PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo (?) Single Action .22

Bent Ramrod
02-10-2016, 08:20 PM
All,

I have a little .22 SA revolver with a broken trigger sear. There are no markings except "22 Caliber" and some European proof marks on the barrel, and a buffalo on the grips.

I looked for this revolver and it appears that it has been made over the years under a bunch of different names and sold by many different firms. Bob's Gun Parts has what appears to be a match for the revolver in their catalog under this heading:

BUFFALO .S.A. .22 German Small Frame. Known also as HS-21,Texas Scout, West Duo, Liberty 13 , Kimel, Herbert Schmidt, E-15 Etc.

I was wondering whether anyone ever ordered parts under any of these names for a gun that looks like the photo and whether they fit properly or not. I'd like to get it working properly again; even with the ruined trigger, it shoots pretty well.

TIA for any help.

Mica_Hiebert
02-10-2016, 08:36 PM
I imagine a new trigger can't be too much of a gamble if it ends up not being correct.

tim338
02-10-2016, 10:31 PM
I have a buffalo scout .22 single action. Looks the same as yours.

chevyiron420
02-11-2016, 10:18 AM
Looks like a Hawes (sp) made by JP Sauer. Maybe?

nseries
02-11-2016, 11:16 AM
Most, if not all of the parts are most likely interchangeable with the Colt Frontier Scout. Used Colt parts to replace the hammer and trigger in a Buffalo. Hammer screw shank was slightly larger in diameter than the Colt part.

StuBach
02-11-2016, 07:21 PM
I have the same gun that was bought new by my dad when he was young. It is most often known as the Buffalo Single Action and yes Bob's page for this one is the set of parts your looking for.

Had to get new grips and ordered through Bob and was very satisfied. Parts matched exactly so you should be fine ordering from him.

Bent Ramrod
02-12-2016, 05:27 PM
Thanks a lot for the info, guys. This place is the greatest!:)

Blackwater
02-12-2016, 07:39 PM
It looks like my old "Buffalo Scout" - my first handgun. Bought it 3 days after I turned 18. Back then, you could carry openly if you were 18, but couldn't buy one until you were 21. I signed my Dad's name, and told him about it, but he didn't care. Used my own VERY hard to obtain money, and I guess he figured it was my money and I'd shown him that I was safe with any gun I handled.

Mine was made in Germany, and I suspect that one is too? Don't know that, though. As an interesting tale about mine, Dad and I were in the garden one day picking beans IIRC, and he asked to give the gun a try. I gave it to him, and he shot at a light spot on a tree nearby at about 20 yds., and put 5 in a nickel sized group right next to that light spot! All I could say was "Wow, Dad! Look at what you did!" He was a wise old Marine, and just stood silent, but I swear I saw him stick his chest out a bit, and raise his chin!" "Pretty good gun ya' got there," was all he ever said, and I could only sit there dumbfounded! I'd never been able to get it to shoot THAT well!

But it was a good gun to start off with, and mine was pretty darned accurate, but I really messed up when I finally succumbed to trying to fan it. That beat up the ratchet, and it was pretty much trash after that little error. It may well shoot decently, but do NOT fan it! Those steels were pretty soft, and it'll likely tear it up pronto!

There are certainly better guns out there, but it'll do to ride the river with if you baby it a little and don't fan it. If you can pick it up for cheap, I think I'd do it, but I'm prejudiced because of the memories I have sewed up in that old gun of mine. FWIW?

Walkingwolf
02-12-2016, 08:07 PM
FIE E15 is the ancestor of the current Heritage line. Parts for both are available on Numrich gun parts online.