PDA

View Full Version : lee mold questions

shooter93
10-16-2005, 11:25 PM
I see a number of people here talking about Lee 6 cavity molds. I've always used high quality steel molds, never used an Aluminium one so a couple of questions. Are their multi cavity molds Alum. too
Has anyone ever measured bullets from each cavity to check the size variation and what's the difference?
Have you weighed bullets from each cavity and again the difference.
Has anyone cast huge quanities with their molds, as in well over 10,000 bullets and have they held up well?
Thanks.
Scott

Oldfeller
10-17-2005, 12:11 AM
Durability has been tested against thousands of open-close cycles by many of us, but generally not against tens of thousands of cycles. Statistical information has been generated in the past on a 100 count mold run, not cavity to cavity variation within a six up mold run.

PS At the time that statistical data was done, LEE was breaking ground on a looooong carbide boring bar in a loooong deep 6.5 cavity. Results weren't very pretty and the mold Honcho had to cherry pick & hand lap the entire 100 count run of molds.

What was learned was that LEE doesn't always hold their advertised .003" total tolerance 100% of the time, exceptions do take place when a boring bar dulls or the cutting edge chips. Exceptions generally go to an undersized condition, but have gone OS as well.

Boring bars get changed during a long mold run. Our six up mold runs ARE large runs because 25x6 holes is a lot of holes. So, we are also dealing with setup changes within a mold run.

Lots of opportunities for variation.

However, LEE $56 six up custom cut molds are the best deal going for low price, number of cavities and a relatively decent sprue cutter and block pin alignment system. And LEE is getting better about holding tolerance.

But we still have to have discussions about where to put our tolerance spans to best protect ourselves against the dimensional flyers that can be generated by LEE's cavity cutting process.

Oldfeller

Buckshot
10-17-2005, 05:34 AM
...........If their 1 and 2 cavity units were constructed the same, they'd certainly cost more, but they'd stand a chance of lasting a lot longer also.

http://www.fototime.com/1AE0897904B8239/standard.jpg

A VERY poor photo, but you can still see the steel alingment pin (right end) and a mating steel tube at the left end. No steel on aluminum with these.

http://www.fototime.com/2F4D38B2CF5BAC0/standard.jpg

A substantialy thicker sprueplate, which is anodized aluminum. The handle is the sprueplate handle. It has a cam shaped face which bears agains the side of the block. This leps greatly in the initial simultaneous cutting of the 6 sprues.

http://www.fototime.com/34DC7833A633206/standard.jpg

This is about an hour and a half's worth of work with the Lee 358-148WC and a 6 cavity mould. That box is 2" deep, 6" wide and a foot long.

http://www.fototime.com/A30C5C8DCA91B7F/standard.jpg

This is almost exactly 4 hours work, and that includes back streatching breaks and swapping handles between mould blocks. It's almsot as much work keepting a 20lb pot topped up when things are smoothly clicking along. I'd imagine there is close to 40 lbs of boolits in those 2 containers.

I have never bothered to mike slugs form the 6 cavity mould I have. I do have a couple rifle boolit moulds in them but so far have only cast with one. Those that I lube sized were all visually inspected and certainly lube-sized with the same apparent effort. Of course that's not the same as miking them. However they shot well :D

...............Buckshot

Marc2
10-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Shooter,

I have a 6 cavity 230 grain tumble lube that has cast approximately 6,000 bullets. Divided by 6 is 1000 casts and still going strong. I have 11 Lee molds and have yet to wear one out, although, I'm sure it can be done. Had to send one back that had a bad cavity from the get go that Lee-menting didnt help but otherwise no serious problems. Lube the alignment pins, be careful not to gaul the top of the blocks with the sprue plate, treat it judiciously and you should get your moneys worth. The production molds are warranted for 2 years. Dont know about the warranty on the custom molds. Maybe another board menber knows.
Marc in VA.

David R
10-17-2005, 06:11 PM
I poured 1250 45s the first time out with my new 6 cavity mold. Still looks like new. I have a 45 200 Tumble Lube mold that made zillions of boolits when I was shooting bowling pins. Stll works like new. I was less of a caster then and had smeared lead on top of the blocks and bottom of the sprue plate. Now I use the BruceB method and that problem has gone away. Boolit bases are flatter too. They work great for me. Just use a little lube now and then.

David

Rod B
10-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Please explain the "BruceB method".

Thanks, Rod. :wink:

David R
10-18-2005, 06:25 AM
Rod,

Go to the top of this page and click on Check out the cast boolit articles and read the one about speedcasting. It changed the way I pour boolits for ever.

David

Bret4207
10-18-2005, 07:09 AM
Lubrication of the sprue plate hinge and the other obvous wear points and the alignment pins is the big thing with any of the Lees. The 6 cavity jobs, especially the stock designs, are about as good a deal as you'll get for a multicavity mould. As far as long term use goes I can't say. My 6 banger Lees have been used quite a bit, but my most used one has probably only thrown 1000 boolits. From my observations I think it's mostly a matter of keeping an eye on the mould and the very second something seems wrong you fix it then and there. No trying for another half dozen cycles. This is numero uno in maintaining the sprue plate which is where most of the problems arise it seems. Once you really gaul the top of the mould it's either get a new one or take a trip to the machine shop for flatening. Treat it like a precision instrument and it'll work fine and you won't have those problems. I wish Dan at Mountain Molds made something like a 6 cav. I'd go for brass I think 'cuz it's a bit lighter than iron. My H+G 10 is a bear to handle. The 6 cav Lee is a feather compared to that and it makes things a bit less clumsey.

yammerschooner
10-18-2005, 12:34 PM
Rod,

Go to the top of this page and click on Check out the cast boolit articles and read the one about speedcasting. It changed the way I pour boolits for ever.

David

Thanks for pointing that out. I don't know as I ever would have noticed it. Looks like I will be making some changes in order to speed up and get rid of the smear.

slughammer
10-18-2005, 07:21 PM
Lubrication of the sprue plate hinge and the other obvous wear points and the alignment pins is the big thing with any of the Lees.

I will say, that a lack of lube caused me to really mess up 2 Lee 6 cavities in a hurry. Both of them have severe galling between the mold block and the sprue plate right around where the pivot bolt is. The galling pushes up the sprue plate and the boolit bases get fins on them.

The 9mm 130gr I got about 4000 boolits from and the 40cal 180 I only got 1400. I think of it as a learning lesson, I never had a problem with a steel mold when used in the same fashion.

Lesson learned, aluminum is much more susceptible to galling than steel. The first thing I do with ANY mold now is REMOVE the sprue plate and lube that joint. Treated that way I would say that longevity is increased 10 fold.

I think that the NAPA spray that some of guys are starting to use would serve the same purpose over the entire top of the mold, might be the way I go in the future.

keeper89
10-19-2005, 01:20 AM
NAPA DGF spray really is the best thing since sliced bread--unless you REALLY like wearing out a pencil coating sprue blate bottoms on a hot hunk of metal!!! I know I won't ever not have a can or two on the bench!

Springfield
10-19-2005, 01:40 AM
I have cast about 40,000 bullets each with my 44-40 and my 45 Colt 6 cavity moulds. They don't look like new but they still cast good bullets. Like the previous poster said, if you have a problem, stop, and fix it. It will just get worse if you keep going.
I have started using the spray graphite and I love it so far. Keeps the lead from sticking and makes it easier to spot problems due to the difference in color. Hard to see lead on aluminum.
I lube the pivot with SMALL amounts of bullet lube but I rarely lube the alignment pins. Just don't see a reason to lube a hardened steel pin that has almost no stress on it.
I have altered my moulds by installing a set screw to hold the pivot screw in place. Just got tired of it loosening up and causing the bullets to have flashing on top. My other moulds have this feature, wish LEE would do it at the factory, couldn't cost much.

Rod B
10-20-2005, 11:58 PM
DavidR, Thanks for the info, theres a wealth of knowledge there. :-D

Rod.