View Full Version : Press mod for sizing

dikman
02-04-2016, 05:23 AM
Not sure where to put this, so it's here :D.

Having seen this mod elsewhere, I thought I'd do my own (I don't really size enough to warrant it, but once I got the idea into my head.....). I was looking out for a cheap used single stage press, but no luck. While searching the 'net I came across this one - Smart Reloader Mk. XVI, 1" ram and quickchange for the dies. Now, before you guys jump on me, yes, it's obviously a copy of the Lee, at about half the price, and yes, it would be nice to buy the genuine Lee but down here they aren't as cheap as you guys get them for! So, seeing that this was for a specific use I figured I'd give it a go. It's actually quite well made overall (and heavy!) and the linkages were pretty simple, so fairly easy to modify.

Basically, I removed the linkages, worked out the best position to drill two new holes in the two rear link plates, found a suitable bolt to go through the ram and existing holes in the toggle and fitted the threaded rod in the old holes to stiffen it up. My presses are mounted on steel plates, with two holes in the bench to hold them down. I cut another steel plate, longer to mount the press upside down, and that will now bolt into any of the three press positions on the bench. A quick try and it works fine, no movement and plenty of leverage.

The only real problem with the press was the where the shellholder fits - it wouldn't quite go in and I had to file the end of the ram just a little, no big deal. The handle probably isn't as sturdy as the Lee, but should be perfectly adequate for my needs (if not I'll make another one).

Now I just have to fit a suitable feeder for the boolits, probably just a tube (unless the idea of making some sort of semi-automated feed becomes too overwhelming!!).

jmorris
02-04-2016, 09:59 AM
Never heard anyone say they had bought something else because a Lee press was too expensive, guess I need to get out more.

This is an automated version I put together. The Lee press has no modifications done to it that are permanent, just the handle swap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zbImsdkbg

There is a separate video on how the collator/flipper work.

jmort
02-04-2016, 10:52 AM
"Never heard anyone say they had bought something else because a Lee press was too expensive, guess I need to get out more."

dikman is "Down Under" and said Lee equipment costs a bundle "down" there. I don't doubt it. He has some serious mechanical skills. jmorris you have mad skills, that is certain.

dikman
02-05-2016, 12:22 AM
:lol: Not so much about getting out more, jmorris, as leaving the country! We Aussie shooters tend to cry a lot when we see the price (and availability) of gear over there :cry:.

Yep, I saw your video some time ago - fascinating to watch, and hear, it in action. If the stuff you make wasn't so useful I'd be inclined to call you a "mad inventor"!

Thanks, jmort, but I don't consider my skills as overly outstanding (just useful).

jmorris
02-05-2016, 10:47 AM
I see, I didn't think about what they might cost there.

The fellow that inspired me to throw one together is from Brisbane. He did a little modification to the original press and also makes them look prettier but here is the original thread.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?238711-Home-made-auto-sizer

HGS
02-05-2016, 06:49 PM
I like the way you guys think when it comes to building what you need to improve your casting and sizing chores. Nice bullet sizing press you have built.

HGS

dikman
02-06-2016, 09:14 PM
I'd forgotten about Gremlin's earlier effort, thanks for that jmorris. I like the boolit feeder, and it wouldn't be hard to implement, but then I'd have to mount it on top of the bench and have to stand while using it - I much prefer sitting, so I'll leave it as is (for now, at least).