PDA

View Full Version : Shot my first cast boolits today!

Beaverhunter2
04-26-2008, 11:00 PM
I was hoping to get basic starting loads for 3 boolits for my .450 1895M and one for my .480 SRH- I went three for four.

In the .450:
The RD 425gr shot nice 2" 5-shot group with 45gr of H322.
The RD 350gr shot an even nicer group with 48gr of H322.
The Lee 405gr PB shot a 2"group as well with 20gr of 2400. (This will be my plinker load.)

The .480 (Lee 400gr PB) was a bit less cooperative. All loads used 8.5gr Unique
Tried ACWW with LLA 5" 6-shot group
Tried WCWW with JPW 3" group
Tried ACWW with JPW- 6" group
Tried more ACWW with LLA- groups opened up even further. Checked the bore- leading for the first 3" of barrel (from the chamber end). I'm glad I got the tip on using a piece of chore boy on a bore brush to get the lead out.

All shots were at 50yds from a rest. I'm going to be doing more development on the RD boolit loads. I'm also going to cast up some more WC boolits for the .480 and try them with both lubes.

It sure was fun shooting boolits I made myself!

John

Jon K
04-26-2008, 11:44 PM
John,

What a rush and sense of pride in the results of boolits made with your own two hands................NOW YOU'RE HOOKED! Just remember now the possibilities and new calibers & moulds are unlimited & never ending.

Have Fun Casting & Have Fun Shooting,

Jon

Beaverhunter2
04-27-2008, 12:33 AM
Jon, I agree- it really was a rush to come back on target and see a nice little cluster of holes growing in the target. If it hadn't been for a "flyer" the 405gr load would have been an inch. And the RD loads shot pretty well considering it was just a "starter". Now I need to load a few rounds up and down from the starting charge and see where the groups go.

Another thing I really like is the 405gr load is cheaper to shoot than my .17 Mach II- and a lot more fun! A gentleman at the range asked me what the load was and when I told him, he asked if I knew the muzzle velocity. I said I hadn't chrono'ed it yet as this was my first time shooting it, but I estimate it at about 1000fps and that this was going to be my plinker. He laughed and said "A 400 grain boolit at 1000fps and that's your plinker load!! I'd hate to see what that thing would do if you were really mad at something!" It may be a pumpkin roller, but I'd stay out of the way of the pumpkin!

What I'm really looking forward to is putting the spurs to some of the RD boolits. I think the RP 300gr JHPs I use for deer hunting may start to gather some dust. Or should I say used to use for deer hunting?!? ;)

John