PDA

View Full Version : maybe a lead buy

irishtoo
02-04-2016, 10:04 PM
i have a chance to buy 1100lbs of scrap lead. 900lbs of soft lead pipe. ( i bought 100 lbs last year, nice soft stuff). this year i offered to buy another 100lbs and the seller came back that he wanted to sell the whole lot one money. i forgot to say 200lbs of wheelweights also, total of 1100lbs. price is current market as seen on your ticker above. i have about 600 lbs now. i live in a townhouse so space and storage is an issue. i go through apox 50 lbs a year. so the question is...............do i buy? irishtoo

Beagle333
02-04-2016, 10:10 PM
It ain't getting any cheaper and lead don't spoil. :D

BNE
02-04-2016, 10:18 PM
Plenty of people here would buy it from you, so it is up to you if you don't want it all.

Where are you located?

BK7saum
02-04-2016, 10:32 PM
Yep, where are ya located?

Brad

scottfire1957
02-05-2016, 12:42 AM
If space is a big issue, pass. If time is an issue, pass. If money is an issue, pass. IF you have a place to store it, and melt and clean and cast it, buy. IF you have time to box it and post it and ship it for a profit, buy.

Simple, yes? If you can, buy. If you can't, pass.

Alan in Vermont
02-05-2016, 12:51 AM
If this is raw scrap, in need of smelting, the "ticker" price is too high to pay for it. I just checked what the local scrap yard is paying for "clean" lead. "Clean" in this case sheet lead, or the equivalent(in this case I told him it was scrap came from stained glass work. $.25, twenty five cents/lb. Reason I was asking is that I have a lead on "several hundred pounds" of came scrap. I told them I would offer more than a yard and pick it up. I'm going to open at $.30/lb and see how it goes. If it happens to be a bunch of soldered sections, so much the better.

RogerDat
02-05-2016, 01:00 AM
Find out what the local scrap yards will pay for WW's and scrap lead pipe. Your offer should be better than the scrap yard is paying but not the ticker price, or the price scrap yard sells it for.

He is selling wholesale raw material. You should not be paying retail prices. Heck for 20 cents more a pound members will sell you nice clean ingots in swapping and selling forum.

Scooby
02-07-2016, 01:31 PM
Find out what the local scrap yards will pay for WW's and scrap lead pipe. Your offer should be better than the scrap yard is paying but not the ticker price, or the price scrap yard sells it for.

He is selling wholesale raw material. You should not be paying retail prices. Heck for 20 cents more a pound members will sell you nice clean ingots in swapping and selling forum.

I agree with this. I have been paying .35 cents a pound for wheel weights and .40 cents a pound for lead pipe or sheet lead for years now. locally yards are now paying .20 cents for lead and a couple yards no longer want wheel weights.

I have kept paying a steady price to keep people wanting to sell to me. I had back surgery this past summer though and have to rethink my hobby or at least reduce the size of container, the bucket that got me was a bucket of ww weighing 186# L4 L5 blown disc. I feel comfortable with about 50 pounds at a time now.

triggerhappy243
02-07-2016, 02:04 PM
Scooby, take it easy there. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

irishtoo
02-07-2016, 05:56 PM
southwest pa, north of pittsburgh

Scooby
02-07-2016, 06:22 PM
southwest pa, north of pittsburgh

yes, I have been making shot, casting bullets, and sinkers for years. my back got the best of me last year, still doing my best just have to re-learn how to do things a safer way for my back.

Handloader109
02-10-2016, 08:05 AM
Alan Be Very careful about bulk buying of stained glass came........ There is a Lot of zinc and non-lead came out there and it ain't all new stuff. I got burned last year.

RogerDat
02-12-2016, 02:18 PM
Alan Be Very careful about bulk buying of stained glass came........ There is a Lot of zinc and non-lead came out there and it ain't all new stuff. I got burned last year.

Came is good lead... if it is lead. Pair of dikes to cut it with, and even one of those propane torches can go a long way to assessing what you are dealing with in general. Zinc is so much harder than lead came that you will be able to tell most times with cutting through a piece with the dikes. Some came is zinc reinforced so you need to cut all the way through to hit the "stiffener" of zinc. 98% of what I have found has been lead but buying a bucket and finding out after that it is mostly zinc would be a major bummer. I check several pieces now when buying. Live and learn from mistakes or just keep blaming others for my lack of paying attention.... Hmmmm let me think what did my parents always say to me about that?

On back I herniated a disk, took a while to recover, and overall disks are pretty worn so I just take it easy and know I have to pay to play, takes longer to recover too. Been a few years and I'm still not willing to risk moving anything over 78 lbs. that don't have wheels under it. Standing at a bench casting is what gets me now after 30-45 minutes I'm starting to hurt. My goal is to steadily fill containers with cast boolits while I can tolerate it so I will be able to enjoy sitting at reloading bench even after the casting part gets to be too much. Need to make 250 then make 500 and set the extra aside. It costs some pain now but I'm pretty sure the price in pain will go up not down over time.