you think but is very controllable. One of my favorite cartridges.

Outpost75
02-11-2016, 10:23 PM
I don't see the need for the .327, because in a modern revolver you can load the .32 S&W Long to H&R Magnum pressures and equal .32-20 blackpowder ballistics, which are ideal for a small game gun. The .327 may have advantages for flatter shooting at longer ranges for anchoring larger animals which you don't intend to eat, but IMHO once you get over the velocities which cast, plainbased bullets are capable of, you increase meat destruction, and I use my .32 handguns and Bunny Rifle to shoot game for the table, and I prefer to be able to eat right up to the bullet hole without having to cut out blood shot meat or spit out lead and bone splinters.

The .32 H&R Magnum has all the capacity needed. The .32 S&W will also do it in a strong, modern gun.

Test of .32 S&W Long Factory Loads Vs. Alliant #2400 In Revolvers and Rifle
Remington cases, Federal 200 primers in all handloads:

Ammo Type________________Colt 2”__________Colt 4”___________H&R18”

PMC 98 LRN factory_________687, 13 Sd_______797, 17Sd________945, 16 Sd
Highest velocity factory load__103 ft-lbs._______138 ft.lbs.________194 ft.-lbs.

Federal 98 LRN factory_______n/f_____________729, 12 Sd________884, 35 Sd

Remington 98 LRN__________n/f_____________643, 24 Sd________825, 17 Sd

Accurate 31-114D, 2.5 BE____746, 9 Sd________795, 15 Sd________947, 11 Sd
Max. for pre-1960 revolvers___141ft.-lbs.______160 ft.-lbs.________227 ft.-lbs.

Accurate 31-134D, 6.3 #2400__828, 19 Sd_______913, 16 Sd________1221, 16 Sd
Max. for post-1960 Colts_____204 ft.-lbs._______248 ft.-lbs._________443 ft.-lbs.!
Ejected cases fall out easily, clean burn, accurate, recoil similar to .38 Special +P.
Accurate in the rifle! Shoots to the sights at 50 yards in the revolver! This one is “it”.
__________________________________________________ ____________________

contender1
02-11-2016, 10:33 PM
"Does S&W or Ruger make a 6 inch adjustable sight model?"

Ruger has made some SA's in 32 H&R & .327 with a 5-1/2" bbl. I have some of each & truly enjoy them!

Dpmsman
02-12-2016, 12:28 AM
The longest barrel S&W put on a 327 was 3" they also had a 2 1/8" model shortly before they dropped the cartridge. I have the 3", love carrying and shooting it. It's a real accurate little revolver and the 100gr American eagle loads have some real punch. I haven't cast for it yet so I haven't slugged the barrel yet. I really wish smith would come out with a k frame 327 maybe a 7 shot. I was pretty hot for a single seven for a while until I read of some problems with them.

wrench man
02-12-2016, 03:17 AM
The Ruger Single Seven's have adjustable sights.
The 30 Carbine in a Ruger Blackhawk has no more bark than a full house 357?, the 327 Federal has them both beat hands down on it's report!, haven't compared it to the 44 Magnum yet?

Harry O
02-12-2016, 04:58 PM
I have no personal experience with the 327 Magnum. However, I have a lot of experience with the .32 H&R, the .32 S&W, and the .32 S&W Long (and a little bit with .32 Short & Long Colt). Early on with the .32 H&R, the brass was poor (brittle). I used mostly .32 Long cases. Most were loaded with heavier loads than standard .32 Long loads. The accuracy was very iffy. Using short cases in longer chambers, round nose bullets shot well. Some SWC shot reasonably good and some shot poor. Full wadcutters were completely inaccurate.

Keep that in mind if you plan to shoot shorter cases in the 327 chamber.

dragon813gt
02-12-2016, 06:31 PM
I don't get the "report" comments. I know we all hear things differently. And it's a round that definitely requires hearing protection. I don't find it any worse than a 357. I haven't found a need to double up on hearing protection but I only shoot outside.

I love the round. You can always load to lower levels for hunting. Full house loads are close to 357 performance ballistically. And it's a lot more controllable round. Less lead and powder use is always a good thing :)

JSH
02-12-2016, 11:15 PM
" Full house loads are close to 357 performance ballistically."

I won't argue over that, but not really. My Blackhawk/TC loads pushing a 140@1500 fps and change would be more in line with the above statement. The 327 still lacks case capacity to come close to the 327. 327 is not all that much more than what the 30 carbine can do with hand loads.

dragon813gt
02-12-2016, 11:38 PM
While I did type it, the ballistic tables prove my point. It is a trade off as the bullet is smaller in diameter and less weight. But the recoil is less so it's more manageable. And you get an extra round per cylinder when comparing the same models chambered for both rounds. The round screams and dumps a lot of power on target. I think it's a fun round to shoot and smack steel at distance. I do have a SP101 chambered in it and would carry it if I didn't have other options. I won't carry a 357 as the recoil is to much and my follow up shots are compromised. Everyone is different so what works for me may not work for you.

spfd1903
02-12-2016, 11:53 PM
Very new to the .327 magnum myself. Just bought a Ruger LCR in that caliber. I fired some factory rounds in .327 mag, and .32 SW long. The recoil is nothing in the .32 SW long, but a sharp snap for the .327. Been awhile since I shot a friend's snub nose .357 so hard to compare. The .327's was noticeable, but not un-mangeable. The 100 grain American Eagle JSP did blow through 6" of soaked compressed phone books from 10', for what that proves. Just ordered a Hornady die set that handles the .327 Fed. mag, .32 H & R, and .32 SW long. Already have the Lyman molds for 75 grain and 85 grain, .313 size.

Green Frog
02-13-2016, 10:40 AM
Here we go again! If your archive searching skills are up to it, you can find several threads on the 327 and the guns that shoot them on this forum. There was a lot of this type of discussion around the time the Ruger Single Seven was released, some gunsmithing discussions around the building of custom S&W K-frames on Model 64 and 66 platforms, and some general reloading info about the 327 FM round from time to time.

Somebody always comes on to say that the 32 revolver family is worthless and should be allowed to die a speedy death and somebody else comes on to say they are the best thing since the pop up toaster and everybody should have one or three of them. I watch with amusement as I fondle my "Model 616," one of the custom-built Smiths (on a Model 66 donor gun) and think about all the great things it will do. I have bullet moulds from about 85 or 90 grains up to 125, plentiful brass in 32 S&W L, 32 H&R, and 327 FM and a Ruger Blackhawk 8-shooter in 327 FM as well, so I recognize the value of the caliber and of its many applications and great potential. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! :Fire:

Froggie

Dpmsman
02-15-2016, 10:37 AM
Green frog may I ask who converted your 66? I have an old beat up 66 I could use as a donor.

Mauser48
02-15-2016, 12:34 PM
Id get a 357 and shoot .38's. Brass is really cheap and plentiful. It will do everything a 327 can and more.

Green Frog
02-15-2016, 09:50 PM
Green frog may I ask who converted your 66? I have an old beat up 66 I could use as a donor.

I had my conversion done by Andy Horvath of LaGrange, OH. I got the needed parts (the cylinder and barrel for Model 617s) and sent the barrel in for the rebore at Clearwater Reboring when I took all the rest to him. Andy's work was fairly quick, but the queue at Clearwater was quite long and apparently stays that way. Check this thread from the S&W Forum for more details;

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/260686-project-616-a.html

Also, you might benefit from a glance through this thread where Crank and I discussed his conversion of a Model 64 and my Model 66 and brought out pitfalls we had both encountered and how we dealt with them;

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?235235-Converting-a-S-amp-W-64-7-to-327-Federal

I know the former goes about 3 pages and the latter about 13, but that means there is a LOT of good stuff in them! They're both worth the time to read them if you are considering building the 616 conversion. Every time the subject comes up, there seems to be a ton of interest, so I wish there were some way I could meld these two threads and put them on a single website. Oh well... I guess they're worth two clicks! ;)

Froggie

tctender
02-15-2016, 10:32 PM
Well i have one in 12'' contender barrel with 308 bore.Have not shot it a lot but what i have seems to be a nice caliber for plinking or small game up to a small deer with the right bullet. This barrel will be faster than the revolvers and can shoot a little heavier bullet.

carolina sorillo
02-15-2016, 11:17 PM
I'm currently selling my last .327. Not because anything negative about the cartridge though, I really like it! Most who knock it, have never tried it! Mine have been shot by 13yo girls to adults. If you don't reload and you have a kid you want to teach how to shoot a handgun, you can pop in some .32acp's. They barely moved my GP100 and were accurate enough for knocking cans around.

As for "not having a purpose". It does fill a niche in the personal defense arena. It has 9mm+P ballistics from a pocket revolver with less recoil than a .38Special in the same platform. And being a revolver there's no need to worry about having to rack a slide!

I've been petitioning Ruger to produce an American rifle in .327 to no avail. I explained, though I'm no gunsmith, that it has a rim diameter very near the .223 so all that would be needed is a barrel and tweek the magazine and they'd have a great companion to their Single Seven! A friend of mine bought a Marlin .32 H&R mag and had it reamed to accept the .327. He ran a few American Eagle 100gr jsp's over my chronograph and they were doing just shy of 2100fps!! I would imagine the 90gr Sierra JHP's would be down right explosive if ran at similar pressure and around 2300!

C.S.

dragon813gt
02-15-2016, 11:24 PM
He killed the value of that Marlin. You can't buy one for under $1k if you can even find one. Then there is the issue of the action not being strong enough to handle the round. We're talking 45,000 PSI on an action w/ the next closest round maxing at 36,000 PSI. Don't get me wrong I was on the hunt for a Marlin to convert myself. But the cost of the base rifle and action strength kept me from doing it.

winchester 71
02-15-2016, 11:59 PM
Just finished off my first 5000 primers in mine and I couldn't be happier......seens to shoot better now then new and all I have shot is lead in a NOE 311316 hp, a Ohaus 311316, a Lyman wad cutter that is the generation 3 and the Lee wad cutter with the point on it...........Kill coon good at 75 or so yards, does well on cats and p-dogs with the NOE hp is a real home run..........fit and finish on the Lipskey 7 1/2 inch 327 were good and I wouldn't part with mine for a Smith and Wesson or anything else I have seen in this species..............:bigsmyl2:

carolina sorillo
02-16-2016, 12:21 AM
He killed the value of that Marlin. You can't buy one for under $1k if you can even find one. Then there is the issue of the action not being strong enough to handle the round. We're talking 45,000 PSI on an action w/ the next closest round maxing at 36,000 PSI. Don't get me wrong I was on the hunt for a Marlin to convert myself. But the cost of the base rifle and action strength kept me from doing it.

He only killed the "resale" value of it.:wink: He don't plan on selling it though. So, for his purposes he raised the value of it. He is aware of the pressure differences too. He sold 2 other guns to raise the funds for the purchase, paid well over a grand for it and STILL did it!!:veryconfu It may not have been the wisest financial move but it does make a great companion to his converted 6 shot Single Sixes.

C.S.

rintinglen
02-16-2016, 03:07 AM
I have spent much of the last year and a half working to develop loads for mine. I have two Ruger Single Sevens and would have a 4 inch SP101 if I could get one here in california. I like the Cartridge very much and am enamored of the wild to mild versatility of the gun, with loads ranging from pop-gun 32 S&W on up to loud barking .357 pretenders. Those of you who don't have a copy need to get Brian Pearce's article from the Feb. 2012 Handloader Magazine. The only issue I have with his work is that in my guns, Power Pistol is a non-starter. He reported very good results with that powder, but I have not been able to duplicate them. Groups run double the size of those of more compatible powders. H-110 is the best powder that I have found for this cartridge, but Longshot, WW-296 and 2400 have also done well as has Unique. Somewhere between 11.8 and 12.8 grains of H-110 will do great things under a 100 grain boolit. I am no longer capable of seeing well enough to extract the best from iron sights but I have managed several 1 inch 5 shot groups at 25 yards with the 100 grain SWC third from the left using the 7 1/2 inch Ruger in good light.161089Of the seven boolits depicted, the 311-008 and RCBS 32-100 SWC at the left are too long in the nose to allow crimping in the crimp groove for use in the Single Seven in 327 brass, but either can be used in 32 H&R brass. The Rcbs boolit works very well in that application with Unique.

Dpmsman
02-16-2016, 08:23 AM
I had my conversion done by Andy Horvath of LaGrange, OH. I got the needed parts (the cylinder and barrel for Model 617s) and sent the barrel in for the rebore at Clearwater Reboring when I took all the rest to him. Andy's work was fairly quick, but the queue at Clearwater was quite long and apparently stays that way. Check this thread from the S&W Forum for more details;

http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-revolvers-1980-present/260686-project-616-a.html

Also, you might benefit from a glance through this thread where Crank and I discussed his conversion of a Model 64 and my Model 66 and brought out pitfalls we had both encountered and how we dealt with them;

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?235235-Converting-a-S-amp-W-64-7-to-327-Federal

I know the former goes about 3 pages and the latter about 13, but that means there is a LOT of good stuff in them! They're both worth the time to read them if you are considering building the 616 conversion. Every time the subject comes up, there seems to be a ton of interest, so I wish there were some way I could meld these two threads and put them on a single website. Oh well... I guess they're worth two clicks! ;)

Froggie

thanks for the links I will read up on it