PDA

View Full Version : Winchester 1895 (New to Me)

lead4me
02-04-2016, 05:54 PM
Well I just got home with a 1895 Winchester in 38-72. The serial number is 64XXX so from what I can find put's it at 1911 build. The blue is at 100% as is the wood, the bore is bright and shiny with 0 pit's strong rifling. The barrel is 26" long and has the original sights. Everything has a story and this rifle is no different, it was "supposed" to have been bought by this guys great grandfather passed down to his grandfather to his dad and then to him. As far back as his dad can remember it was never shot. I did get the last 6 rounds of ammo from the box and they are marked W.R.A. CO. 38-72 W.C.F. The fellow I got if from is out of work and was selling some of his rifles. He also stated that he has not been able to find ammo for this rifle. A friend from work told me about this knowing I like to "collect" older rifles. His asking price was 1500.00 but we settled at 1200.00. Can't find much about this caliber online and I don't really need another safe queen. I know someone here must have some info on this rifle and caliber any help?159956

Clay M
02-04-2016, 06:28 PM
A rare caliber for a 95. If it is the original blue and finish ,it is worth a lot of money.
Graf and son lists the brass ,made by Jamison International.

Geezer in NH
02-04-2016, 06:56 PM
Un-shot? keep it that way IMHO you STOLE it. Want to shoot one get one that has wear or you are destroying history ,but it's you gun do what you want.

Bet it will sell to a collector for 4-5K

lead4me
02-04-2016, 10:38 PM
No I'm not thinking that it is Un-shot, just not shot much. To be truthful I just hope that it proves out to be a nice example of a 1895. I could live with someone who honestly sanded his gun stock to make it look better not worrying about some knuckle-headed wanna be "collector" (me). I am looking for a future project, with retirement not far off. What surprised me was seeing it in person, looking online at pictures it seemed larger. To pick it up and handle it, such a small thin rifle. They must have been fun to shoot in .405 with such a light rifle and the sharp crescent butt stock.

Clay M
02-04-2016, 10:43 PM
I would shoot it and enjoy it.
I never found a 95 in that caliber.

gandydancer
02-04-2016, 10:44 PM
Use the rifle that's what its for. and take care of it. you only pass this way but once. check around you can find brass and stuff for it.

northmn
02-05-2016, 12:43 AM
According to Cartridges of the World" it was made for the 95 and was only moderately popular. Unclear as to why it was offered in a 95 as the 95 was adapted to the new smokeless powder loads like the 30-40 and later the 30-06. It has the same head diameter as the 30-40 Krag but the references claim tht only low pressure laods should be used if tht case is adapted? There are others tha may know more about making cases or their availability. You would have to slug the bore to know what bullet it would take but the factory load is claimed to be a 275 grain bullet at 1475. It should take any 38-55 cast bullet.

DP

rondog
02-05-2016, 01:51 AM
Looks like a beautiful rifle! I'm jealous.....

StrawHat
02-05-2016, 08:32 AM
The 38-72 and the 40-72 were two of the original chamberings for the 1895. They were black powder cartridges and introduced to give the folks who preferred black powder and option with the "New and Improved" lever action. They were also the only two chamberings that were offered with an octagonal barrel in that model. I have some reloading recipes for the 38-72. If you are interested, PM me your email address and I will send it along to you.

I have an 1895 chambered for the 405 WCF. Normally, I load it to match the ballistics of the 40-72 but have some factory stuff in case a big critter gets loose from the zoo. Normally my dogs chase them away but just in case...

Kevin

lead4me
02-05-2016, 10:56 AM
Strawhat I will do that thank you, I have been looking for brass everywhere no go...so I give captechintl. a call just to nudge them a little (Jamison Brass) and the lady said she had 9 there in house. Well they are now on the way here, and I was able to get on a list for a phone call/email when more becomes available. FWIW she did say that production for more 38-72 brass is due in a couple of months. I now need a Die set and I'm sure more. I was able to get a lb of IMR4195 last night at Cabelas. This looks like it is going to be a fun rifle to learn. I can't wait to frame a Michigan Whitetail in those old iron sights this coming November. This Winchester has been sitting in a closet for way too long, it deserves some time in the woods.

rockrat
02-05-2016, 01:01 PM
You might be able to send some 405 Win cases to "GRUMPA" and have the rims thinned to match 38-72 specs. You have a great find there and stole it at that price. 38-72 is amost a necked down 405 case with a thinner rim, IIRC. I have a 38-72 reamer, but spec'd 405 rim dimensions, so I can use 405 cases. I rechambered a 38-55 NEF barrel and thinking of doing a Hi-wall. I had JES re-bore a 30-40 krag Browning '95 and chamber it for me, but haven't played with it yet.

Let me tell you, that NEF shot well using J-words @.377" 270gr bullets (.380" groove). Speeds were over 2400fps, but I was pushing it to see what it would do in a modern firearm. Recoil got to the point that the transfer bar mechanism flew out of the gun (NEF's can do this I have found out). Groups were on the order of 1.5"@100yds. Those speeds would be way too high for a '95, but under 2000fps I think would be doable. You have such a nice gun though, I don't think I would even try to push it much

Your gun is in such good shape it seems, you should be able to improve the performance if you wish. A 270-300gr booit at 1800fps or so will probably be all you want with that crescent buttplate. I think its a great, but relatively unknown , cartridge.

Measure the rim thickness with your factory ammo and just see how they compare to a 405. Might be closer than you think. I don't know what the rim thickness is on factory rounds. Length is the same