PDA

View Full Version : Nose sizing (NOE Kit)

dilly
02-07-2016, 01:11 AM
I got the push through sizing kit from NOE for a couple of reasons. One of them was to try nose only sizing. I powder coat most of my bullets, and sometimes that makes the nose too large for reliable feeding. While using it, I made some observations. I'm not sure if I'm doing everything right, so if anyone has any suggestions to improve the process let me know.

When you push the nose of the bullet into the die, it leaves kind of a flange after you push it back out. I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen or not. Am I just supposed to scrape it off with my fingernail each time?
The other problem/question I had is making the nose sizing repeatable. I guess you're just supposed to push until a certain resistance is felt. I uploaded the picture below to show how highly variable it can be. Note the difference in the sized portion between bullet 3 and bullet 4 for contrast.

So I just thought I'd open this method up for discussion. There seems to be a lot of curiosity on NOE's kit from those that don't have them, and maybe some other people have ideas or questions.

Jupiter7
02-07-2016, 08:18 AM
I have one too. The problem with nose sizing being repeatable/consistent is the method of applying the coating isn't consistent in its thickness. Nose sizing may better be done in steps to ease the amount of effort involved. It's on my back burner for now. But the body sizer with .310 bushing is my current favorite method.

Yodogsandman
02-07-2016, 09:58 AM
It looks like you're trying to nose size a style of boolit that has a radius from the body to the tip. It's not a bore rider type of nose. You would need some sort of swaging die for your nose.

You could cover the nose while PC'ing with old pistol cases that fit over the nose. That would prevent the PC from coating the nose and be more consistent.

dilly
02-08-2016, 02:22 PM
Maybe I'll try it on my Saeco 315 design; that's bore rider.

Your method wouldn't quite work for me as I don't have the ESPC gun or an air compressor.

GWM
02-11-2016, 01:51 PM
The other problem/question I had is making the nose sizing repeatable. I guess you're just supposed to push until a certain resistance is felt.

I think this is in part because the die body is mounted from below in the press. If it was mounted from above it could have been adjusted like regular reloading dies, for the lenght of stroke.