PDA

View Full Version : LEE Pro 1000 and Load Master Question

Lefty Red
02-07-2016, 11:35 AM
During the powder charging/dump, these presses use a chain to help activate the Auto Disc Pro Measurer. Is there anyway to adapt the system to activate a powder charge like the way the Lee Classic Turret Press does, with the case?

Lefty

Gillie Dog
02-07-2016, 11:56 AM
They activate with the case, the same die/system. The chain is a return method which prevents double charging in the event the operator does not completely move the ram down and index to next case. "Short or half" stroke which with a spring return could double charge the case because it returns the measure as soon as the case clears the die and the second up movement would drop another charge in a already charged case.

GD

jmorris
02-07-2016, 11:57 AM
Yep, the chain is an "unactivator" and is only under tension to reset the measure when the ram is all the way at the bottom and if everything is adjusted properly after the shell plate has indexed. Preventing a double charge by a less than perfect operator.

http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/LM/IMG_20151218_164733_466_zps4huhj5rb.jpg

Lefty Red
02-07-2016, 12:24 PM
Ok, then way doesn't the turret system use the chain "unactivator"?
Can the press run without it?
Can either press be ran manually indexing instead of auto indexing?

44Vaquero
02-07-2016, 01:00 PM
Lefty Red

Think about it? The turret rotates, the chain set-up requires a fixed station hence it's used on the Pro-1000 and Load Master and now some Lee Automators.

Lefty Red
02-07-2016, 02:22 PM
I understand now. I didn't know what the real purpose was. I assumed it was to activate the powder measure. Now I know better. Thanks all.

But I was also wanting to know if the Pro 1000 or Load Master can be made to manually index instead of auto indexing!

And, if the chain has to be used? I would rather just use a powder cop die or not.
I like to use the Auto Disc Pro the way on the turret presses.

Lefty

jmorris
02-07-2016, 02:58 PM
Pretty easy to make a Loadmaster not index, just pull out the index rod and flipper.

You can see it in this video.
http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/LM/th_VID_20151211_184517_873_zpsj6se0rnt.mp4 (http://i664.photobucket.com/albums/vv5/qvideo/LM/VID_20151211_184517_873_zpsj6se0rnt.mp4)

And no you done have to use the chain and the press will still work, I used a spring to return the measure, you can see it in the background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9pjmuHAkBU

As GD pointed out, when you use a spring you make it possible to throw double charges if you don't operate the press correctly.

Gillie Dog
02-07-2016, 03:30 PM
With the indexer removed you have no "positive" lock to place the case under the die at each station so you would be guessing to get it aligned after each manual move of the shell plate even though the case ejector plate will get you very darn close.

If you want these progressives to be "manual", just put one case at a time in either of these and crank it around till finished and ejected.

GD

Lefty Red
02-07-2016, 07:01 PM
Ok, thanks gentlemen.

Lefty

finattic
02-07-2016, 07:26 PM
Lefty,
you can switch the parts on the powder measure to the old style that uses a different lever and a spring, I call it a mouse trap. look at the lees web site and you will see. I use this set up with a lee die and powder measure on my Dillon 550 just to load 380's since I don't have another Dillon powder system.

This was the first design lee come out with long ago and it works just watch your fingers when you put the spring in place

finattic
02-07-2016, 07:29 PM
http://leeprecision.com/powder-handling/automatic-powder-measures/

look at this the one with the clear holder is what I am talking about See the spring??

guessing you probably have the one beside it

rtracy2001
02-08-2016, 08:09 PM
FWIW, I don't use the bead chain return on my LM. The "F" shaped lever and return spring work fine. I normally load .223 and a double charge will overflow the case, so I don't worry about the spring return being unsafe for my application. A pistol charge of unique or bullseye would be cause for extra care.

When my index flipper wore out, I manually indexed the last 30 rounds of my batch without incident. Just grab the case and rotate to the click (as mentioned there is no stop). For the last couple of cases, rotate the shell plate like an old rotary phone. Watch your alignment carefully or you will ruin cases.

will52100
02-09-2016, 02:25 AM
I used the spring return for a little while till I noticed the arm was digging into the LED flashlight I've got in the top of LM. It's just a 1" hole drilled most of the way through and flashlight sitting in it to shed some light on the shell plate and cases. After that I went back to the bead chain. I've only broken a couple over the last few years, all were my fault, so far they work well for me.

Johnny_Cyclone
02-10-2016, 11:58 PM
Chain Free in '16

Get these parts:

160525 LEE P/N: AD2309 $2.00

160526LEE P/N: AD2296 $0.50

See site sponsor Titan Reloading at top of page. Enter numbers in Titans search box. Add to cart. Be done with it.

Note: The last Pro Auto Disk I received was set up to use chain, but had these parts in the box. For use on LEE Turret Presses, Single Stations, and on non LEE presses as option

jimkim
02-11-2016, 12:09 AM
I agree. If you don't like the chain(I don't) just use the spring that comes with the standard autodisk. Just make sure you use a charge that fills the case more than halfway. That way, a doublecharge will overflow.

Johnny_Cyclone
02-11-2016, 12:18 AM
If you don't like the chain(I don't) just use the spring that comes with the standard autodisk

Parts listed in post #14 are the standard autodisk parts so it's easy peasy to change.

160527 LEE Chain type lever ("T" lever)

vs
160528LEE Spring type lever ("F" Lever)

Johnny_Cyclone
02-11-2016, 12:28 AM
Picture worth a Thousand words

Lefty Red
02-11-2016, 04:34 AM
Yes, I have use the Auto Disc Pro on the CTP and like its performance and the lack of chain. I as just wondering why it was on use in the progressives.

Jerry

Johnny_Cyclone
02-11-2016, 09:07 AM
..I as just wondering why it was on use in the progressives.

Ahhhhh.. ok. My bad.

Because a progressive is something I have, but don't feel the need to use a big Dillion measure for lesser volume loading of some calibers.

Have Lee dies and lets say for .. 41 mag. I use the Lee powder thru die in that set with the Auto disk for a simple standard load. Rather than the adjustable Dillon with its required powder die and insert. Probably saves about 60 bucks.

Set one Lee equipped tool head up for my Daughters .223 Plinker loads (different bullet/different powder. post#17). So I wouldn't have to readjust MY tool head set up back and forth..lol

Its quick, simple, and cost effective for the task required.

Lefty Red
02-11-2016, 05:47 PM
Ahhhhh.. ok. My bad.

Because a progressive is something I have, but don't feel the need to use a big Dillion measure for lesser volume loading of some calibers.

Have Lee dies and lets say for .. 41 mag. I use the Lee powder thru die in that set with the Auto disk for a simple standard load. Rather than the adjustable Dillon with its required powder die and insert. Probably saves about 60 bucks.

Set one Lee equipped tool head up for my Daughters .223 Plinker loads (different bullet/different powder. post#17). So I wouldn't have to readjust MY tool head set up back and forth..lol

Its quick, simple, and cost effective for the task required.

They are good and cheap, compared to the others. And I always found the Lee to be right on as any others.