PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone run this accurate mold 45-230mz?

Drew P
02-09-2016, 11:55 AM
I'm looking at it as a powder coating option for 1911 and others. Looks nice, also, why do all accurate molds have flat points?

Cowboy_Dan
02-09-2016, 02:49 PM
The reason all Accurate dssigns are flat point is because his process requires a minimum meplat. I can only imagine that he starts by making a cylindrical hole for his cutting tool to pilot on.

Drew P
02-09-2016, 04:02 PM
That's what I was thinking too but then I thought about how all my drills even have a point to them. Plus if they are cnc there is plenty of ball mills and the like that can make a not-flat shape. Just wondering. Most bullets are pointy, so it's curious that none of his are.

gwpercle
02-09-2016, 08:22 PM
I always thought flat points were better. Of course Elmer Keith and Skeeter Skelton had a lot to do with formulating my ideas !

Drew P
02-10-2016, 02:27 AM
They may very well be in a lot of cases (pun intended) but not every case! Like long range low drag type stuff comes to mind. For me it comes into play on this particular bullet because I want to have these feed though my home brewed bullet collator and flat points don't flip quite as well as RN shapes for me.

I think these will work fine however. The flat points I've had trouble with were wider on the flats.

shooter93
02-10-2016, 07:49 PM
His molds are lathe bored so he has a minimum meplat diameter. He also only does 30 caliber and up. He could do smaller but I had asked him about making a 22 caliber mold he told me the small ones were so hard on his tooling that it increased the cost too much.

Drew P
02-10-2016, 10:05 PM
I'm all about keeping costs down ;)