PDA

View Full Version : old Remington bullets

abunaitoo
02-05-2016, 09:16 PM
I know there are some old time hunters out there.
Anyone with any experience with Remington 270cal 130gr Bronze point bullets?????
Currently using Nosler 130gr Yellow tip partitions.

Clay M
02-05-2016, 09:35 PM
I still have about 350 of the .30 cal Rem 180 gr bronze points.
They were like a forerunner to the Ballistic tip. The same type idea.
I have never found the ones I have to be all that accurate in most of my rifles.

Outpost75
02-05-2016, 09:54 PM
The bronze point bullets are not controlled expansion, but are intended to upset easily at long range on light game like pronghorn or deer. They were also used for tower loads in corrections facilities because they would break up and not riccochet. They come apart on auto glass. The 150-grain in .30-'06 cycles well in a Garand and shoots to the same sight dope as Ball M2.

Kraschenbirn
02-05-2016, 10:52 PM
Talk about 'memory lane'!! I recall shooting those same 130 gr. Bronze points in the first centerfire hunting rifle I ever owned; a Win. 70 'Featherweight' back in the early 1960s. Took my first Wisconsin whitetail with that combination...'picture book' frontal quartering shot at about 125 yds; bullet entered just ahead of right shoulder and exited through the ribs on the opposite side; buck took about 6 steps before he dropped. As I recall, the Remington factory loads weren't quite as accurate as our handloads (the .270 Win. was my first reloading experience, supervised by my Boy Scout rifle team coach) but would put the first three shots inside of a couple inches at 100 yds from the Winchester's 'soda straw' barrel. After that, accuracy was kind of a crapshoot until the barrel cooled down. Sure wish I still had that rifle, though.

Bill

onceabull
02-08-2016, 12:48 PM
Got my own Rem.Bronze point story...Back in the when, I bought a Rem.81 autoloader,and when I queried the seller about ammunition,He sez,Oh,yeah,I've some at home,You can get cheap iffen y'all come over..Egad,two full big green boxes,150 gr BRONZE POINTS,in great shape, and a Partial with 14 more...Numskull style,I shot up the partials.Still have one full box,all saraned up..Fully collector priced..!! Yet to see even a single such cartridge for sale hereabouts.. Onceabull

abunaitoo
02-09-2016, 05:08 AM
I tried some with the same load as the Nosler this Sunday.
Not good at all.
Any load data out there for these bullets????

Clay M
02-09-2016, 11:45 AM
I tried some with the same load as the Nosler this Sunday.
Not good at all.
Any load data out there for these bullets????

As far as the .270 win goes, I have had good luck with IMR 4831
I never had any luck with the bronze points. The bronze tip is loose in many of the bullets I have.