PDA

View Full Version : Gun Show treasures

richhodg66
02-06-2016, 09:02 PM
Went to the little show in Abilene today. From the same table, bought a Pacific C Press (I had been wanting one for a while) and a huge, heavy Redding bench powder measure with a very robust mount some prior owner had fabricated for it. Payed $30 for both and both have all moving parts free and seem complete. I really don't care for gun shows in big cities and have pretty much given up on the ones in Topeka. These little ones are great though.

mac60
02-06-2016, 10:01 PM
That's a fine haul. I never see stuff like that at gun shows around here.

richhodg66
02-06-2016, 10:24 PM
Couldn't believe I got both for $30. I also got a new in the box Dayton Traister trigger for a '98 Mauser for $15 and an older gentleman gave me a sporter stock for a '98 after we talked for a while. The stock will need a little work, but I have the makings for my project now, just need a donor action.

Basically, this same show with a few exceptions makes it once a year to several of the surrounding little towns and is always great. I don't really bother to go to big city shows anymore.

mac60
02-06-2016, 11:15 PM
We have basically 2 within a reasonable drive from the house. The bigger of the 2 is the one I don't care for. At the smaller one there's always powder and primers. You made out like a bandit today though. One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Mk42gunner
02-07-2016, 06:17 PM
Good haul today.

So does the Pacific take shell holders, or does it have one of the caliber specific rams in it? The shell holders are retained in mine with a teeny tiny allen headed set screw.

To tell the truth, I like loading ammo on the Pacific Super C better than using the Rockchucker. The Rockchucker is better for reforming cases, but the Super C has plenty of grunt for loading.

Robert

richhodg66
02-07-2016, 07:10 PM
It has the old style caliber specific ram, not a problem as I know I have one of the universal rams around here somewhere to replace it.

I had an aluminum Pacific C press (yes, aluminum, only one I ever saw) as a spare and about two or thee dozen rams for it, used it as a second press in a geographic bachelor situation, then didn't need it anymore and traded it off. Should have kept some of the rams, with a cheap pair of split ring pliers, it didn't take much longer to change rams than shell holders.

I think I'm going to like the extra room a C press will allow for hands and I also think that for priming on a ram, which I prefer and also seating bullets, there may be some value to that ram working on the up stroke of the handle, might give a better feel.

kopperl
02-07-2016, 09:47 PM
If you don't find your ram give me a holler. Got two of 'em.