PDA

View Full Version : TC Seneca Value

Gtek
02-06-2016, 07:03 PM
Not a lot out there to see current pricing these days, know of a .36 and a .45 and in very nice condition. Knowledge, opinions? Thanks-

bubba.50
02-06-2016, 07:17 PM
they're WORTH 3 or 4 hundred dollars. they may SELL for 2 or 3 times that if they're in nice condition. especially the 36cal.

my opinion & yer welcome to it.

koger
02-06-2016, 07:20 PM
Bubba is right on the$! If I bought one, first thing I would do is glass bed the tang and maybe the whole barrel. In 25+ years of gunsmithing, I have fixed around 40 of them, with cracks in the wrist, behind the tang, and where the wedge pin goes thru. These stocks are petite to begin with in critical areas, an as they dry, get more brittle an shrink, it gets worse. I have bedded several before any problems arose, no issues afterwards. Just my 2 cents worth.

pietro
02-06-2016, 07:41 PM

Most of the split Cherokee/Seneca stocks are from overloads, folks using Hawken (thicker barrel & stock) loads.

Early Cherokee's & Seneca's were unmarked as to model (Hawken, Seneca, etc, etc), the barrel thickness being the best/fastest way to ID the different models. (Seneca/Cherokee bbls = 13/16" across-the-flats, Hawken/Renegade bbls either 15/16" or 1")

I have both .36 & .45 Seneca's, and would advise surfing only sold online, guns-only auctions (gunbroker, gunauction, etc, etc) to find out how much folks have been paying for one, recently.

I would expect that someone would have to pony up $400-$500 for a .45, and $600-$800 for a .36, both in pristine condition - and not taking ignorant sellers into account.

http://s26.postimg.org/5ucgxxrzt/DSCN2036.jpg

http://s26.postimg.org/851dy60hl/Seneca_s.jpg

Squeeze
02-06-2016, 08:30 PM
theres a lot of variables. I have 3 cherokees, and the stocks vary from a dull blond, to a beautiful premium figured stock. I LOVE the 30 twist .32. I cant shoot the .45, it punches me in the cheek every time.

Beagle333
02-06-2016, 08:44 PM
EASILY 400 bucks. Over 5 if clean. Grab em if available!!!!

OverMax
02-06-2016, 08:46 PM
Always wanted one. But their selling prices are so inflated. I guarantee anyone showing interest in. A moment of Sticker Shock in there attempted buying. Over in my neck of the woods. If you can find one? No doubt there a high dollar toy. 8-900.00 for a nice one.

BPJONES
02-06-2016, 09:04 PM
Yeah, easily $500.00 and more if it's a top condition rifle. One was listed last fall where I am in 36 caliber. I think it was $500.00 or $550.00 and it lasted all of 5 minutes. I didn't see it in time!

richbug
02-06-2016, 09:10 PM
There is a fair/rough .45 with a cracked wrist at the local shop. Asking $300ish IIRC. It sure pointed good.

swamp
02-06-2016, 11:14 PM
There is a 32 T/C marked as a Seneca. Doesn't have the same style stock as my 36. It is priced at $675. Real good condition. Too pricy for me.
Next on my wish list is a #3 in 375 Win.
swamp

pietro
02-07-2016, 12:39 AM
There is a 32 T/C marked as a Seneca. Doesn't have the same style stock as my 36. It is priced at $675. Real good condition. Too pricy for me.

It sounds like someone dropped a Seneca barrel into a Cherokee stock.

Here's a pic of my Cherokee & Seneca .45's:

http://s26.postimg.org/3xj6uo2d5/DSCN1904.jpg

swamp
02-07-2016, 12:44 AM
I always thought the Senecas were 36 and the Cherokees were 32. Didn't know about the 45s till I read about them on the forum.

I think I have the best of both. I have a 32 Cherokee barrel that mounts in my Seneca stock. Both are a lot of fun. Bought the 36 back when T/C brought them out. Haven't regretted it.

swamp

C. Latch
02-07-2016, 12:54 AM
theres a lot of variables. I have 3 cherokees, and the stocks vary from a dull blond, to a beautiful premium figured stock. I LOVE the 30 twist .32. I cant shoot the .45, it punches me in the cheek every time.

30 twist?

I didn't know they were 30-twist. Huh. Learn something every day.

A 30-twist .36 caliber would be fun, with all those .357 bullets I have.

pietro
02-07-2016, 05:53 AM
I always thought the Senecas were 36 and the Cherokees were 32. Didn't know about the 45s till I read about them on the forum.

IIRC, the downsize Cherokee's & Seneca's were made in .32, .36, & .45 calibers; the like-sized (downsized barrel & lock) Patriot target pistol in .36 & .45 calibers.

RBak
02-07-2016, 04:04 PM

I think I have the best of both. I have a 32 Cherokee barrel that mounts in my Seneca stock. Both are a lot of fun. Bought the 36 back when T/C brought them out. Haven't regretted it.

swamp
No clue as to how I came by that line of thinking, but I have always thought the same thing.

I owned a Cherokee once, and it gave me a whole new perspective on that little caliber.
I suspect, like many others, prior to owning that little gun I had always thought of the .32 as being more like the .22LR, but you don't have to own one more than a day or two to see how bad wrong that line of thinking is.

Insofar as price, like others, I have seen them all over the spectrum, but eventually I came away with the conclusion that they are spendy, very spendy, and perhaps with good reason.
When I read posts like this one I always have to ask myself, "what on earth was I thinking when that I let that little rifle go"???

Russ

Gtek
02-07-2016, 07:08 PM
Update on Seneca's- First, Thank You all for your timely responses and opinions. They are going to be living at my house for a while now. .45 is s/n 42XXX barrel not marked with Seneca, bore very clean and smooth and nice clean blue. Wood has a few small marks and bumps with medium grain but nice looking. Brass front cup end of rod has marks from pliers (GRRRRR!), have to look into replacing. .36 is s/n 27XXX, no Seneca marking and bore has a little drag near bottom but smooth and clean all the way to top. Light freckling external barrel (has a date with some #0000). Both set triggers good and I feel really lucky that I walked into them. He threw five hundred at me for the pair and I did not even argue, probably should have but my future Karma and JooJoo may have been altered. Have 32 and 50 really over covered, probably just go on and buy RB's and then start the hunt for the 350/440 molds. Get them real clean, 100% tear down and inspection, notes and plan for restore and then go make some smoke!

pietro
02-07-2016, 08:58 PM

$500 ? For BOTH ? ? You've done well, Pilgrim. :D

Gtek
02-07-2016, 10:03 PM
I called him back last night, told him I would really like to look over again. Pretty sure he knew he had me, good thing I don't like Poker. Yes Sir, feeling lucky on that one! They have found a good home and will be cared for above and beyond in my stable.

quilbilly
02-08-2016, 12:20 AM

$500 ? For BOTH ? ? You've done well, Pilgrim. :D

. If you get both for that price, run like a thief. I have both a Cherokee and a Seneca in 45 and they are my favorite tack drivers with PRB. Many deer have succumbed to them. Sadly, my Seneca stock took damage while dragging a mule deer buck out when the rifle slipped and over a stump. Even though the Seneca shoots even better held together with duct tape, I hope to restock it with fiddleback or quilt maple from my own trees and will likely be too beautiful to take hunting. The original stocks were always delicate and graceful so treat them well. They are so deadly with PRB on deer that there is no need to overload them (55 gr of FFF does just fine in the 45). Both the Seneca and Cherokee are a bit finicky about what mold their round balls come from so you may have to experiment.

Gtek
02-08-2016, 12:57 AM
"Both the Seneca and Cherokee are a bit finicky about what mold their round balls come from so you may have to experiment". Size, Maker, your experiences? I am going to probably be looking real soon. My OCD really gets along well with single cavity molds, and the Lyman's I have for the 32 and 50 seem to be fine. Not a real fan of aluminum.

quilbilly
02-08-2016, 01:00 PM
When I got my Seneca years ago, T/C still sold molds for their muzzleloaders so bought a single cavity. Round balls from that mold shot great so I got a twin cavity from Lyman supposed the same size (mic's the same!) and the rifle wouldn't shoot worth a darn. .440 store bought round balls shoot well but not like from that T/C mold. Lee .440 balls shoot pretty well too. I noticed years ago that every muzzleloader has a personality of it's own especially with conical boolits but also true with round ball. Worthy of note is that both rifles like to have the sprue filed down a bit.

Geezer in NH
02-08-2016, 05:30 PM
If you don't buy for 500 each you do not deserve them.

The 45 is worth the 500 the 36 2-4 hundred more in my idea sold them 10 years ago in my shop for that so todays price should be more.

Note snooze you lose.

The Seneca was the best rifle TC ever made.

shdwlkr
02-09-2016, 01:51 PM
A few years ago when I was in NM I came across a Cherokee and a Seneca in a LGS I spent lot of funds at and the person behind the counter told me I could have both for $600 and I took them home. I now have 2 of each and if I come across anymore I will buy them also. Have something like 7-8 TC muzzle loaders now. Last year I picked up a big boar in rough shape but it shoots just fine, I only want shooters not wall hangers

jjarrell
02-19-2016, 01:49 PM
I just picked this .36 Cal Seneca up last night at an estate auction for $65. No marks on the wood and perfect bore. If its been shot you cant tell it. I'm sure it has been but its in immaculate condition. Brass needs polished but that's it. I got a .54 Hawken and a 12ga New Englander for $105 and $80 also. All 3 were pre warning pieces. People there really didn't know what they were. One other gentleman really wanted an old Kentucky Rifle that was there. He bid that one up pretty high. I walked out of there with those 3 T/Cs feeling like I would be arrested for stealing.......LOL

shdwlkr
02-19-2016, 02:50 PM
you did very well sir, the last seneca I got I paid something like $300 for it and was pleased with that price

dondiego
02-19-2016, 02:56 PM
Don't polish that brass if you are going coyote hunting as you posted in another thread. I like my brass dull anyway. Gives it character.

mooman76
02-19-2016, 05:09 PM
I just picked this .36 Cal Seneca up last night at an estate auction for $65. No marks on the wood and perfect bore. If its been shot you cant tell it. I'm sure it has been but its in immaculate condition. Brass needs polished but that's it. I got a .54 Hawken and a 12ga New Englander for $105 and $80 also. All 3 were pre warning pieces. People there really didn't know what they were. One other gentleman really wanted an old Kentucky Rifle that was there. He bid that one up pretty high. I walked out of there with those 3 T/Cs feeling like I would be arrested for stealing.......LOL

You sir are a thief! Great buy. Wish I was so lucky. Hope they are great shooters for you.

Gtek
02-20-2016, 11:27 PM
The two I just picked up for five bills were nice but had some character, feeling really good about my deal and just finished 100% tear down and inspection this morning. Then log on tonight and read this with you chiming in, all three for $250! I hope you bought a lottery ticket or took momma to dinner or something. You might want to tear down soon, I found corrosion just getting started behind plate, inside trigger and under brass.You've done very well, now on to enjoying them!

Geezer in NH
02-24-2016, 10:20 PM
DO NOT Polish the brass that is called PATINA! That devalues you gun that is worth as you described 700+++ dollars

Gtek
02-25-2016, 10:44 PM
Maybe misunderstood, inside of lock plate, on top off and in trigger mechanism. The interior side of ferrous components that cannot seen. And yes, wipe the green stuff off inside of brass because nobody is going to see that either.