PDA

View Full Version : Whitworth Rollingblock Conversion

Rattlesnake Charlie
02-05-2016, 07:16 PM
I have a rollingblock rifle with the name Whitworth on it. It is chambered for .22 long. The rifling is long gone. Is this rifle strong enough to be rechambered, and the barrel redone, for the .32 S&W or .32 S&W long? Should I just have it relined for .22 LR? I've did some online research on this rifle, but info is scarce.

pietro
02-05-2016, 08:15 PM

IMO, w/o knowing which RB you have (#1, #3, #4, #5, etc) the safest way to proceed would be to have the barrel relined in .22LR.

country gent
02-05-2016, 09:24 PM
That rolling block in 22 lr will be alot of fun to shoot and work with. I picked up a Remington rolling block in 22 long rifle for my second Grandson. cleaned it up good and scrubbed the bore, its still a shooter and very accurate. The day I took it to the club to test it I got alot of looks and comments about it. Another thing to consider is current and future value. Some of these old rifles are starting to become collectors in their own right

ndnchf
02-06-2016, 08:10 AM
Is it a #1, #2 or #4 action? Each model is very different. If it's a #1 or #2, it would be fine with 32 S&W or long. If a #4 I would say no if it's a takedown. If it's a solid frame, 32 S&W would be ok with moderate loads.