PDA

View Full Version : One Powder for .30 carbine M1 and pistol

Bmi48219
02-09-2016, 10:44 AM
I plan to reload .30 carbine (for general plinking). Have a M1 carbine and an AMT AutoMag III. Would prefer one load that will function in both. Plan on trying cast or plated cast bullets first. Anyone have a powder recommendation that will function reliably in both guns? If I could use the same powder for 9 mm Luger loads that would be a plus.

n.h.schmidt
02-09-2016, 11:05 AM
I have used several powders for 30 carbine. The best by far has been H110. It's also worked best in my Ruger revolver in 30 carbine.The chamber is cut real close in that and H110 didn't leave any powder in the chambers. You are not going to find any powder that will work well for both 30 carb and 9mm.
n.h.schmidt

Ed in North Texas
02-09-2016, 01:25 PM
You didn't list a projectile weight, so going with a range of 100 to 115 for the Carbine and 115 to 124 for the 9x19mm. Assuming 311359 for the Carbine cast, I've been happy with IMR 4227. It is listed for Carbine and 9x19mm in loads on Loaddata. Other powder is Unique, which certainly is unique in being useful in lots of loads. Don't know if either power will function the AMT, but they both are up at the top in fps and it is most logical they will. I've never used 4227 (either H or IMR) for 9x19mm.

Hope that helps.

Bmi48219
02-09-2016, 01:33 PM
I have used several powders for 30 carbine. The best by far has been H110. It's also worked best in my Ruger revolver in 30 carbine.The chamber is cut real close in that and H110 didn't leave any powder in the chambers. You are not going to find any powder that will work well for both 30 carb and 9mm.
n.h.schmidt

Thanks, if it functions well in carbine it should work in AMT too. Are you using any particular bullet? I was going to try a RNL or same in copper plating.
trying to keep costs down hence my searh for a powder that will work in 9 mm.

Bullwolf
02-09-2016, 08:23 PM
I load for an AMT Automag III, and an Inland M1 30 carbine.

My favorite military duplication load is 15 grains of Win296/H110 under a 110 grain J bullet.

Works well in both.

I've downloaded the Automag pistol before with other powders like AA#9, IMR4227, and A2400, but W296/H110 has always been my go to propellant for the 30 Carbine.

- Bullwolf

.30carbnut
02-21-2016, 12:55 PM
I plan to reload .30 carbine (for general plinking). Have a M1 carbine and an AMT AutoMag III. Would prefer one load that will function in both. Plan on trying cast or plated cast bullets first. Anyone have a powder recommendation that will function reliably in both guns? If I could use the same powder for 9 mm Luger loads that would be a plus.

I have been loading for the .30 Carbine for about 25 years, In 4 rifles and 6 hand guns (2 autos and 4 wheel guns) and several more for other people over the years. The only powder that I know will work in all of them and a 9mm is Alliant's Unique (that there is load data for). as for the .30 Carbine I am very fond of Alliant's 2400 it is clean burning and gives good results for me in all 3 types of the .30 Carbine firearms (ymmv). Over the years I have developed several loads with Bullseye, Blue Dot, Titegroup, 800-X, Longshot, IMR 4227, H110/296 and 2400 for each type of action that work with lead and jacketed bullets. I have found that in the semiautomatic's lead can be somewhat difficult to load with it takes some messing with the loads to get it to function without leading the barrel but not difficult just some tinkering which is why I reload anyway. Hope this helps some.

Bmi48219
02-22-2016, 02:46 AM
Thanks carbnut, I am headed in that direction. Ordered Unique, no one had it in stock, got an email it arrived today. Ordered .30 fmj (best deal I could find was armscor for .108 cents each.) Graff is out of stock but hoping they get more. My automag seems to function better with fmj's, the soft nose varieties jamb on feeding once in a while. Carbine is better with them but once in a while jambs too. Have same problem with soft nose rounds in my Stoeger Luger but more often. I have nearly a thousand 9 mm plated rnl. Bought 20 years ago. Loaded 50 a few days ago. Hope they feed better or I'll wind up repurposing the lead. With company visiting I won't be able to find out until next month.
How do your .30 autos handle lead rounds? Any feed problems?

Shiloh
02-22-2016, 10:27 PM
I went with H-110 I no longer have one. A fellow shooter has an M-1 Carbine and a Blackhawk in . 30 Carbine.
LOUD!!

SHiloh

Captain O
04-06-2016, 06:41 PM
Hodgdon's H-110, or WW-296. The round isn't a "pistol cartridge" (contrary to popular, and erroneous, assertions). These propellants are (in order), those that provide the highest velocities for the cartridge.

The .30 is loud, and generates lower velocities in handguns because said propellants are burning outside the arm's barrel. This results in the impressive "fireballs" at the muzzle of the handgun(s). It should be obvious to even the most causal observer that this is because the .30 Carbine (7.62 x 33) is a light rifle cartridge and is ill-suited for use in shorter handgun barrels.

Le Loup Solitaire
04-06-2016, 09:04 PM
296 and 110 are good powders for the 30 carb. I have always used 4227; the recommended load for that was 14 grains, but I never have been able to get more than 13.5 into any case. It has always worked fine for me with grouping around what I can get wit GI ball. I stopped using that load in my Ruger because of the muzzleblast and switched to 5 grains of Unique. LLS

Captain O
04-06-2016, 11:14 PM
296 and 110 are good powders for the 30 carb. I have always used 4227; the recommended load for that was 14 grains, but I never have been able to get more than 13.5 into any case. It has always worked fine for me with grouping around what I can get wit GI ball. I stopped using that load in my Ruger because of the muzzleblast and switched to 5 grains of Unique. LLS

This shouldn't come as a surprise. I has mentioned earlier this is a light rifle cartridge. With a peak pressure of 38,500 psi, it isn't to be taken lightly. If you can't handle the original GI rifle load in the revolver, perhaps you can have a cylinder chambered for the 7.62 x 25 Tokarev cartridge. Not only is it quieter and just as accurate, but it should shoot well and provide your revolver with a longer service life. It should be less expensive to shoot as well.

This is just a thought.

You might want to give that some thought.

Adam Helmer
04-07-2016, 09:50 AM
Bmi,

My carbines like the Lyman #311410, 130 grain RN cast boolit ahead of a dose of 2400. The 311410 is a plain base boolit that works well sized .309" in my carbines and sized .311 in the 7.62X39MM SKS round with IMR4198.

Adam

mozeppa
04-07-2016, 10:34 AM
Hodgdon's H-110, or WW-296. The round isn't a "pistol cartridge" (contrary to popular, and erroneous, assertions). These propellants are (in order), those that provide the highest velocities for the cartridge.

The .30 is loud, and generates lower velocities in handguns because said propellants are burning outside the arm's barrel. This results in the impressive "fireballs" at the muzzle of the handgun(s). It should be obvious to even the most causal observer that this is because the .30 Carbine (7.62 x 33) is a light rifle cartridge and is ill-suited for use in shorter handgun barrels.

iszzat a fact?

my ruger .30 must have magic in it then, as it is shooting the centers out at 20 yards off hand not supported.
just because it was made for a carbine doesn't mean you can't make it work.