PDA

View Full Version : Poll on knee replacement

Handloader109
02-06-2016, 11:02 PM
Would like to quizz you guys that have had knee or knees replaced your age when replaced. Wife is going to need and she is only 55. Thanks.

WILCO
02-06-2016, 11:16 PM
Oh boy, the usual suspects won't like seeing a poll in our town.
Prepare to be lambasted with rude posts. :popcorn:

nicholst55
02-07-2016, 12:28 AM
After delaying it - at my Orthopedic Surgeon's advice - until I turned 60, I decided not to wait any longer. They advise you to wait as long as possible due to the nominal 10-year life of the prostheses and our ever increasing life expectancy. Me, I'd rather be unable to walk at 70 than I would 60.

Hickory
02-07-2016, 02:10 AM
I had my knee replaced when I was 55 even though the Dr. and the insurance company wanted me to wait til I was 65. But, I got to the point where the pain was so bad I spent most of my day in a wheelchair.
I think what swayed them to my way of thinking, and it is the truth, no one in my ancestral past lived much beyond the age of 65.

wingspar
02-07-2016, 02:58 AM
Both of my neighbors are in their 50's and both have had both of their knees replaced. She was a telephone lineman and he painted houses and still does. I worked in the woods most of my life, I’m going to turn 70 this summer and have never had knee problems. Am I lucky or in for one hellofa shock one of these days?

Taylor
02-07-2016, 08:33 AM
Pretty the same here,they want me to wait.I am currently under going a once a week injection (5).Made from rooster comb.Back is getting injections too.

Sam Casey
02-07-2016, 01:18 PM
I advise waiting until you can no longer do the things you enjoy the most. In the meanwhile try to lose any extra weight.

opos
02-07-2016, 02:22 PM
My problems began in the early 70's when I suffered the "terrible triad" injury (blown ACL, Torn MCL...destroyed Medial Meniscus and also a shattered knee cap..There were no knee replacements in those days....I was 35 at the time. The doc did a "Slocum" procedure (real meat ball butchery but all they had at the time short of fusing the knee)...He said it might last 15 years and that there was a new procedure called total knee replacement that was "coming along"...I limped and struggled with that blown out knee till June of 2006 when the "grand old man" of knees at Scripps Green hospital agreed to take my knee as a teaching surgery and also as a platform for a trial he was running on a knee that is a bit different.

I was fortunate...he did the surgery (involved) and the knee is functioning great. I'm not a high activity person so the knee is holding up well...because there was so much prior damage my surgery to replace the knee was involved and the recovery was fierce but doable...I was told that he would expect my knee to be good for 15-20 years....I'm now 78 and see him every 2 years and no deterioration at all so I'm not expecting problems....sure an accident or mishap might be an issue but being fairly sedentary keeps the pressure on the artificial knee down.

People that are younger that play tennis, jog, ski or do activities that are hard on a regular knee will have shorter results on a later surgery....I think carrying it as far as a person can was best in my case but your mileage may vary.

therealhitman
02-07-2016, 02:27 PM
Oh boy, the usual suspects won't like seeing a poll in our town.
Prepare to be lambasted with rude posts. :popcorn:

Really? Are you sure? How could this be, we are all so supportive of each other here.

therealhitman
02-07-2016, 02:28 PM
My Father did one knee at 69 and wished he had done both at the same time years before. He is more mobile now at 71 then he has been for many years.

Nose Dive
02-07-2016, 10:20 PM
Do it. Do in now. Follow doctor instructions. Now.

Nose Dive

Cheap, Fast Good. Kindly pick two. ( have two new knees)

dannyd
02-07-2016, 10:26 PM
wife got hers at 52 changed her life way to the better. She became a different person

Freightman
02-07-2016, 11:10 PM
Had the right knee done at67, got infected six weeks later. Cut it open and cleaned it out, should have had it replaced. One bothered me for nine years, finely couldn't stand. Went to the ER they put me in the hospital with a severe infection, the surgeon said infection had been there all the time, and I might lose leg. After three operations and 10 weeks of massive IV antibiotics I got a new knee

Nueces
02-08-2016, 12:00 AM
I'll be 68 when I get mine done in a few months, but the inside cartilage was cut out 50 years ago, so I got full use out of what remained.

starbits
02-08-2016, 01:03 AM
I had both knees replaced 5 years ago at 59. Glad I did it. One thing they don't tell you is that the knee replacement fixes the joint it DOES NOT fix soft tissue damage. The longer you walk on a bad knee, the more you compensate for pain and motion, the more the soft tissue changes to compensate for the new motion. Some of this can be fixed with therapy some can't. The longer you wait the harder it is to fix. My one knee is at 100% the other is about 90%, glad I didn't wait longer.

Starbits

dkf
02-08-2016, 01:06 AM
My mom got both knees replaced when she was 53, both done at the same time.

JeffinNZ
02-08-2016, 03:55 AM
Still have the original running gear and intend to keep it that way if I can.

Lonegun1894
02-08-2016, 05:17 AM
I have not had one (so didn't vote), but have several friends that have, and spent years working in hospitals, to include with knee replacement patients. The general consensus I have been told is wait til you HAVE to, and DO BOTH at the same time if needed. Having said that, I have not been told by a single person that they regretted having it done, but many that said they should have done it sooner, and also many that said they should have had both done at the same time so they would be down and healing once instead of twice--BUT everyone said that it was an excellent decision and helped them greatly. They also said that the first 2-4 days immediately after the surgery they were miserable and questioning if they should have done it, but after a week or so, the healing and improvement makes the first few days worth it and recovery is relatively quick.

41magjh
02-08-2016, 12:31 PM
I had mind done on 1 25 16 today is 2 weeks still have pain but what would you expect. The first twenty four the pain was unbearable I mean pull your hat down tight cause you in for a ride. Would I do it again even with the pain I have today YOU BET I WOULD also had hip in 2013 doing great with it also I'm only 55 but my quality of life was terrible before the surgeries

Handloader109
02-08-2016, 08:48 PM
I THANK YOU guys for the information. She's just about immobile, has has issues with tendinitis in ankle, knees just hurt. Got first shot in left the other day. Right needs it too. We'll see how it goes. Guess it might be a year or so down the road. Again thanks

Lonegun1894
02-08-2016, 10:01 PM
If it's that bad, she may not want to wait a year if it's possible to do it sooner.

Handloader109
02-10-2016, 07:55 AM
Yeah, but she is so pain adverse..... She is afraid of the unknown. And I'd almost have a divorce every day getting her to the rehab. She has to come to the conclusion herself...... Me pushing delays that. Finally figured it out after 35yrs

Col4570
02-10-2016, 11:02 AM
I had both done in 2005,six months between each operation.I have never looked back since then.It made me a new man and I would recommend it to any who need it.Alright after the opp I felt sorry for myself for almost Two Months then I started to feel elated when I could walk considerable distances and not have to deal with pain anymore.A good tip after the opp get on your feet when you get home a go a little further each day although you might feel uncomfortable the exercise will built tissue around the replacement components.I am now 79 years old and minus Pain.Go for it.
http://i1052.photobucket.com/albums/s452/livebattery/IMG_2697.jpg (http://s1052.photobucket.com/user/livebattery/media/IMG_2697.jpg.html)

Col4570
02-10-2016, 11:03 AM
That's me winning a Silver at Clay Busting on my Bionic Legs.

deep creek
02-10-2016, 11:54 PM
Get it done why suffer! Did my right knee in 2014 no pain can do just about anything i hunt elk, deer i trap. Im 69 and doing great!

David2011
02-11-2016, 12:27 AM
This is encouraging. I'm past 60, left knee "popped" sideways while I was lacing up a boot about 4 years ago. Felt like I was struck by lightning. Well, what I imagine it would feel like to be struck by lightning. It's hurt ever since and the right one is catching up. I'm unable to shoot USPSA competitively because I can't run. If I expect to spend four to six hours on my feet I take a pain pill before I start the activity. I'll be talking to the doctor again soon.

The doc gave me a cortisone injection and I felt great for 2 weeks. At the end of 2 weeks it started wearing off and by the third week it was pretty much back to pre-injection. A few months later I got the rooster comb one time injection. I couldn't tell that there was any benefit from that.

For anyone contemplating either of those procedures, the cortisone was no worse than a small Novocain injection and the rooster comb was painless. Hard to imagine, maybe, but I was pleasantly surprised.

David

starbits
02-11-2016, 01:01 AM
Yeah, but she is so pain adverse..... She is afraid of the unknown. And I'd almost have a divorce every day getting her to the rehab.

That is not good. If you have a good therapist they will push you and it will be painful. It is a short term pain for long term gain. Seriously the rehab is the most important part of the process. If she doesn't do the rehab the outcome will not be good. If you allow her to shirk or skip rehab you will both regret it.

Starbits

Col4570
02-11-2016, 02:50 AM
Good advice from starbits,I agree that the rehab is most important to good recovery.A cold compress is good for pain relief,I used a Pack of frozen Peas on the sore joint during the healing process,just refreeze every now and then.Try to keep the Bed Sheets from touching the wound,I used a Plastic storage Box with the ends cut out.Go for it.
P S .Most people would buy an ice pack rather than the Frozen Peas,just do,nt eat the Peas :-).Good Luck.

Boz330
02-11-2016, 10:03 AM
This is encouraging. I'm past 60, left knee "popped" sideways while I was lacing up a boot about 4 years ago. Felt like I was struck by lightning. Well, what I imagine it would feel like to be struck by lightning. It's hurt ever since and the right one is catching up. I'm unable to shoot USPSA competitively because I can't run. If I expect to spend four to six hours on my feet I take a pain pill before I start the activity. I'll be talking to the doctor again soon.

The doc gave me a cortisone injection and I felt great for 2 weeks. At the end of 2 weeks it started wearing off and by the third week it was pretty much back to pre-injection. A few months later I got the rooster comb one time injection. I couldn't tell that there was any benefit from that.

For anyone contemplating either of those procedures, the cortisone was no worse than a small Novocain injection and the rooster comb was painless. Hard to imagine, maybe, but I was pleasantly surprised.

David
The Chicken Comb did nothing for me other than put a big dent in my checking account. The cortisone gave me relief for about 2 weeks. Celebrex gave me the most help.
I had the first knee replaced in Sep, 13 and the second Dec, 13, about 2-1/2 months in between. I was deer hunting 3 weeks after the 1st one (carefully). As most pointed out the pain was pretty bad the first couple days but the pain meds helped a bunch. My rehab actually wasn't near as bad as many told me it would be but I started with the attitude that I was going to make this work since I didn't want to be inactive. That can happen after I pass.

Bob

shaner
02-11-2016, 04:37 PM
After delaying it - at my Orthopedic Surgeon's advice - until I turned 60, I decided not to wait any longer. They advise you to wait as long as possible due to the nominal 10-year life of the prostheses and our ever increasing life expectancy. Me, I'd rather be unable to walk at 70 than I would 60.
Same thing with me just got cortisone shots this week iam 58 trying to hold out. A friend had his done at a early age late 50's had to have them done again at 72

salfter
02-12-2016, 03:00 AM
Mom needed something done with her knees for a long time...probably starting around her mid-to-late 40s or so. The doctors were loath to do knee replacements at that age, though, out of concern that she would outlive them, so they tried various other treatments and surgeries in the meantime. She was finally able to get the first knee done at 60, with the other knee following a few months later, and she's been good to go ever since. They're supposed to last 20 years IIRC, so there's still a fair-to-good chance she will outlive them, but at least it's not the dead certainty it would've been if the work had been done at 50 or 55.

winelover
02-12-2016, 08:35 AM
Current knees are projected to last 30-35 years. Had one done last November.....the other is scheduled for next month. PT isn't all that bad....the worst for me was sleeping on my back for well over a month. Was on Celebrex for over 10 years.

Winelover

Bonz
02-12-2016, 09:05 AM
My wife had one of her knees replaced 5 years ago (at 64). The surgeon used a new style of artificial knee that is made similar to the original knee. It uses some type of "space age" material in the area that our cartilage is. The surgeon told us that when this material wears out, the artificial knee is designed to allow a simple out-patient surgery to just replace this worn material. My wife just went thru physical therapy and is now doing exercises every day to strengthen her core muscles. She is then going to have the other knee replaced.

Handloader109
02-12-2016, 09:50 AM
Well, we'll see. Yeah, I'll have to push her. That will be the main issue, rehabilitation. I kind of expect it to be a while longer.... Obviously we has to go through the process.... Try this, try that and end up with Dr recommending the replacement. My daughter will be back home next fall, between the two of us, we can push and badger her rehab.

Ed Bachner
02-12-2016, 11:08 AM
There are two areas I need to weigh in here. The technology has changed very fast,
and it may be hard to find what I got, which I would strongly recommend:

First, the plans for the alignment of the new knee: Biomet has developed a system
called the "Signature" system, which actually takes a full leg MRI/CT scan, and
sends it to Belgium, where your wife's virtual knee is computer generated and
special alignment blocks are designed on her bones, to generate a permanent
alignment. These alignment blocks are sent to your Surgeon, and who uses them
only to align your wife's bone cuts, which is totally important for optimum
alignment success. At incision, each block is temporarily pinned to each of the
femur and tibia, long enough to mark them for the bones to have the correct
facets cut - imperative for proper proper fit of the prostheses.
Side benefit: Smaller incisions, shorter and less painful recovery times.

Now the prostheses: Biomet's "Vanguard XP" knee fixtures are the first
successful designs that allow the Surgeon to RETAIN your ACL and PLC.
Prior fixtures required severance of these. Again, also smaller incisions
and better recovery times.

I got my new knee at age 68, after waiting way too long, but benefitting
in having the time to research the available technologies. I got it done in
MI, at the Declare Knee and Orthopedic Institute, after having some
troubles in finding a surgeon conversant with the procedures (Most
Dr.' just laughed, when I told them I wanted that new process that
allowed me to keep my ACL and PCL!!!

Now, I understand Biomet has been bought by Zimmer, so I'm not
sure about how - or where - to get the new technology.

Make no mistake - knee replacement is painful, and requires loads
of therapy before and after the surgery. But, I've ended up with
a very small scar, and zero - repeat zero after-effects: When asked,
my usual reply is that's gone - no longer a factor - no side effects
or lingering pains. Indeed, I can again get down on my knees when
I need to, for home repairs, maintenance, or just to find something
I've dropped! Also, I was warned that my other knee was getting
close to needing replacement, but it seems to have improved, to
no problems with it, although I tend to "favor" my new knee, when
I need to use one.

One final note; This new knee uses specialized, highly cross-linked
polyethylene inserts for all the wear surfaces. No one seems to know
how long they will last, but if one does wear out, only the insert
needs to be replaced, in a very simple surgery. The Titanium and
Cobalt Chrome base parts are permanent.

Good luck, and please let me know how it all turns out. Just don't
let someone convince you to settle for old technology!

David2011
02-12-2016, 08:37 PM
The Chicken Comb did nothing for me other than put a big dent in my checking account. The cortisone gave me relief for about 2 weeks. Celebrex gave me the most help.

I didn't want to be inactive. That can happen after I pass.

Bob

So true on both counts!

David

winelover
02-13-2016, 08:51 AM
There are two areas I need to weigh in here. The technology has changed very fast,

First, the plans for the alignment of the new knee: Biomet has developed a system

I need to use one.

Ed: The procedure you described is very similar to Smith & Nephew replacements.....which my surgeon uses. They are out of the United Kingdom. IIRC

Winelover

Wild Bill 7
02-13-2016, 10:08 AM
Mrs.WildBill7 has had both knees replaced. In 2014 and 2015. Swore after the first never again, about nine months later(she forgot about the painful rehab) she had it done again. Best thing for her and she walks without any limp. Don't know what type of knee's they are but she likes them now. Amazing that two hours after recovery they have you up and walking, but back in the fifty's when I had my appendix removed you had to stay in bed three weeks. Ah, progress isn't it wonderful.

Chickm1
02-13-2016, 10:37 AM
I am 6 weeks post op. I had my knee replaced in Houston at the Texas Orthopedic Hospital. I was bone on bone. Day 10 was the turning point after the surgery, as far as pain and such. I am still working to get full use of the leg. I am about 4 deg from being able to straighten it, and can only flex it about 100 deg. I have trouble going down steps, but can walk fairly well. I am just worried i will never get full use of it again, but the doctor said I am doing fine.

Boz330
02-13-2016, 12:53 PM
I am 6 weeks post op. I had my knee replaced in Houston at the Texas Orthopedic Hospital. I was bone on bone. Day 10 was the turning point after the surgery, as far as pain and such. I am still working to get full use of the leg. I am about 4 deg from being able to straighten it, and can only flex it about 100 deg. I have trouble going down steps, but can walk fairly well. I am just worried i will never get full use of it again, but the doctor said I am doing fine.

Keep at the PT. Mine went exceptionally well and I had 127* in one and 129* in the other and 0* straight at the end of therapy. My supervised PT lasted about a month and I still do some of the exercises to this day to maintain movement. Especially this time of year.

Bob

Handloader109
04-10-2016, 10:36 AM
Bit of an update. Since last post, new mri on ankle, tendon damaged beyond repair. Went in last week, replaced her tendon with the one across the toes, worked on heel to insure foot will be parallel to the floor. Achilles tendon was fine. Splints two weeks, cast 4 (non walking) and then a month or so pt.....
They did nerve block just prior to surgery, helped the first 24hr with pain. She's done well with the pain, less than the max of oxy taken. Lot of nausea which she tends to have. Not been fun, but tolerable for her. Me, not so much, I'm a bad nurse. And I do need sleep....

sparky45
04-10-2016, 10:55 AM
Still have the original running gear and intend to keep it that way if I can.

You keep running those marathons Jeff, and it WILL be sooner. I did Anesthesia for over 35 years and the number of Knee Replacements steadily went up. Over use/abuse is a major factor and greatly affected by obesity.[smilie=s:

sparky45
04-10-2016, 11:04 AM

I need to use one.

Excellent write-up Ed. The system you describe is still being used, at least it was 5 years ago when I retired from Anesthesia career. I agree, excellent procedure and gives you a custom knee replacement. Zimmer, I believe is the company presently involved and everything is handled in the USA now.

ascast
04-10-2016, 11:11 AM
FWIW my mom is now 97. They would not do knee replacements 10-15 years ago as she was considered too old; 85 ish. I would not be surprised if she topped the 100 mark as there is not much wrong otherwise, a little high blood pressure and increasing forget fullness.
Point is do it now! you may live another 30 years

Multigunner
04-10-2016, 10:06 PM
I'm happy that my knees have held up very well. Possibly because when younger a coach warned me against doing deep knee bends. Apparently many knee problems in later life are the result of unknowingly abusing the joints while doing repetitive exercises when younger.

Oddly enough all my joints seem to be in better shape now than they were only a few years ago. I recently regained full mobility of my left wrist which had been severely limited in movement since an accident when I was a youngster.
My hair is starting to grown darker and thicker as well. Everyone says I look no more than late forties. After many years of not being able to do much I've been out chopping down trees and clearing brush like I was half my age. My eye sight has improved quite a bit in the last four or five years, I don't need my glasses nearly as much. If I suddenly grow a whole new set of teeth I'm really going to freak out.

Oneshot
04-11-2016, 09:52 PM
I had mine done at 53. The first thing I noticed was the lack of pain. It hurt from the surgery but the deep knee pain and the aching were gone. It took from 6-9 nine months for everything to get back to normal. I only wish they had done it years before instead of three arthroscopies (spelling) the shots and a lateral release over the previous 15 or so years. I would highly recommend it if you have a lot of pain or unstability.

abunaitoo
04-12-2016, 06:24 AM
One thing you must do, if replacing a knee, is to stretch, stretch, stretch after surgery.
Have three friends who had it done.
First one did the stretching. Knee was so good he started running mini marathons. Kind of over did it, and his knee is bad again.
Second one didn't do enough stretching. They had to break it so his leg would be straight. He still didn't stretch enough and his leg won't go straight. Doctors will not do any more for him.
Third guy also didn't stretch enough. Can't straighten his legs out. Walks kind of funny.
If you do have it done, stretch it out as much as you can stand, and then some.

white eagle
04-13-2016, 01:36 PM
yep that is what my surgeon told me
if you don't straighten it out post op
chances are pretty good you have sealed your own fate

Circuit Rider
04-13-2016, 09:15 PM
Had my right knee replaced in 2012, need the left one done now. I exercised with the pain to build up my quads and hamstrings before the right one was done. Am starting to exercise for the left one now. My recovery time was short and pain lessened due to my muscles being in good shape. Took 1 pain pill the day of my surgery, none after. CR

quilbilly
04-15-2016, 11:22 PM
My doctor advised me over 15 years ago (I am 66 this year) to wait as long as possible until I could no longer do the things I want to do. Today the pain is low level chronic but I can still get a deer out of the woods by myself and can bicycle 10 miles with no problem (don't ask me to walk more than 15 minutes on concrete though). Still hanging in there with the parts God supplied.

243winxb
04-16-2016, 08:39 AM
Wife age 64