PDA

View Full Version : 35 remington rifle

Frank46
10-17-2005, 02:38 AM
I feel the need. After this last fiasco regarding the 141 gamemaster in 35 rem
(its going back to the dealer) I finally have decided to build my own. There I finally said it. I will use either a 1891 argentine mauser action or an 1895 chilean action. Most likely the argie as I have a bent bolt for that action. Don't really need axel style bbl just something heavier than the military bbl. Bbl length would be about 22" long. What twists are available and what would you suggest?. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Frank

Buckshot
10-17-2005, 07:51 AM
............Well the Argie would probably be the eaier to get feeding with that straight line magazine. My buddy and I had somewhat heavy sporter 20" barrels installed on our small ring Mausers. We spec'd a 16" twist. Reason was that we figured they's see more peestol boolits then anything else. Both of them shoot 200 gr cast like gangbusters. The more WC846 I fed mine, the faster it went (well duh!) but the tighter the groups got.

Finally ran out of case at 41.0grs and 2250 fps. Has factory 35 Rem beat all to heck and back. We sent the actions off to Montana Rifleman IIRC it was about a 3 week turnaround. Very nice work too.

http://www.fototime.com/89E2F2C1A9E4DC7/standard.jpg

DOn't know if you can get much of an idea of the girth of the barrel from the photo, but it's .720" in diameter at the muzzle. It's a tad muzzle heavy which helps it hang well. It handles real good.

http://www.fototime.com/AEC40C4BAA66E93/standard.jpghttp://www.fototime.com/DA9985F72A3A411/standard.jpg

No feed mods required and the extractor handles the smaller rim just fine (both our rifles did). The front sight was a Rem M700 item. Works fine with the rear peep.

...............Buckshot

Frank46
10-18-2005, 01:45 AM
Buckshot, was kinda hoping you'd respond. I just won a bid on an 1891 argie stock on ebay. Hopefully will see it soon. And I remembered you had done this before. When you sent the actions in for the bbls, did you specify any special throating so as to seat
out the boolits further or go with standard throat. Does he drill and tap receivers for scope mts?. Frank

Buckshot
10-19-2005, 02:19 AM
...........Frank, we didn't specify anything except twist and barrel weight. D&T foa scope? Yup, they do pretty much all of it. They're the ones I had chamber and install the barrel on my 375-06, and they duplicated a barrel for my 1884 Trapdoor. Plus they D&T'd for the rear sight, chambered and installed it. Slipped right back into the stock and the barrel bands fit good.

I bought the barrel from them for my M95 Steyr conversion to 30-40, but I had a local part time gunsmith chamber and install it.

.............Buckshot

Frank46
10-20-2005, 02:07 AM
Buckshot, thanks for the info. Was thinking that after the breeching ring that sits against the receiver that I'd continue the chamber diameter all the way to the muzzle.
I have to dig out a barrel stub to get some idea of the measurements. Thanks again. Frank