PDA

View Full Version : 1911 guide rod

bigted
02-06-2016, 01:36 PM
I have a Springfield 1911 A1 with the two piece full length rod in it.

I hate the fact I need an Allen wrench to field trip.

Can I just remove the front half of the screw together rod and shoot it like that?

I do not see why not as the factory set up originally from colt didn't have the full length rod.

What advantage is the full length rod anyway?

Dan Cash
02-06-2016, 02:45 PM
I feel your pain. After working with the 1911 since the mid 1960s on a daily basis, I can not find one real reason for the full length guide rod, Every full size 1911 I own has been stripped of the 2 piece and re equipped with a standard government guide rod.

Can you shoot the gun with only the rear portion of the 2 piece rod in place? Not sure what would happen as the spring could get hung on the blunt end of the rod. A mil spec guide rod won't break you up in business to buy unless it says Les Bear or Wilson.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-06-2016, 02:52 PM
Gee--put that way, I don't see why not. Try it for a round or two. The only thing that comes to my mind is that most of the short original equipment one piece rods are rounded on the front so as to allow the coils of the spring to pass over it, and the rear part of a two piece rod might be squared off on the front for a flush fit with the front half and might catch on the coils. But one or two experimental rounds shouldn't hurt much.

If you need an original part I might have one in the parts drawers--I'd have to look.

I've got a 1911 with a one piece full length rod, and can disassemble/reassemble without a tool (might need a barrel bushing wrench) and as I recall it took just a bit of hand filing and polishing to made it work properly. All my other 1911s use the original short style.

Plate plinker
02-06-2016, 02:58 PM
You do not need the full length rod, but I wonder about the blunt end also damaging the spring. I would just buy a new rod they don't cost that much.

Mk42gunner
02-06-2016, 03:31 PM
My Kimber got a Gov't surplus guide rod and plug the first time I field stripped it. It has worked fine for fifteen years now.

Robert

Joni Lynn
02-06-2016, 04:08 PM
I switched a few of mine over to the original style shorty rod and cap (plug).
I have no liking for most flgr's if they hinder the take down process. (that's almost all of them)
I don't think I'd run the gun with just the front portion taken off due to the open end of the cap or plug. Look into Brownell's and buy a short rod and plug. Since you're paying the shipping anyway you might consider it money ahead in the long run to get more than one.

Jupiter7
02-06-2016, 07:30 PM
All mine have been replace with standard GI setup. Can be ordered for like $10, problem solved.

KYCaster
02-06-2016, 09:23 PM
Looks like I'm the odd man out here since I prefer the full length guide rod.

I'll happily swap a GI guide rod and plug for your Springfield parts.

Jerry

apen
02-06-2016, 09:52 PM

Jerry

Why do you prefer it?

GhostHawk
02-06-2016, 10:05 PM
Well I am new to 1911's, been shooting my SA for about a year. Saw that some put full length guide rods, but I felt no need to change mine.

As I understand it the guide rod should have little bearing on accuracy. Bushing I can see could put pressure on the barrel but the guide rod just keeps the spring straight so it can't bend into a horseshoe and jam up the works.

When in doubt I tend to trust Mr Browning. If he felt the need he would have made it that way.
You have to figure a lot of the aftermarket parts out there is just a way to make some money. Actual proof that a full length guide rod shaves X off your group seems to be lacking.

Bigslug
02-06-2016, 11:15 PM
KyCaster has offered you a trade not to be passed up, but yeah, as stated Springfield will solve your problem for cheap. They install FLGR's because people THINK they give some benefit. On a truly sloppy gun, they might help the barrel return to a more consistent alignment with the sights from shot to shot, but in a case where the gun is decently fit to begin with. . .well. . .Les Baer's match pistols, arguably the most accurate 1911's made, use John Browning's standard recoil spring plunger.

The original blueprint is not one that needs a lot of messin' with.

bigted
02-06-2016, 11:36 PM
no interest in getting rid of my parts ... thanks just the same. I would and prolly will get the colt style plug and rod for my springfield but will keep hold of the parts

Bigslug
02-07-2016, 02:53 AM
no interest in getting rid of my parts ... thanks just the same. I would and prolly will get the colt style plug and rod for my springfield but will keep hold of the parts

Good idea! Put them on your wall in a shadow box next to a set of Series 80 trigger parts and a Sig/S&W external extractor and have the whole mess referred to by a fancy brass plaque that reads "First Commandment: Thou Shalt Not **** With Browning's Blueprints":lol:

Jupiter7
02-07-2016, 09:06 AM
Good idea! Put them on your wall in a shadow box next to a set of Series 80 trigger parts and a Sig/S&W external extractor and have the whole mess referred to by a fancy brass plaque that reads "First Commandment: Thou Shalt Not **** With Browning's Blueprints":lol:
Don't forget Springfield's ILS in the mainspring housing. Maybe a Ruger transfer bar too...

ole 5 hole group
02-07-2016, 12:23 PM
I'll just add this little tidbit - I don't think you'll find any 1911's on the line being used by any of our Service Team Members that have a full length rod guide installed. I would think that just means they have found no benefit to accuracy or reliability from using it. That's not saying there bad - just not needed to improve anything on a well made and set-up 1911.

Char-Gar
02-07-2016, 12:49 PM
Yep, the original Colt style guide rod is the way to go. I bit on the FL guide rod stuff some years ago, but threw it in the trash in a couple of months. It was one of the notions to improve on John Browning's design that didn't have any basis in reality.

Joni Lynn
02-07-2016, 04:00 PM
The old story of the spring kinking is a fable, there's not enough room for the spring to do much except go back and forth.
Mr Browning's design was pretty much fool proof. I figure anything short of the spring breaking into pieces and a 1911 would just continue to run.

MtGun44
02-07-2016, 04:45 PM
Joni Lynn is absolutely right. Well said!

Bill

John 242
02-07-2016, 05:59 PM
Some people, myself included, feel that a 1911 runs smoother with a full length guide rod. This is certainly a subjective claim.
FLGRs allow you to remove the slide assembly as a unit by simply pulling the slide stop. The spring remains captured in the slide, around the guide rod. If you occasionally run a .22 cal conversion, like I do, this is very helpful.
A tungsten guide rod can add a little weight to the front end of the pistol, although not much.
Disassembling a pistol with a (one piece) FLGR is not significantly more difficult than one without it.

There's always a lot of talk about not deviating from Browning's original design, but it was the US Army that drove the development of the pistol that became the 1911. Browning and Colt had to modify their original design, the 1902, over a period of nearly TEN YEARS, before the Army was satisfied with the resulting pistol. For good or bad, the 1911 was hugely a product of Browning giving the US Army what it wanted.
Is the 1911A1 an abomination?

In the end, it is the user that has to decide which features they feel they need in a 1911 type pistol.
I prefer sights that I can see (actually i prefer tritium night sights), a FLGR, beaver tail grip safety, checkered front strap, arched mainspring housing, long trigger, slightly beveled mag well, and (horror of all horrors!) an extended thumb safety and magazine release.

.429&H110
02-07-2016, 06:30 PM
At the top of the page type into the search: full length guide rod am I crazy
and you could read for a day and not be finished.
Best part of this forum is Search
It's amazing!

gnostic
02-07-2016, 08:38 PM
I've disassemble my series 70 Gold Cup, with 2 piece guide rod. Without the use of an allen wrench for 40 years. I didn't know I needed one. There's a reason why, most modern semi-autos have a captive recoil spring. I can't imagine, how many buckets of 45's I've fired over the years and this handgun still looks near new.

KYCaster
02-08-2016, 12:07 AM

Jerry

Why do you prefer it?

Some people, myself included, feel that a 1911 runs smoother with a full length guide rod. This is certainly a subjective claim.
FLGRs allow you to remove the slide assembly as a unit by simply pulling the slide stop. The spring remains captured in the slide, around the guide rod. If you occasionally run a .22 cal conversion, like I do, this is very helpful.
A tungsten guide rod can add a little weight to the front end of the pistol, although not much.
Disassembling a pistol with a (one piece) FLGR is not significantly more difficult than one without it.

There's always a lot of talk about not deviating from Browning's original design, but it was the US Army that drove the development of the pistol that became the 1911. Browning and Colt had to modify their original design, the 1902, over a period of nearly TEN YEARS, before the Army was satisfied with the resulting pistol. For good or bad, the 1911 was hugely a product of Browning giving the US Army what it wanted.
Is the 1911A1 an abomination?

In the end, it is the user that has to decide which features they feel they need in a 1911 type pistol.
I prefer sights that I can see (actually i prefer tritium night sights), a FLGR, beaver tail grip safety, checkered front strap, arched mainspring housing, long trigger, slightly beveled mag well, and (horror of all horrors!) an extended thumb safety and magazine release.

What John said, mostly.

Just a matter of preference. Doesn't bother me a bit if you don't agree. Seems to me if the mod doesn't interfere with proper function then what's the problem?......no harm, no foul!

Full length guide rod seems to operate a bit smoother. Does the GI guide rod work? Of course it does.....my FLGR does too. So what's the problem?

Beaver Tail Grip Safety.....Wouldn't keep a 1911 without it. Two mags through a GI spec gun and I bleed. Beaver tail cures that....so what's the problem?

Can't say I care for extended safety and slide stop, but if that's what you like, that's fine with me.

Arched main spring housing vs. flat.....don't knock it till you try it. Main spring housing can make a dramatic difference in POI and recoil recovery. You may be surprised at the difference it can make.

Flared mag well.....of course! How could that possibly be a negative?

On the down side...... What's this fascination with Pachmayer wrap around rubber grips? The GI spec grip is too big for most people as it is. Why in the world would you want to make it bigger?

But.....that's just My-Not-So-Humble-Opinion. It's OK with me if you don't agree, just don't ask me to agree with your opinion without comment.

Jerry

therealhitman
02-08-2016, 01:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVXOj9Uc5pg

MtGun44
02-08-2016, 01:12 AM
FLGR is not useful other than, literally, as a weight. I have used a tungsten rod, steel and none, all for many
tens of thousands of rounds in competition. Now, none in my guns any more. No need for the weight, and all
other claims are illusions, other than the obvious PITA on disassembly. And, yes, I do know many different ways
to field strip a 1911 after 36 yrs of shooting them and many hundreds of thousands of rounds downrange.
Still a PITA compared to stock with no gain other than weight. If you want weight, it is good. If not, it is
unneeded.

Bill

apen
02-08-2016, 11:08 AM
What John said, mostly.

Just a matter of preference. Doesn't bother me a bit if you don't agree. Seems to me if the mod doesn't interfere with proper function then what's the problem?......no harm, no foul!

Full length guide rod seems to operate a bit smoother. Does the GI guide rod work? Of course it does.....my FLGR does too. So what's the problem?

I didn't offer an opinion one way or the other. I simply asked a question. Be defensive with those that said you don't need it. I didn't do that.

Petrol & Powder
02-11-2016, 09:29 AM
Back when I was into the 1911 I used both the stock set up and the guide rod. I came to the same conclusion, the FLGR is not needed and adds nothing other than a little bit of weight. I've also used an empty 45 casing with the rim turned down as a recoil spring plug! (long story that didn't involve lost parts, just lost sanity)

tim338
02-11-2016, 10:06 AM
Interesting, as looking at the latest Brownells catalog a Clark full legnth guide rod is offered. I don't have a opinion either way. I have run a 1911 with both and I didn't see a difference either way. So whatever floats your boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVXOj9Uc5pg

apen
02-12-2016, 10:13 AM
Back when I was into the 1911 I used both the stock set up and the guide rod. I came to the same conclusion, the FLGR is not needed and adds nothing other than a little bit of weight. I've also used an empty 45 casing with the rim turned down as a recoil spring plug! (long story that didn't involve lost parts, just lost sanity)

I once watched my plug go flying over the bench in front of the line during a slow fire stage
When I was trying to fix something in a hurry.
That will make you lose a little sanity.:grin:

Hickok
02-12-2016, 11:50 AM
I hate to FLGR. My Kimber has one. MTGN44 said it right, PITA.

ole 5 hole group
02-12-2016, 12:15 PM
I once watched my plug go flying over the bench in front of the line during a slow fire stage
When I was trying to fix something in a hurry.
That will make you lose a little sanity.:grin:

Never experienced anything like that but clearing a stovepipe always got me concerned in ragged fire, as sometimes it cost me 10 points!!!!;)