PDA

View Full Version : Large Reloading project

FISH4BUGS
02-04-2016, 06:20 PM
I went on a number of manic casting sessions over the last few weeks. I did around 4000+ 9mm from the H&G 331 6 cavity, then sized and lubed them with a heated Star Sizer and Magma red lube.
I had sorted out and polished some 5000 9mm commercial brass before and had them in zip lock bags. Added to the pile is a brick of 5000 Winchester Small Pistol primers and an 8 lb jug of 231. I still have some 500 sized and lubed Lyman 356142 (?) left over to load, so the total is about 4500 give or take a few.
I'll set up the Dillon 550 to load and go to it. I can do a hour or two here and there. Just go out and do it. No setup time after the first run. I figure in a month or so I will be all set for 9mm.
That should last me for a few range sessions.

wonderwolf
02-04-2016, 06:39 PM
Yup, you run a powder checker in the 550? I've done large lots like that with breaks everytime I fill the powder and primer tray. My (progressive) set up does not have a powder checker yet...something I've been wanting to get/make for it but something that helps when doing runs like that. Just need to hire one of the neighborhood kids to box it up for you as you load....I keep a good size stack of win white boxes for reboxing pistol stuff.

FISH4BUGS
02-04-2016, 07:46 PM
Yup, you run a powder checker in the 550? I've done large lots like that with breaks everytime I fill the powder and primer tray. My (progressive) set up does not have a powder checker yet...something I've been wanting to get/make for it but something that helps when doing runs like that. Just need to hire one of the neighborhood kids to box it up for you as you load....I keep a good size stack of win white boxes for reboxing pistol stuff.
I check the powder weight at the end of a primer tube - every 100 rounds. I am not sure I really need the powder checker.
I have blown up 2 guns in my days, one of which was a S&W 76 9mm submachine gun. Good thing they are built like tanks!
I am hyper careful with my reloads. I will take my time and do it right and be rest assured I will never do that again!
I actually have a light that shines in station 3 to make sure there is sufficient powder. I usually can do about 400 reloads per hour taking my time and loading the primer tubes before hand.

wonderwolf
02-04-2016, 08:20 PM
The light is something else I've considered....I usually load straight wall cases in my loadmaster but its the necked cases like .223 I kind of want the powder checker for.

Walter Laich
02-05-2016, 12:01 PM
Wow! that many is a bit above my pay grade. Glad you got them loaded

I usually do 100 or so at a time and take a break. The old back is not what it once was. I still enjoy seeing a completed round eject each time I pull the handle--at times seems like magic...

other times BLACK magic.

Scharfschuetze
02-05-2016, 08:43 PM
I have similar pistol loading projects during the winter and load up most of my 9mm, 38 Special and 357 Magnum rounds in January and February. Normally I make it through the summer's road trips and shoot-a-thons without running short of ammo loaded this way. Other handgun calibres like the .41, 32 S&W Long and 32/20 get loaded as needed as I don't have the big brass reserves for those.

The current project in the loading room is 148 grain WCs for the 38 Special. 2,000 rounds by the end of the weekend.

Thank goodness for the Dillon 550B. It makes life a lot easier for a high volume competitor or shooter. My Dillon powder measure has proven to be quite reliable, but I usually check it on the scale after each primer magazine (100 primers) reload. I don't bother with the powder checker or the primer warning devices as a good routine and careful operation negates any issues.

After the 38 Special WC project, the Dillon will get boxed up to make room on the loading bench for other loading projects like shotgun and rifle rounds.

wonderwolf
02-06-2016, 01:54 PM
Summer time=shoot
Fall=cast bullets
Winter=load
Spring=clean next years brass

Pretty much how its been for me. for the last few years except this one. Since I switched almost entirely to stainless steel pins I clean brass as I go but since it needs to dry winter or mid summer is when I do the most of that. either wood stove heat or black surface in the sun.

Those big load jobs can sure make range trips a little more enjoyable without having to worry about loading up the night before or something. My issue is I have few "staple" loads for calibers...I'm still experimenting with loads for quite a few and haven't settled on loads to stock up on.

Outer Rondacker
02-06-2016, 02:07 PM
Summer time=shoot
Fall=cast bullets
Winter=load
Spring=clean next years brass

Pretty much how its been for me. for the last few years except this one. Since I switched almost entirely to stainless steel pins I clean brass as I go but since it needs to dry winter or mid summer is when I do the most of that. either wood stove heat or black surface in the sun.

Those big load jobs can sure make range trips a little more enjoyable without having to worry about loading up the night before or something. My issue is I have few "staple" loads for calibers...I'm still experimenting with loads for quite a few and haven't settled on loads to stock up on.
Could not be said better.

Garyshome
02-06-2016, 02:08 PM
I de prime & clean after I get a tumbler full so there is none of that to be done right now. Last year was a great time to pick up some brass at a real good price [I haven't seen prices that low in a long time, which is all cleaned & de primed]]. I have quite a bit to re load right now, but it's casting time real soon. Have to work to get some $$$ to buy powder.