PDA

View Full Version : Aproximate value

salvadore
02-05-2016, 12:14 PM
I know a former LEO in rehab (cardio/pulmonary) who wants to know what his Model 71 Winchester is worth. He tells me it has a small amount of barrel bluing gone, possibly from being carried in a gun rack, and the wood is nice without any major concerns. I know the value is what people will pay and plan on hitting some of the gun selling sites, but I would like you folks opinion also. Thank you

pietro
02-05-2016, 12:52 PM

IMO, opining a value is pointless w/o pics and/or a detailed description (including which barrel length & if it's a long or short tang)) of the rifle's overall condition when compared to factory new condition, disclosing any modifications, wood dents, wood/metal scratches, wood gouges, rust - and it's mechanical operating condition.

Depending upon the remaining original condition (like, say, 80% or 90%, etc), modifications from the issue configuration, etc, a .348 Winchester Model 71 (not a clone) can be worth anywhere from $1500 to $2500 - but where it's sold (values can vary, country-wide) can also have an effect on it's actual selling price.

If he's planning on divesting himself of the rifle, he can expect the best return by placing the rifle in a well-attended, guns-only auction - with one of the online auction website (like gunbroker, gunauction, etc) reaching the widest audience of potential buyers.

A successful online sale will depend heavily on posting many good/clear pics of the rifle in the auction/ad.

MarkP
02-05-2016, 06:29 PM

IMO, opining a value is pointless w/o pics and/or a detailed description (including which barrel length & if it's a long or short tang))of the rifle's overall condition when compared to factory new condition, disclosing any modifications, wood dents, wood/metal scratches, wood gouges, rust - and it's mechanical operating condition.

Depending upon the remaining original condition (like, say, 80% or 90%, etc), modifications from the issue configuration, etc, a .348 Winchester Model 71 (not a clone) can be worth anywhere from $1500 to $2500 - but where it's sold (values can vary, country-wide) can also have an effect on it's actual selling price.

If he's planning on divesting himself of the rifle, he can expect the best return by placing the rifle in a well-attended, guns-only auction - with one of the online auction website (like gunbroker, gunauction, etc) reaching the widest audience of potential buyers.

A successful online sale will depend heavily on posting many good/clear pics of the rifle in the auction/ad.

Excellent advice!

Take plenty of high quality pictures.