PDA

View Full Version : Lyman pistol powder measure.

Don Fischer
02-07-2016, 12:28 PM
Somewhere around here I have a very old Lyman Pistol powder measure. It's a little thing and something about it I never brought up before, it has a knocker built in to settle the powder. Had lot of people ask about tube powder in a powder measure. Unless you tap the handle against the top several time's, they never throw near the same weight chg. In my handguns I use flake and some ball powder, bumping isn't necessary but the only knocker built into a measure I ever saw was on that little Lyman. Found out I could load really small amount's of flake and ball powder wing my bigger RCBS measure and put the little Lyman away. Wish I could remember where I put it!

richhodg66
02-07-2016, 01:21 PM
Is this a 55? I think there was a similar predecessor to the 55 that was very simlar.

Anyway, the 55 is probably the most versatile measure there is. I got a little .32 top break revolver and the starting loads in the Lyman manual was 1.1 grain of Bullseye. I wondered how in the world I was gonna accurately measure a charge that small, but my old 55 and some time to get it set, measured 1.1 grain of bullseye with boring regularity.

I've been told, but never used it for that, the Lyman 55 is a good black powder measure as well.