PDA

View Full Version : Sand blasting a 500 Smith & Wesson

Lead Freak
02-09-2016, 05:37 PM
I'm trying to restore a 500 Smith & Wesson (10.5" barrel) that my brother owned and would like to restore the factory satin finish (media blasting). Does anyone know where I might be able to get this done correctly. I'm assuming that it would need to be disassembled with areas protected.

Sagebrush7
02-09-2016, 06:42 PM
I would check with S&W.

Vann
02-09-2016, 06:49 PM
Yeah, S&W would probably be the best way.

First the revolver would have to be completely disassembled, then the area's that you don't want done would need to be masked off. Then you would have to get the correct glass beads for the desired finish.

I've never taken apart a X frame before so I can't say how hard that would be. Both ends of the barrel will need to be plugged, but that's no big deal. I guess if all points of entry on the frame where masked off disassembly may not be required, but any glass beads in the action will lock it up.

M-Tecs
02-09-2016, 07:00 PM
Glass bead or plastic media is what is used. My guess is that they are plastic media blasted.

country gent
02-09-2016, 07:27 PM
How bad is the finish now? Discolored, dings, scratches, or other issues? You might check with some of the custom pirtolsmiths to see what is recomended and prices. S&W may offer a good deal also. If scratched or discolored ( Stained ) the hand polish required may be more than the media blasting for the matte finnish is. It will require disassembly as and media tha gets in the works will be abrasive and destroy surfaces over time. To get an even Matte finnish a consistant surface is needed stains or discolor smooth areas will show thru the matte surface making them uneven.

Lead Freak
02-10-2016, 12:42 AM
I called Smith & Wesson today. They normally charge around $300 to do the job, which could take up to 3 mo to get it back. I may just sell it as is, rather than spend the money on the satin finish. It's the 10 1/2" model and has approx. 200 rounds run down the barrel. Not sure what I should be asking for it.

Vann
02-10-2016, 02:31 AM
I'm sure a local gunsmith would do it for a good bit less than that.

MtGun44
02-11-2016, 08:27 PM
Glass beading gives a satin finish but is way different than the factory S&W finish I have seen
on my S&W revolvers - but I don't have an X frame.

However, I have made massive improvements, essentially matching S&W factory SS finish on older
revolvers with green 3M abrasive pads. They are an extremely fine abrasive, will follow
contours well, and if you look at the direction of the microscratches that are already there
from the original finishing process before you start and match the direction, it should look
really good for a modest effort.

Bill