PDA

View Full Version : No! Please! Not another LNl vs Dillon thread

castalott
02-06-2016, 11:31 PM
I started progressive reloading with 2 Dillon 450s...one for 38 Spec. and one for 45acp. Fast forward 30 years. I HAD to have a LNL so I bought one. I didn't have any problems with it. It feed primers almost perfectly, I never broke an awl to rotate the plate. I didn't have any major problems with it at all except the nubbin that ejects the loaded cartridge wore and sometimes locked the press up instead of ejecting the round. ( I am sure Hornady would have fixed it in a heartbeat.)

But I gave it away a few months back. After all those years of using the 450s, I didn't want to let one hand slack off on the handle and work the other at light speed to load case and boolet. I didn't like the Hornady case feeder but found I couldn't make a better one. So I done without.

While I loved the room that big shell holder gave my huge mitts, it was a big press and took a lot of room on my temporary bench.

While the LNL powder measure was wonderful, it was not more wonderful than a Lee auto disk or Dillon standard powder thrower for the size of it.

I never did find a mounting height that was comfortable- sitting or standing.

Some like the bushing system very much. It's just 'ok' with me. I like the Forster system much better.

So you've read the post by the grouchy old man and think " This grouchy old man will never be happy!" But you're wrong. Both the 450s worked perfectly to load almost 600 rounds in about 2 hours. I go slow enough to watch the primer slide to see if the primers are right. Can't see them on a LNL. ( Or probably a 650 either).

I would never detract from a Hornady LNL. Mine was a very good press. It just didn't fit me right.

Maybe I'm old and cranky..Hmmmm....definitely old and cranky. But I appreciate the 'old school' 450s more than ever. They are jewels and a pleasure to load on....

Dale

Artful
02-07-2016, 01:00 AM
Yep, I like both my 300 and 450 dillion

- doubt I'd even take a free 650
(well maybe just to see if I like it);-)

Lefty Red
02-07-2016, 10:19 AM
I used a friends LNL for some 45ACP I wanted loaded up for the year and hadn't gotten my presses unloaded from the move yet. I really liked it. But he didn't have a case feeder or bullet feeder on his for the 45s. But I was use to a 550 and SDP so it didn't bother me.
I did like the way it half indexed on the way up and down. Seems really smooth.

It might be me, but every progressive press review or thread has to do with the bullet feeder or case feeder more than the press itself. I know it's more work for the operator, but I like to be able to handle the brass and bullets and make sure they are going in right. I might suffer from a 100-150 rounds per hours rate lost, but I like my safety over production numbers. My next progressive will be bare bones and manual indexing.

Ok, is it me or does anyone else feel like they done reload enough of one caliber to have a progressive? I normally use a friend's press for a large batch of 45s or 9s. But since I'm in my own house now, I'm going to build a very sturdy bench to have a SDP in 380 and one in 45. Figure I can take a weekend in the winter and load up the years supply and then be done with it. Especially since I just shot one load in each. Just seems loading on a progressive isn't as "fun" as a turret or single stage. It's work! With my single stage Lee Classic (with LNL quick change brushing in) I feel like I create something. While the progressive is just about production numbers. But damn if I don't want two of each in every caliber and color! LOL

OS OK
02-07-2016, 11:51 AM
Excellent points Lefty Red
…I bought the LNL also…I like it but it's a different animal to wrestle with. More precautions to deal with and I feel distracted from enjoyment of the loading process and satisfaction of production. Now it does only production of 9MM and .45ACP. I wouldn't use it without the RCBS Powder Lockout die…the 'butt saver'!
I did convert my Rock Chucker to a LNL insert and it's convenient but most of the real satisfaction comes from my old Lyman II Turret, I slide an old 50-60's CD into the stereo, crank it up and I'm in hog heaven for hours after that. I always have a pile of ammo at the end of the day when the wife hollers down stairs…'Want some dinner'?

Lefty Red
02-07-2016, 12:33 PM
OS OK, I know what you mean! Except my ex could never cook and she just hollered at me for no reason. ;)

I felt the LNL Progressive was "busy", even without the feeders. But it did seem smooth running. I would have to set my progressive up without any feeders or my ADD would make me go crazy!

I'm setting the coffee can finds aside for a Redding T-7 this year!
Although would settle on a good older Lyman. They didn't seem to have the amount of play or flex the RCBS turret did.

r1kk1
02-07-2016, 01:39 PM
I probably have every shellplate made for the 550. I prefer to do any loading on it compared to a single stage whether it's the Ultramag or Summit with the LNL bushing system, or the COAX with the original quick change dies or just screw them in and out on the Champion. I finally bought a turret press so I can use whatever diameter die I have. This turret will handle LNL bushings as well. But, I would rather pull the handle one time for each loaded cartridge. I wish Dillon would offer an adapter for the BFR that would accept 550 shellplates. That would be great for me! I could use ANY locking ring I wanted! That BFR is one hellava press. My wife and I go home once a month to catch up any loading we need to do on the 550. In the RV, I just acquired a Hollywood Senior Turret to take care of anything including BMG. 8 stations allow me to do what I want. One hellava press! Too bad there probably be nothing like it made now or into the future.

Take care

r1kk1

OS OK
02-08-2016, 05:54 AM
OS OK, I know what you mean! Except my ex could never cook and she just hollered at me for no reason. ;)

I felt the LNL Progressive was "busy", even without the feeders. But it did seem smooth running. I would have to set my progressive up without any feeders or my ADD would make me go crazy!

I'm setting the coffee can finds aside for a Redding T-7 this year!
Although would settle on a good older Lyman. They didn't seem to have the amount of play or flex the RCBS turret did.

My latest two student loaders each chose the turret, one an RCBS the other the T-7. The RCBS drives Sam Nuts with that small amount of play that it has and Allen hasn't complained about the T-7 at all. I'm nutz over the T-7 myself…it just looks like a magnum business machine to begin with.

r1kk1…Would you post a picture of that Hollywood Sr. Press here? Is it the one you mentioned that accepts the LNL bushing?

Lefty Red
02-08-2016, 08:16 AM
OS

I too have found the RCBS very flexible even with loading 38s or 9mm. I really like the Lyman T Mag 2. It seems to be pretty sturdy and little flex. Moves from station to station very easy. So easy you can use your hand without the handle. I like it better than the Lee CTP, but the CTP is still a good press. I just have problems getting better quality ammo and consistent COL due to vertical movement of its turret head.

That damn T7 is huge! But it's the best turret out there.

But what are your thoughts on the T Mag 2 by Lyman? It's on sale for $160 shipped and I really thinking hard about it.

Lefty

Lefty Red
02-08-2016, 08:24 AM
Dale

I really think you are right. I really like the RCBS Pro 2000. It's a counter clockwise rotation and in manual too. I run the handle with my right hand and feed cases and bullets with my left. And I can move the powder measure to the third or fourth (5 stations) station and still able to visually check the charge before seating. I think the primer system is the best. I can get use to the strips.

Jerry

castalott
02-08-2016, 09:10 AM
Hi Jerry
Somehow we got to measuring presses by the round count and not the shear pleasure of using it. I looked really hard at the pro 2000 because I've always liked RCBS stuff. Owning the LNL started as an act of love but became an article of indifference.

I'm glad I owned the LNL and may try the 650 sometime just to compare them. Reloading is fun to me but only if using quality tools. I have all the frustration I need at work....lol

Dale

OS OK
02-08-2016, 10:28 AM
160293160294I have an old friend up country that uses the Dillon…sweet things they are…but…I have rather large paws and have to have the room to work on the press dies/top mtd. gear, under and around. Too frustrating, things so close together to each other. So, that's one of the main reasons I went for the LNL, it's wide open up there.

LEFTY…You know the Tmag has the adjustment post in the rear of the turret that will adjust it to dang near 0 clearance and reduce the flex to the same, just about. My two learner loaders like that aspect of it but you couldn't pry that T-7 off Allen with a crowbar!
I especially like the Lyman 55 dispenser mounted above the Lee powder through expander die. You can see my rig in this video if you can put up with all the 'gab'.
TURRET PRESS…EFFICIENT OPERATION…LEE POWDER DIE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-5b2uZ3Uz8)
I used to have all my presses mounted on that bench behind the round bench I built later and they took up too much space back there, especially when I had to get an oven to start powder coating also the back area towards the wall fills up with unnecessary items and before long I get all cluttered up. In the center of this new bench I drilled a 3 inch hole to have that auto dispenser stand come up through from a separate floor stand so that no vibrations from the bench would disturb that finicky outfit while I'm working the press. The shelf loosens with a large thumb-screw and will rotate around and face the Rock Chucker in the rear or to my right and face the LNL. It also adjust to any height above the bench I need so that I can utilize the area underneath for whatever I'm doing. Most of the time I find myself sitting in front of that old Lyman Turret though.
Here you can see the entire round loading bench from another angle. Oh yeah…those red steel plates I bolted the presses to distribute the torque on the presses to the table top and I don't have even the slightest wiggle from their small footprint like I had before on the other bench.

castalott
02-08-2016, 06:29 PM
Cool videos! That is a good system.. I'll probably set up hot 357 loading something like that where I can watch one cartridge start to finish.

EddieNFL
02-08-2016, 10:37 PM
Reloading is fun to me but only if using quality tools. I have all the frustration I need at work....lol

Dale

Ditto. I threw a certain press in a swamp, moved to blue and never looked back.

dannyd
02-08-2016, 11:38 PM
loaded 39,676 on LNL, over 70,000 on Sdb and 550 and about 20,000 on single stage rcbs a-3. Sold my 550, sdb and A-3. Have two LNL now they both work great.

GhostHawk
02-09-2016, 09:51 AM
I don't shoot enough in any one caliber to want or need a progressive press.

I enjoy the simple process of depriming brass, citric acid wash, use a small brush on primer pockets while I give each piece of brass a rub along my leg on a towel to finish clean and dry it.

Then later it is get them in loading blocks, size, flare, I use a RCBS Universal hand primer which I love.

Then it is set the powder charge, charge and load. Each booolit picked up by my fingers, examined with a critical eye. Each piece of brass gets handled several times by me in the process.

I guess it is the difference between coffee from a big machine, and a single cup of coffee brewed by hand, freshly roasted beans, water at the perfect temp, lovingly combined.

They are both coffee, but one is essentially machine made, the other is hand made. The difference is in flavor. I OWN those rounds. I cast the boolits, cleaned and processed the brass, charged each piece, and seated the boolit.

They may be the same as any other round, but to me the flavor is different.

But, if you need to make a LOT of rounds, the machine is the way to go.

OS OK
02-09-2016, 11:39 AM
Those automatic loaders are a 'blessing' and a 'pain in the butt' at the same time.
You have to change your approach to this hobby drastically or you will make a 'fistfull' of bad rounds…real fast. Where is the advantage in that?

dannyd
02-09-2016, 01:27 PM
shoot 200 to 500 rounds a week could not make it with the auto press.

Lefty Red
02-10-2016, 07:35 PM
Awesome post and videos OS OK!

Hardcast416taylor
02-10-2016, 09:37 PM
Away back then when I bought a Hornady Pro-7 press the second year they made it I had to learn how to use a progressive press. Later I sent it back to be upgraded to the Pro-Jector series press. Fast forward to about 6 years back when I removed the ejector (never did work right) and the priming system (got a little tired with the occasional upside down seated primers) and the auto powder drop (just plain wore it out). What I have now is strictly a press without all those `bells & whistles. This press has never broken down on me through out all the many thousands of rounds loaded, I have all the shell plates made for it and use them all though some more than others, I load ammo from .32 acp to .458 mag. I would rather prime off press and also operate the powder drop manually on the press. Am I handicapped by my using this fine old press this way - HECK NO! You are only handicapping yourself as much as you want to be. I passed on the LNL craze and just couldn`t bring myself to get `Blue`.Robert

OS OK
02-10-2016, 10:30 PM
My auto bullet feeder and case feeder has never given me any trouble outside of it dropping a 'slick willie' powder coated round ever so often.

I use the left hand too! So actually you could call my LNL a souped up turret.

I do get a 'kick' out of a completed round falling out with every pull! How fast…you ask…about as fast as I feel good that day and am able to stay on top of it.

I don't prime on any of the presses.

Iowa Fox
02-13-2016, 04:25 PM
I started progressive reloading with 2 Dillon 450s...one for 38 Spec. and one for 45acp.

Maybe I'm old and cranky..Hmmmm....definitely old and cranky. But I appreciate the 'old school' 450s more than ever. They are jewels and a pleasure to load on....

Dale

Well Dale, You are not alone. I really like my old 450.

castalott
02-14-2016, 01:53 PM
Well Dale, You are not alone. I really like my old 450.

I would like to think that great minds think alike.... Dale