PDA

View Full Version : Converting to .50 Alaskan

Naphtali
04-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Apparently the .50 Alaskan is the lever-action compatible .50-caliber cartridge for which Hodgdon's has available [pressure] reloading data, and for which factory brass is also available.

If I supply the rifle, what are the costs to convert the following rifles to .50 Alaskan. Please identify gunsmiths who are competent to do the job.
1. Marlin stainless steel Guide Gun now in .45-70?

2. Winchester (Miroku) M1886 now in 45-70?

3. Winchester M1886 now in 45-70?

Lloyd Smale
04-27-2008, 02:36 PM
im sure the minimum its going to run you from a GOOD gunsmith is about 1500 and running up to another grand depending on how fancy you want to be with oct barrels case hardening sight options ect. the 86s make a much better platform for them. I recently picked up one of the jap winchesters and plans are when i can afford it to send it to ben forkin for the job. Hes not the cheapest but when you get a gun back from him it works.

6pt-sika
04-27-2008, 10:06 PM
I've talked with Regan Nunneman about doing the 50AK conversion on a Marlin 1895G . If I provide the rifle hr will rebarrel and do all the work for $900 .

Talked with the guy at Wild West Guns and he said he could most likely get me done for about $600 ! But he rebores 45-70 barrels not rebarrel !

Also talked with Gary Reeder about doing a 475 GNR and his was a flat $1250 plus a gun to use !

Naphtali
04-28-2008, 01:42 PM
I understand that converting the Marlin M1895 is irreversible because the receiver is altered [substantially??]. Were I to have one of the M1886s converted, is this reversible -- that is, does receiver remain intact while parts are altered or swapped out?
Regarding Wild West Guns, I did a series of searches. What I found is not as reassuring as it might be. Generally, quality of work was evaluated as good-through-excellent. Customer service -- a transplanted East Coaster who apparently controls it was invariably called out -- is the south end of a horse headed north. I would be reluctant to send anything of value to a place where I could not chat about work done to it.
Has anyone experience with Grizzly Custom Guns, I believe in Columbia Falls, Montana (just up the road 150 miles or so), or Ben Forkin, or Brockman's Rifles?

6pt-sika
04-28-2008, 10:01 PM
I understand that converting the Marlin M1895 is irreversible because the receiver is altered [substantially??]. Were I to have one of the M1886s converted, is this reversible -- that is, does receiver remain intact while parts are altered or swapped out?
Regarding Wild West Guns, I did a series of searches. What I found is not as reassuring as it might be. Generally, quality of work was evaluated as good-through-excellent. Customer service -- a transplanted East Coaster who apparently controls it was invariably called out -- is the south end of a horse headed north. I would be reluctant to send anything of value to a place where I could not chat about work done to it.
Has anyone experience with Grizzly Custom Guns, I believe in Columbia Falls, Montana (just up the road 150 miles or so), or Ben Forkin, or Brockman's Rifles?

I've talked with the guys at WWG a munber of times . Talked with Gary Reeder quite a few times . Ben Forkin once or twice and Regan Nunneman about half a dozen times . There is also a guy in south western Virginia who is building a good reputation , but at the moment his name eludes me !

Any of these guys will speak over the phone with you ! Just call them and ask them whats on your mind [smilie=1:

bearcove
05-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Interesting, but what on earth needs more than a heavy 45-70.

T-rex is gone.

6pt-sika
05-02-2008, 10:18 PM

T-rex is gone.

You miss the point !

I don't need a 416 REM MAG as I will never venture to Africa , but I have one !

As well as a 375 H&H MAG !

Who "really" needs a 500 S&W MAG in a revolver , but I'd like to have one !

The 50 Alaskan and the 475 GNR intrest me for no other reason then just to play with and shoot paper !

But then if I have to explain this to you , you most likely will not understand !

And if you do understand my apologies !

EDK
05-03-2008, 03:57 AM
A 50 ALASKAN or 50/110 would be almost as much fun as my 50/90 SHILOH SHARPS...and will probably cost d--- near as much!

But wanting something that you may not really need isn't a bad thing. All my life when people talked about Sharps rifles, the first caliber that came to mind was "THE BIG FIFTY." I've had mine since February 05...and took it to the Quigley shoot every year since! A 45/70 is a more logical choce; BUT like I told a fellow customer in the SHILOH showroom when I ordered my 50. "I want one...I have a check in my pocket..and they just said they'd make what I wanted if they didn't have one in the rack. If that ain't three d--- good reasons, I don't know what is!"

The only negatives on the various 50s are brass availability and their tendrecy to knock the level of your lead pot down at an alarming rate.

I'd run past Ben Forkin's on my Quigley shoot trip and talk to him...he's got some good recommendations on his work. Nunneman is a short days drive away from me (IIRC) and I'd talk to him too. Alaska is a little too far for me to drive and Reeder would probably want to engrave it .

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

6pt-sika
05-03-2008, 05:19 AM
A 50 ALASKAN or 50/110 would be almost as much fun as my 50/90 SHILOH SHARPS...and will probably cost d--- near as much!

But wanting something that you may not really need isn't a bad thing. All my life when people talked about Sharps rifles, the first caliber that came to mind was "THE BIG FIFTY." I've had mine since February 05...and took it to the Quigley shoot every year since! A 45/70 is a more logical choce; BUT like I told a fellow customer in the SHILOH showroom when I ordered my 50. "I want one...I have a check in my pocket..and they just said they'd make what I wanted if they didn't have one in the rack. If that ain't three d--- good reasons, I don't know what is!"

The only negatives on the various 50s are brass availability and their tendrecy to knock the level of your lead pot down at an alarming rate.

I'd run past Ben Forkin's on my Quigley shoot trip and talk to him...he's got some good recommendations on his work. Nunneman is a short days drive away from me (IIRC) and I'd talk to him too. Alaska is a little too far for me to drive and Reeder would probably want to engrave it .

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

I have a 50-90 on order with Shiloh as we speak !

And a spare NIB Marlin 1895G ready for conversion to 50 Alaskan !

scb
05-03-2008, 10:51 AM
Another option that wouldn't require any bolt work would be the 71 Winchester. I believe these were the first rifles the 50 Alaskans were built on. For the most part the 71 is an improved 86.

Just Duke
05-03-2008, 08:31 PM
Apparently the .50 Alaskan is the lever-action compatible .50-caliber cartridge for which Hodgdon's has available [pressure] reloading data, and for which factory brass is also available.

If I supply the rifle, what are the costs to convert the following rifles to .50 Alaskan. Please identify gunsmiths who are competent to do the job.
1. Marlin stainless steel Guide Gun now in .45-70?

2. Winchester (Miroku) M1886 now in 45-70?

3. Winchester M1886 now in 45-70?

I have 3 of the Winchester/Miroku 1886 rifles myself and I am sending one off to Doug Turnbull. $1000.00 out the door for the 50-110 conversion using your barrel.
http://www.turnbullrestoration.com/store.asp?pid=20414

Lloyd Smale
05-03-2008, 09:32 PM
duke the only two other then forkin that would touch my 86 are mic Mcfearson and doug turnbull.

charger 1
05-04-2008, 05:01 AM
I've talked with Regan Nunneman about doing the 50AK conversion on a Marlin 1895G . If I provide the rifle hr will rebarrel and do all the work for $900 .

Talked with the guy at Wild West Guns and he said he could most likely get me done for about $600 ! But he rebores 45-70 barrels not rebarrel !

Also talked with Gary Reeder about doing a 475 GNR and his was a flat $1250 plus a gun to use !

The good folks at WWG confuse me somewhat. I asked via phone, email etc as too doing a marlin in either AK cal. I was told inside and out about how a different barrel and receiver mods were not a nicety but a necessity. Now I take 6pt-sika's word for what he's being told, yet I note an extreme difference

PS. The orig 1886 is a nice choice ,and what I personaly went with, but just make sure your into the post 40,000psi era. not back into the sub 28,000

Hears some read if you havent seen already
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/anderson/50_alaskan.htm

http://www.z-hat.com/The%20Fifty.htm

Lloyd Smale
05-04-2008, 07:29 AM
thats my best freind Al Anderson that wrote that article. We were just shooting together yesterday. He has a new 500 max linebaugh that makes me sweat just looking at it and i got my new dustin linebaugh built redhawk yesterday so we were out exercising them. Al knows the 50 alaskan better then about anyone and his is on a marlin. His is a beautiful little gun and if he dies before me he has willed it to me. He went through alot of teething problems with it though and is the one that convinced me to do mine on a 86 when i do it and to have ben forkin build it. One of the other gunsmiths mentioned originaly did his and it took ben to really get it right. HIs is a 18 inch oct barreled gun with AAA walnut and is pretty enough to make a grown man swear off women!!!!

charger 1
05-04-2008, 09:01 AM
thats my best freind Al Anderson that wrote that article. We were just shooting together yesterday. He has a new 500 max linebaugh that makes me sweat just looking at it and i got my new dustin linebaugh built redhawk yesterday so we were out exercising them. Al knows the 50 alaskan better then about anyone and his is on a marlin. His is a beautiful little gun and if he dies before me he has willed it to me. He went through alot of teething problems with it though and is the one that convinced me to do mine on a 86 when i do it and to have ben forkin build it. One of the other gunsmiths mentioned originaly did his and it took ben to really get it right. HIs is a 18 inch oct barreled gun with AAA walnut and is pretty enough to make a grown man swear off women!!!!

Lloyd, I'm not sure I get the big cartridge, short barrel.

But its ok ,I dont get the "swear off women"neither

When it comes to a barrel that short I wonder if all the AK fps is realized

Bullshop
05-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Look at expansion ratio and optimum burn rate. What you will find is that there is really no need for a long barrel. The Powley computer put the optimum burn rate for bullets from 400 to 600gn at 4198. Pretty fast powder, and it has to be. Look at how much gain in volume there is for every inch of barrel as the boolit moves. The powder has to be fast enough in burn rate to not only keep up with the rapid increase in volume but to produce gas at a fast enough rate to continue to build pressure at a smooth consistant rate to keep the push going. Simply put slow powder = long barrel and fast powder = short barrel.
Blessings
BIC/BS

Lloyd Smale
05-04-2008, 03:24 PM
when his gun was first built it was a 20 inch gun and when he had it refixed by ben he had it chopped to 18 and said some of his velocitys actually increased.

charger 1
05-04-2008, 03:41 PM
when his gun was first built it was a 20 inch gun and when he had it refixed by ben he had it chopped to 18 and said some of his velocitys actually increased.

Thats interesting. I'd like to run some identical loads out of an 18 or 20, and outta mine when its home and see the diff

6pt-sika
05-04-2008, 06:30 PM
The good folks at WWG confuse me somewhat. I asked via phone, email etc as too doing a marlin in either AK cal. I was told inside and out about how a different barrel and receiver mods were not a nicety but a necessity. Now I take 6pt-sika's word for what he's being told, yet I note an extreme difference

PS. The orig 1886 is a nice choice ,and what I personaly went with, but just make sure your into the post 40,000psi era. not back into the sub 28,000

Hears some read if you havent seen already
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/anderson/50_alaskan.htm

http://www.z-hat.com/The%20Fifty.htm

Charger , go to www.marlinowners.com

There is a section on the forum there just for Wild West Guns !
And it is answered by one of the guys up there !

Anyway I asked him there if his rifles were rebarreled or rebored and he point blank said REBORED ! He also said it kicks the price up to much to rebarrel !!!!

charger 1
05-04-2008, 06:40 PM
Charger , go to www.marlinowners.com

There is a section on the forum there just for Wild West Guns !
And it is answered by one of the guys up there !

Anyway I asked him there if his rifles were rebarreled or rebored and he point blank said REBORED ! He also said it kicks the price up to much to rebarrel !!!!

I dont doubt it. Just puts a fella to wonder why they told me up down and sideways that marlins MUST have the action sleeved and rebarreled to get more strngth between barrel and mag tube

Lloyd Smale
05-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Charger my wording might have been confusing. he didnt cut that same barrel Ben put a new barrrel on it and that alone could explain the differnce in velocity.
Thats interesting. I'd like to run some identical loads out of an 18 or 20, and outta mine when its home and see the diff

charger 1
05-05-2008, 05:46 AM
Charger my wording might have been confusing. he didnt cut that same barrel Ben put a new barrrel on it and that alone could explain the differnce in velocity.

Oh I see
It still would be intersting to do some fps tests with ident loads in diff length barrels. for years the rule of thumb has been 2% per inch, but Bullshop quotes good theory. I'm going to take 26" 86 45/70 out to chrony and give ident loads to buddy with guide gun to chrony, with a mix of powders and just see fer myself. I always like to do that,then I know

Getting back to the poster. I also went long pipe cause I was going peep on the ol 86, so long gave me better sight radius

Lloyd Smale
05-05-2008, 07:40 AM
charger like bullshop said i doubt if your going to get that much of a velocity increase per inch in a barrel that big. I know in my 44 mag lever guns my 18 inch gun shoots faster then my 20 but a better barrel could be the difference there too but it still shows that with a big bore barrel lenght doesnt really help that much. even in my sixguns ive got 4 inch guns that are faster then 5.5 inch guns.

charger 1
05-05-2008, 07:48 AM
charger like bullshop said i doubt if your going to get that much of a velocity increase per inch in a barrel that big. I know in my 44 mag lever guns my 18 inch gun shoots faster then my 20 but a better barrel could be the difference there too but it still shows that with a big bore barrel lenght doesnt really help that much. even in my sixguns ive got 4 inch guns that are faster then 5.5 inch guns.

Well if nothing else, a custom 1886 with a 28" pipe is goin to be the coolest lookin mother in the bush[smilie=w:

Bullshop
05-05-2008, 11:59 AM
There is a benifit to the long barrel and that is in balance and off hand holding. It sure takes out the wobbles in off hand shooting. My gun has the origonal long length rifle barrel and full length mag tube and I dont want it any other way.
Then there is also sight radious, and all with older eyes know what that does to improve shooting.
Sure nuf them carbines are handy, but there is a trade off. Velocity is not the only reason for longer barrel length.
Blessings
BIC/BS

Bullshop
05-05-2008, 12:30 PM
What I said about the 50 AK will apply to the 45/70 as well, but the expansion ratio is less in the 45 cal barrel. So it would stand to reason the the optimum burn rate powder for a straight wall case in 45 cal would be slightly slower than for the 50 cal.
So for that reason the comparison between calibers can not be indeticle.
If you can find the article by Wolf publishing in either the handloader or the rifle magazing on the 50 AK it is stated there that using the Powely computer they pegged the optimum burn rate for the 50 AK at IMR 4198. Now I have burned lots of powder in straight wall 50 cal cases of varying lengths and that burn rate works awfully good.
In my 86 Win with 2.2" chamber 53gn of Scott 4197 (very similar to 4198) and a 510gn WW boolit I get just under 1700 fps. Now if you try to equal that velocity but not increase the pressure you will have a tough time. Faster powders with give higher pressure at equal velocity and slower powder will not produce enough pressure to equal the velocity.
I had built a carbine version on a Browning 71 and found I could increase the load to 57gn and increase the velocity but at the cost of increased pressure.
I had also had one built on a siamese mauser but after all was said and done all the other guns were sold and I kept the long barrel 86. What I decided is I have no need for more power than what the 510gn boolit at 1700 fps offers.
Although when it comes to splitting those realy notty pieces of firewood the siamese with a 700gn boolit at 1850 fps did indeed work very well.
I recall a comparison I did for a visiter. A length of firewood about 16" diameter was put out about 30 yards and shot with a standard 30/06 load with 180gn at 2700 fps. The 06 lifted the block enough that you could see it wiggle. When hit with the 700gn boolit at 1850 fps the wood block went end over end. Ah the joys of the big bore!
Blessings
BIC/BS

Just Duke
09-05-2008, 11:57 AM
Regarding Wild West Guns, I did a series of searches. What I found is not as reassuring as it might be. Generally, quality of work was evaluated as good-through-excellent. Customer service -- a transplanted East Coaster who apparently controls it was invariably called out -- is the south end of a horse headed north.(just up the road 150 miles or so), or Ben Forkin, or Brockman's Rifles?

Naph that is a very accurate description. [smilie=1:

Just Duke
09-05-2008, 12:06 PM

T-rex is gone.

A guy standing by his trash can with a Grizzly bear eye oogling him.

rockrat
09-09-2008, 11:55 PM
Gunsmith near me (Jim Wells) used to do the covnersion, on the 1895 Marling. Think he charges around $300. He has the gun rebored and has a reamer. Think he opens up the ejection port a bit and maybe the loading gate. He's getting a bit older and not sure if he still does the work or not. Can check if you need me to. My rebore cost me $280 on my XLR and they had to shorten the barrel 2" as the bore intersected the screw holes. I need to put a shorter front sight on, as shoots way too low now. Need to play with it some more.!!

Naphtali
09-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Gunsmith near me (Jim Wells) used to do the covnersion, on the 1895 Marling. Think he charges around $300. He has the gun rebored and has a reamer. Think he opens up the ejection port a bit and maybe the loading gate. He's getting a bit older and not sure if he still does the work or not. Can check if you need me to. My rebore cost me $280 on my XLR and they had to shorten the barrel 2" as the bore intersected the screw holes. I need to put a shorter front sight on, as shoots way too low now. Need to play with it some more.!!Great Scott! Where are you located? Please check whether Mr. Wells still does the work. If he does, please furnish me (PM or E-mail) contact information -- business name, telephone, address, any E-mail, etc.

Oh, one last thing. How is the quality of his work?

rockrat
09-12-2008, 07:40 PM
Jim does really good work. He really likes single shots and has rebarreled many. He even had a Ruger 45-70 rebored and rechambered to 50AK. See if I can find his card this weekend and give him a call.
Oh yeah, Western Colorado, think Hoch moulds (he lived about 3 miles from me!)

Naphtali
09-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Jim does really good work. He really likes single shots and has rebarreled many. He even had a Ruger 45-70 rebored and rechambered to 50AK. See if I can find his card this weekend and give him a call.
Oh yeah, Western Colorado, think Hoch moulds (he lived about 3 miles from me!)Please.

So many guns to futz with; so little money to invest. You can make a little boy (in an old man's body) very happy.

Just Duke
04-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Just cuz I'm curious.
Bump

Four Fingers of Death
04-21-2009, 02:25 AM
A big bore hunting rifle in 50 cal would mostly be used in closeish cover I would imagine. I'm thinking 20-22" would be sufficient. 50-110 in a lever gun, that is a whole lotta gun Duke! I wouldn't mind one of those at all.

Four Fingers.

Just Duke
12-10-2009, 07:44 AM
Just cuz I'm curious.
Bump

charger 1
12-10-2009, 08:13 AM
Just cuz I'm curious.
Bump

You know I forgot all about this discussion. My chum comes by with his 50 AK a few weeks back. Well H&R handi in 500 SW,Thats his 50. Doesnt like recoil,effort or coin outlay but tells himself a 50 is a 50. We sat in my back yard with them and popped at poplar trees. I'd let him pop a few times at a tree before I'd hit an entirely different spot and knock it over.The extra 400+FPS with the same basic bullet is noticeable:takinWiz:

insanelupus
12-10-2009, 10:24 AM
Naphtali,

Have you checked out Dennis Olsen in Plains, MT? He may be closer to you. I know several folks who have had various rifle work done by him and he's always come highly recommended. Again, not cheap, but very good I've been told. I'm actually going to try and use him for my next rebarrel.

Lloyd Smale
12-11-2009, 08:47 AM
I talked to rob applegate a few years ago about that same thing. He told me hed never do one on a marlin because of it. He said the 86s are the way to go. Probably right in theroy but ive seen marlins with a bunch of rounds through them without trouble.
I dont doubt it. Just puts a fella to wonder why they told me up down and sideways that marlins MUST have the action sleeved and rebarreled to get more strngth between barrel and mag tube

bearcove
12-12-2009, 08:08 PM
Still interesting! But I have in my gun locker a Marlin 1895 w/Ballard rifling. It will do!

BUT, If I find a good deal on one w/ microgroove I would send it to to that gentleman in Oregon, Jesse Ocumpaugh (please pardon my spelling from another poster) He does rechambers/ rebores.

Lloyd Smale
12-13-2009, 06:51 AM
I like them short but my alaskan is a 24 inch gun. Reason is i got a good deal on it used. It handles well but i still wish it were about 20 inch.
A big bore hunting rifle in 50 cal would mostly be used in closeish cover I would imagine. I'm thinking 20-22" would be sufficient. 50-110 in a lever gun, that is a whole lotta gun Duke! I wouldn't mind one of those at all.

Four Fingers.

bearcove
12-14-2009, 09:37 PM
Got a hacksaw Lloyd?

451whitworth
12-15-2009, 11:27 AM
i've have two Browning 1886's converted to 50-110. the first one was a nightmare and has made me leery of all gunsmiths/ custom builders ever since. i would never use price as a guide in choosing who did my work. everyone has a budget but if one guy charges $300 and someone else charges $1000, that is too wide a gap to make me comfortable with the cheap price. my first 1886 made three (!) different trips back to the builder who was and still is a well know name in this racket. everytime it came back there were more dings in the wood and metal. it was horrible. the last time it was returned and didn't work i talked to the owner of the shop on the phone and told him "if i could send you another $1000 on top of what i already paid you and it would return functioning and looking like the brand new Browning 1886 i sent in i would". i think the Turnbull conversion is a bargain.

Just Duke
12-18-2009, 02:10 PM
I look at some reloading data on the 50 Alaskan and theirs no way I will shoot 500 or 600 grainers 1500 to 1700 fps. OUCH!
Jon K suggested a more moderate load could be made up with black powder.
I would like to keep mine around 1200 fps. This is primarily a 50 yard defensive gun right? Although hunting with it would be ok with reduced loads as said 1200 fps.

Bullshop
12-18-2009, 02:37 PM
"I would like to keep mine around 1200 fps. This is primarily a 50 yard defensive gun right? Although hunting with it would be ok with reduced loads as said 1200 fps. "

My 50 AK was also made for defensive purpose. It was made with one job in mind, going in after wounded bears. If you have ever done it I promise you also will desire the additional FPS. I will see your 1500 fps and raise you 200 fps.
When ever I have had to go into the alder brush or the thick permafrost stunted spruce after bear it always seemed whatever I had in hand at the time was a little light no matter what it was. Finally I decided on an 1886 action in 50 cal was worthy of the job.
For such it gets loaded with full power smashing, bone chrunching heavy WFN's.
Not for cowboy shooting nor to impress others but just for killing bears, DEAD RIGHT NOW! The other side of the coin.
BIC/BS

John Taylor
12-18-2009, 04:02 PM
I have done more than a few 86s to 50-110. The bolt face does not need to be altered. The feed rails need about .020" taken off. The lever needs the end ground back so the loading gate will open more. The carrier needs to be opened up for the rim. Sometimes the action needs to be opened up a little on the inside and sometimes the mag tube needs to be cut out on the end to allow the big fat cartridge to go through the loading gate and into the magazine. It is a must to polish the inside of the chamber and roll the bottom edge. The feed rails do not pick up the rim to raise the rear of the cartridge in front of the bolt face so the chamber has to do that job. This is were most of the feeding problem come from. There may be some other fine tuning to be done but that's the basics. My price to do one with a new barrel in the white, $650. If you want the barrel lettered and blue add about $175. I could try to rebore a 45 cal to 50 but most of the old barrels are rusted and pitted and don't clean up well.
The 50 AK is about 1/4" shorter on the brass which should make for easier loading. The 50-110, 50-100, and 50-90 use the same brass but have different bullet weights. The 50-110 was called an express rifle because it's 300 or 350 grain bullet was high velocity back in the Black powder days. The 50-100 used a 450 grain bullet.
I finally picked up a 71 that I plan on doing for myself. It will have a 30" barrel in 50-110.

Lloyd Smale
12-19-2009, 07:55 AM
I agree with bullshop most of my loads for the alaskan are stout. I have other guns if im wanting an enjoyable day of plinking. the alaskan is a serious buisness gun to me.

bearcove
12-24-2009, 12:08 AM
I agree with bullshop most of my loads for the alaskan are stout. I have other guns if im wanting an enjoyable day of plinking. the alaskan is a serious buisness gun to me.

+1 on this. I think a hot 45-70 with a 500 gr boolit is able to do the same work, but fill that case with powder. If I'm fishing on the coast of Ak with family or friends and I'm the one taking and keeping them safe (guide) I don't down load. Hell take a 35 Rem if that appeals to you. It will "probably" get the job done.

bearcove
12-24-2009, 12:30 AM
I think the main point of confusion is what the gun is used for. I live, hunt, fish Alaska as much as I can. With a family it takes away from that some. My wife is a veteran of 11 Ak winters and can't take the cold any more. But it is still a focal point of my life. If you have never seen a big pissed off bear then I can understand how you can study tables on how many foot-pounds are required.

IT DOESN"T MEAN ANYTHING when you been in a spot that makes you check your shorts to see if anything slipped through.

stubshaft
12-24-2009, 03:56 AM
I think the main point of confusion is what the gun is used for. I live, hunt, fish Alaska as much as I can. With a family it takes away from that some. My wife is a veteran of 11 Ak winters and can't take the cold any more. But it is still a focal point of my life. If you have never seen a big pissed off bear then I can understand how you can study tables on how many foot-pounds are required.

IT DOESN"T MEAN ANYTHING when you been in a spot that makes you check your shorts to see if anything slipped through.

Besides...Bears can't read!

I love my 45/70's and .458's but would never feel undergunned when carrying my 50AK.

Just Duke
12-24-2009, 05:54 AM
"
Not for cowboy shooting nor to impress others but just for killing bears, DEAD RIGHT NOW! The other side of the coin.
BIC/BS

I don't think anyone mention cowboy shooting or impressing others here.
I myself have never done any cowboy action shooting to this date.

Just Duke
12-24-2009, 06:01 AM
Yep I just checked. No one around to impress. Hard to find anyone to impress when I chose to be a hermit. lol

rockrat
12-29-2009, 12:31 AM
Check out JES reboring. $225 and 50 AK is one of the calibers

Just Duke
01-10-2010, 08:34 AM
I'm sending mine of for rebarreling Monday. If this works out I'm send an 1895 Cowboy also.

Just Duke
01-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Change of plans. Just got off the phone with the Yack asrsh from Wild West guns. I will not do business with anyone that says "Look buddy I'm the manager" in a "SU pranos dialect". and rudely. I got a different price from their gunsmith than this guy told me. He must be tacking on his sales commission or something.
JFYI the fella is not the manager but the salesmen. :roll
I will shoot beans through a plastic straw before I will send ANYTHING to them.
45-70 it is then.