PDA

View Full Version : Safety first, be careful!

No_1
04-27-2008, 08:08 AM
Just got this one in my e-mail. Worth a look by all. Be careful!

http://heavyreckoning.com/revosafety.html

R.

dragonrider
04-27-2008, 08:43 AM
Wow that's ugly,

Bret4207
04-27-2008, 08:54 AM
Well, I knew I didn't have any desire for one of those in the first place, now I'm sure! That thing is just too big. Thats the funkyest way of gripping a gun I've ever seen. I've seen pics of similar injury from high pressure air.

No_1
04-27-2008, 09:09 AM
I do not think that type of accident is limited to that revolver / cartridge as I am sure it can happen to some degree with any revolver.

R.

Whitworth
04-27-2008, 10:04 AM
This story has made the rounds on the internet for awhile. Boy, those X-frame Smiths are unwieldy, but this person is using a VERY strange grip to say the very least! Yikes!

NSP64
04-27-2008, 10:55 AM
Looks like the demo model is a woman, not sure if the victim is. The first thing I do when teaching a new shooter(male or female) is to take a revolver and place it along side of a piece of cardboard. Then I fire it to demonstrate the effects of the high pressure gas jetting from the cylinder gap, then tell them to always be aware of hand placement when handling any weapon.

James C. Snodgrass
04-27-2008, 11:16 AM
When I started shooting IHMSA with revolver I was told you had to have a blast shield, I was kind of doubtful it was needed but was shown several of the competitors shields and saw why they insisted. A lot of them had small shards of jacket material embedded in them and you could see the erosion of the gas on them. And most of these were Freedom Arms revolvers which have a tight gap on them. Hopefully we can all learn from this fellows mistake. James

rugerdude
04-27-2008, 09:40 PM
That hurts to look at! I learned years ago that anything near the barrel/cylinder gap on a revolver-especially one with horsepower-is toast. In my case it was a .44 Mag. SBH. I was resting it on some sandbags made from old jeans legs with the front of the frame touching the bags. At the first shot I got a face full of dust! The gas had split the bag on either side of the gun. Decided right then to always make sure fingers were well back from the gap!

454PB
04-28-2008, 12:45 AM
Somewhere on Youtube there is a video a guy did holding a hot dog in a similar position next to a S&W 29.

No wonder top straps get cut after a few thousand rounds!

Nash
04-28-2008, 12:52 AM
I cupped the cylinder gap with my left hand on an old high standard double-9 .22 revolver when I was about 8 years old. Only did that once........

10-x
04-28-2008, 08:27 AM
Ouch, I feel for that guy!
Looks like a simple case of "forgots" or just lack of paying attention.
Hope it was not a case of proper training.
When the S&W .500 first came out a buddy of mine had to have one, well after a few shots that was enough. I shot 5 rds through it with a glove at about 100yds off a tree limb. Took the bark off the limb! The "Beast" was accurate but felt like my hand had been run over by a M113!
I'll stick to .45's, .44's, 357's:Fire:

AZ-Stew
04-28-2008, 10:49 PM
I got my hand too close to the gap of a M-28 S&W once. My thumb, web of my hand and the thumb-side of my index finger were peppered with particles of 2400 powder. Some went deep enough to draw blood.

Another time I was shooting beside a revolver shooter while I was wearing some nifty Bausch & Lomb aviator-style, yellow tinted, tempered glass lens shooting glasses. One of my neighbor's shots sent a powder particle in from the side of the glasses and embedded it in the skin below my left eye. I'm very adamant now about teaching new shooters to buy shooting glasses with side shields. A half inch higher and that powder particle would have been embedded in my cornea.

Regards,

Stew

lathesmith
04-28-2008, 11:32 PM
This injury, and the potential, is a matter of degrees. Consider, the 45 Colt, or 38 special, are 10-15k pressure loads. The 357 and 44 mag are in the 35-40k range. That 460 is in the 60k + range. So, as some here have testified to, the lower powered rounds can cause a nasty injury to flesh near the B/C gap. The 357 and 44 have more serious injury potential, and as demonstrated the ultra-high pressure rounds can sever limbs. Definitely something to be mindful of!
lathesmith

Bob in Revelstoke
04-29-2008, 01:12 AM
Some years ago I was shooting at the range when a man I had never seen before came to the line. He had a .357 and proceeded to lay in what he called the "semi-Creedmoor" position i.e on his back supporting his head with his left hand and the revolver against the calf of his right leg which was bent at the knee. As he was just wearing blue jeans I politely suggested he not do this. He replied that he knew what he was doing and I should butt out. I'm easy to get along with so I didn't say anything more. He let off one shot, rose about 3 feet straight up and began the best Irish jig I had ever seen. He then began cursing and slapping at the smoke coming from his pants leg, put his gun away and left. I never saw him again.

Whitworth
04-29-2008, 08:10 AM
Some years ago I was shooting at the range when a man I had never seen before came to the line. He had a .357 and proceeded to lay in what he called the "semi-Creedmoor" position i.e on his back supporting his head with his left hand and the revolver against the calf of his right leg which was bent at the knee. As he was just wearing blue jeans I politely suggested he not do this. He replied that he knew what he was doing and I should butt out. I'm easy to get along with so I didn't say anything more. He let off one shot, rose about 3 feet straight up and began the best Irish jig I had ever seen. He then began cursing and slapping at the smoke coming from his pants leg, put his gun away and left. I never saw him again.

Haha!! That's funny!! A deep case of embarassment!! :-D:-D