PDA

View Full Version : Acme industries shot shell press

salpal48
02-08-2016, 11:18 AM
i have several Acme presses. i need Info on there fixed Charge Bars. The machine take a fixed round charge bar. does anyone have info Or a Chart showing Powder and shot These presses were in The 1950- 60/

gnoahhh
02-08-2016, 11:44 AM
I have a small hand full of these charge bars, new in their tubes. PM me if interested.

LUBEDUDE
02-08-2016, 02:24 PM
Those are fine examples you have there Sal.

gnoahhh
02-08-2016, 05:30 PM
PM sent with descriptions. Note: I forgot to mention that their tubes have charts printed on them giving load info for each numbered bar.

Walter Laich
02-08-2016, 05:46 PM
from the title I was thinking the Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote.

learned something new again

.50bmg
02-09-2016, 01:19 AM
Sal, nice examples of Acme presses.

How about some pics of those Easton's in the background?

salpal48
02-09-2016, 12:30 PM
I have Put together something On My Easton Collection .

salpal48
02-09-2016, 12:46 PM
At this time I would like to share some equipment from my easton equipment Of salt Lake city. This equipment Range from mid 1930's to 1950's.
from left to right
little Giant
Big giant
bid giant Un marked
easton super
all have unique shell holder and Only big giants are the same
Little Giant Dies are not Interchangeable with The other.
Seating dies Insert are Interchangable as caliber specific
All work in The up stroke. his H designs was and is used Today. Easton was One of the major Contributor to the standard 7/8x14 die design
I have enclosed a Few Photo's

seagiant
02-09-2016, 01:08 PM
Hi,
You should do a seperate thread on the Easton's!

I thought about reverse engineering those when I retire.

They look like they would be fairly easy to make, in a home shop and would probably sale to people that like STOUT presses!

HGS
02-09-2016, 01:11 PM
Sal

Very nice collection of Easton loading presses and tooling, thanks for sharing the pictures and info you have. New pictures of old iron is always appreciated.

HGS

salpal48
02-09-2016, 02:58 PM
I will see If I can repost this into a New Thread
Sal
Hi,
You should do a seperate thread on the Easton's!

I thought about reverse engineering those when I retire.

They look like they would be fairly easy to make, in a home shop and would probably sale to people that like STOUT presses!

.50bmg
02-10-2016, 01:38 AM
Nice collection of Easton's Sal!

Here's a few pics of mine..........

I need the little giant version if anyone out there wants to sell one......;-)

Pressman
02-10-2016, 07:04 AM
Easton's are interesting. Big Giant is really not all that big. Their physical size is small with the laid back angle rather sharp, especially so with the Super. Then there is the upstroke only operation. I never tried loading on one but just working the press it seems that it could be sort of clumsy to use.

That all said they are neat to look at, well machined and finished. The Super is a different beast and seems to have come along towards the end of Easton's life as determined by the number of address's for the company at the end. Super frames are cast and somewhat crudely at that. They are painted black while the Big Giant has a very professional appearing green wrinkle finish. The three models seem to take a different shellholder, no commonality between models. And Supers may have variations to that. More study of the Super is needed to resolve what shellholder (s) were used.
The Little Giant is scarce. Mostly made prior to WWII few seem to have been made and even fewer survived. I know of two confirmed and a possible third. Of the three models the Little Giant is my favorite, thought the shellholder is a pain in the petunias to change if the press is bolted to a bench. Curiously it uses a shellholder that is nearly identical to the one that Fred Huntington introduced in 1955.

One of my someday goals is to get together with Sal and put together a good study of the Easton line. He has a great start with his collection.

Ken

salpal48
02-10-2016, 10:10 AM
I noticed Your Super has 2 screw Holes @ the top in the Front . One of mine That is not show has them. Do you know what they are for. . the one pictured does not
Sal
Nice collection of Easton's Sal!

Here's a few pics of mine..........

I need the little giant version if anyone out there wants to sell one......;-)

Green Frog
02-10-2016, 11:30 AM
I really regret that this thread drifted so quickly away from Acme and into Easton... I was looking forward to seeing more repartee involving Wile E. Coyote. It just wouldn't have had the same comedic punch to see him open boxes from Easton, Inc!

Froggie

salpal48
02-10-2016, 02:01 PM
I would Like to Thanks all who answered The Acme Industries.. and sorry it drifted Into The A.A .Easton. I will now close This and reopen @ Later date . Open an A.A. Easton

.50bmg
02-11-2016, 01:56 AM
I noticed Your Super has 2 screw Holes @ the top in the Front . One of mine That is not show has them. Do you know what they are for. . the one pictured does not
Sal

Sal, here's a close up of the two threaded holes at the top of the press. I don't know what they were for. I could assume its for some type of priming set up? The threaded holes do look to be factory and do not go thru to the die opening.

Green Frog
02-11-2016, 04:41 PM
I would Like to Thanks all who answered The Acme Industries.. and sorry it drifted Into The A.A .Easton. I will now close This and reopen @ Later date . Open an A.A. Easton

Aw c'mon now salpal48... couldn't you see how deeply my tongue was in my cheek?

This is an excellent thread and since you started it, you can "steer" it anyway you like. The Eastons are definitely interesting presses and deserve the exposure. I just can't see one in a Roadrunner cartoon. ;)

Froggie