PDA

View Full Version : Air Handgun suggestions?

PerpetualStudent
02-09-2016, 06:17 PM
Looking for something on the cheap side (<100 bucks) that gets enough accuracy that I can challenge myself and improve even with limited range (~20 ft). Does such a thing even exist or am I asking too much ?

The crossman multipumps seem to be my best bet, but I'm very ignorant about air guns. Any information, education or suggested readings would be appreciated.

Background:
I'm looking to get an air handgun so that I can start getting consistent trigger time in the house or backyard. I've considered other options (wax bullets and gallery loads) but the neighbors are pretty close and I don't want make anyone uncomfortable by going outside and I'm leery of setting off primers without good ventilation- so that pretty much leaves air pistols. Since I do plan on casting I have a preference for lead pellets, I'll keep them and eventually cast them into big boy bullets. I don't like the idea of buying CO2 canisters but that's not a hill to die on. It'd still be cheaper than going to the range.

sixshootertexan
02-09-2016, 06:29 PM
I plan on getting one of these. http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_P17/614 They say they are really good for such a cheap gun. It's the cheaper version of their P3. http://www.pyramydair.com/s/m/Beeman_P3/556

Here's the cheapest place to get it.
http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/Beeman-P17-Deluxe-Pellet-PistolNo-Sight-2004_p_10859.html

jcwit
02-09-2016, 08:34 PM
I'll concur with sixshootertexan. I have one of both, the P17 will shoot right along with the P3.

Use a quality match pellet and you will be impressed either way.

WRideout
02-10-2016, 12:02 AM
My wife got me a Crossman pump-up for Christmas (at my request). American Classic, I believe. I really like it. I'm too cheap to buy CO2 ctgs all the time, and this gun I can shoot in the basement any time. At a measured fourteen feet, I can get cloverleaf groups with Crossman WC pellets. With three pumps, it is still pretty powerful, and needs a stack of magazines for a backstop.
Wayne
PS pictures later

dkf
02-10-2016, 12:16 AM
I'd recommend a crosman 2240. There are also a lot of upgrades available for them if you want to go that route. I have a crooked barn 2240 that I bought years ago and have had a lot of fun with. One Co2 cartridge lasts pretty long before power drops off noticeably.

GhostHawk
02-10-2016, 09:31 AM
I have a pair of Crossman 1322's. One has a laser on it, the other a cheap red dot sight.

At 20 feet both will put 5 shots in a dime, one ragged hole, with change left over.

This is with the shoulder stock on, freehand.

I bought mine as a shooters kit, came with glasses, ammo pouch, some ammo, the carbine stock, and the pistol.

I built a 20' range in my basement so I can keep my shooting eye working in the winter. Then an indoor rifle range opened and now I shoot every week or 2 all year long.

Still the 1322's are in my opinion a good buy. As accurate as you can hold at reasonable distances.

I also have the Sheridan Blue Streak, mine is from mid 70's, 1 owner rifle. Women have come and gone, trucks have died, dogs have died, everything has failed me at one point or another. The Sheridan never has, likely never will.

SharpsShooter
02-10-2016, 10:25 AM
I have the Beeman PT 17. At 20 yards it will put 10 shot into a dime if you do your part. I put a long eye relief scope on mine and off of sandbags it is amazing.

SS

02-10-2016, 11:50 AM
Webley "Tempest". Great air pistol. One cock of the barrel and you're good to go.

PerpetualStudent
02-11-2016, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I think I'm leaning towards that PT 17 now. While I like the idea of being able to pump up more power (possibly enough to humanely dispose of pests) I don't like the idea of three pumps per shot while punching paper.

I used a single stroke pneumatic back in college and while I was envious of the CO2 shooters, having to perform a non-shooting action between shots really did help my marksmanship by breaking up the shots and making me take my time for each new shot.

Kestrel4k
02-11-2016, 07:52 PM
I know it's above your price range (my apologies) but the Daisy Avanti 717 is an excellent entry-level target air pistol:
http://www.pyramydair.com/product-all-reviews/m/Daisy_Avanti_717_Triumph_Match/1241

I have one; haven't shot it yet but it came to me very highly recommended.
(Good reviews here (http://www.pyramydair.com/product-all-reviews/m/Daisy_Avanti_717_Triumph_Match/1241).)

cbashooter
02-11-2016, 09:54 PM
+1 on the P17.mine will shoot 1.5" at 25 yards with a cheap bsa red dot.

Grantb
02-13-2016, 01:35 AM
The Daisy Avanti 717 is amazingly accurate for an inexpensive air pistol. I bought one used 10 years ago and fired thousands of pellets through it. It is easy to maintain.

tacklebury
02-14-2016, 01:12 AM
I use a 1322 Crosman Pump pistol for my pest removal here. Have very good luck with the Beeman Silver Arrow for penetration and energy. Also have Crosman Ultra-Magnums with the domed heads which work well. Gamo perfect rounds don't work well as they just roll out the barrel. I started my hand-gunning years ago at age 14 with a Crosman 1377 and killed a lot of squirrels, field rats and chipmunks with it then. With the new models I do recommend getting the Steel chamber upgrade kit with the better adjustable sight if you can swing it. Makes it an even better airgun. ;)

victorfox
02-15-2016, 06:39 AM
If you get the P17, learn to dissassemble the thing, polish the piston and buy a bag of O-rings. They usually fail at the "trigger" valve and at the compression piston. Aside from this, the P17 is probably one of the best bets, unless you plan to cull pests in the yard. It's very accurate and if it was not devilish expensive here i'd buy one myself (you can buy a real firearm, like a Rossi Matched Pair in 410/22 or Mossberg 702/CBC 7022 at its price....)

Stay away from the cheaper break barrels, most are not accurate and the plastic gamos are total **** accuracy and durability wise...

The Crosman 1322/77 are a great bet in America. Here they suffer the high cost factor, but are accurate and powerful enough to take pests and small game at close quarters. As you may know it's probably the 1022 and 870 of airguns, given the number of mods you can add later.

PerpetualStudent
02-28-2016, 04:46 PM
Well I finally got to shoot my P17. Only a handful of pellets through it so far and no bench testing. But I do believe that it is more accurate than I am so far. Looking forward to regular trigger time- thanks so much guys.

jcwit
02-28-2016, 10:53 PM
Glad you like it. It's a very accurate pistol, at a very reasonable price.

Silvercreek Farmer
02-29-2016, 08:55 PM
I hope your P17 treats you well! I just recently purchased a 1322. Should have done it a long time ago! Don't be afraid to stretch it out past 25+ yards. I can routinely hit a #10 coffee can offhand with open sights at 40-50 yards without too much trouble. No doubt your accuracy with your powder burners will improve after a bunch of cheap practice!