PDA

View Full Version : ?For you Henry .45 Colt owners

Seeker
02-03-2016, 06:38 PM
I am real close to getting my first (probably only Henry) I'm going with the New Steel in .45 colt. Question is: How do they handle lead boolits? What do the bores slug and do they vary any. I know, I should slug mine and find out. Lead is probably the only thing I will ever feed it. I have a few hundred fmjs that I will use to sight and break it in with, but it will get a steady diet of lead after that. Just would like to hear your views and opinions, and if there are any leading issues with .452 sized boolits. Thanks fellas. G.

sghart3578
02-04-2016, 01:05 PM
I am curious about this also. I have been thinking about selling my Rossi '92 in 45 Colt and replacing it with a Henry.

Seeker
02-04-2016, 02:15 PM
92 views and nothing. Guess nobody here has one.

CastingFool
02-04-2016, 02:36 PM
I have the Henry steel in 45LC, and so far I like it. Right out of the box it was almost right on target, with Lee 452-200 RF, cast from 50% ww, 50% plumbers lead and 2% pewter. Mind you I was only shooting offhand at 15', to ensure I was going to hit paper. Also, was using the open sights, and my eyesight is not the greatest (both sights are blurry) I have put a scope on it and at 50 yds, I can get 2"-3" groups. No leading issues were detected, after shooting 30-40 cast boolits with it. I think I do need to try short scope mounts. I attempted to slug the barrel with a boolit I had cast on another occasion, and it seemed to go pretty hard. I got it just inside the muzzle and decided to stop. Pushed the boolit out from the receiver end and it miked .4515. The boolits I did shoot through it miked .452-453. I have fired any jacketed bullets yet.
Right now with the 200 gr RF, I think it's basically a 75 yd rifle. Energy is about 500 ft/lbs. I would like to try the 255 RF which have a higher BC and I would gain another 100 ft/lbs of energy. I hunted with the Henry all through our firearm deer and late doe seasons, but never got a shot. Most deer were too far away.

Seeker
02-04-2016, 06:53 PM
Thank you casting fool! I just got a new Lee 452- 252 SWC mold that drops at 256 grs. that will make great boolits for it. I also cast the Lee 452- 255 rf. Thanks for the report. G.

06ackley
02-04-2016, 07:01 PM
I don't have the steel but do have the brass frame and haven't had any leading problems so far.I use the 270 saa boolit and really like it.

41magjh
02-04-2016, 09:32 PM
I cannot say anything about the Henery 45lc I just choose the 41 rem mag now waiting on it to come to my lgs that I order it from it will be my first Henery

osteodoc08
02-04-2016, 10:23 PM
I cannot say anything about the Henery 45lc I just choose the 41 rem mag now waiting on it to come to my lgs that I order it from it will be my first Henery

Where did you find one available? I thought they haven't even released it.

41magjh
02-05-2016, 09:53 AM
Not to high jack your tread but here the story I was in the rehab recovering from tkr that I had 1 25 16 saw the article called my lgs talk to owner he said he had ordered several ask him to put my name on one an I would square up with him later when I able to get around better

Seeker
02-06-2016, 06:29 PM
LGS had a 20" 45 colt Henry steel that he had been toting around to gun shows. My brand new one is supposed to be there Mon. Yeh, they are pricey, but I handled it side by side with a Rossi 92 and it was pretty much a no brainer.

dmccord
03-07-2016, 02:20 AM
I am real close to getting my first (probably only Henry) I'm going with the New Steel in .45 colt. Question is: How do they handle lead boolits? What do the bores slug and do they vary any. I know, I should slug mine and find out. Lead is probably the only thing I will ever feed it. I have a few hundred fmjs that I will use to sight and break it in with, but it will get a steady diet of lead after that. Just would like to hear your views and opinions, and if there are any leading issues with .452 sized boolits. Thanks fellas. G.

I cast a 230 Lee grain boolit and size to .452 and mine shoots fine and I have not found any lead in the barrel (Yet). I have been Powder coating my boolits but the next time I cast bullets I am going to try my New Lyman Lube Sizer and standard lube.

I also have the 357 Henry Carbine in Brass and have just ordered the Skinner sights for it. I have a Marlin 44 Mag Lever gun and the sights with my eyes were almost unusable. I put a Skinner sit on it and my groups are less than a inch from a rest. For me that is Perfect!

On the Henry website they praise the Skinner sights. I wish Henry offered them as a option but I still LOVE my Henrys. On a rainy day when you cant go shooting its fun just to fondly your Henry and enjoy the look and feel of such a fine American Made Firearm.

This is my first post here, I have been reading man of the fine post I have found here.

Tackleberry41
03-07-2016, 03:30 PM
I use the same boolits in my Rossi 92 as I do my 45 colt pistols. Do have to watch it as they are plain base, and while not to fast in a pistol, the 92 picks up a good 200fps.

Seeker
03-07-2016, 05:52 PM
I'm using same ammo in both my Henry and N M Blackhawk. I like em' loaded on the upper end so I went to water dropping all my cast bullets. The ones I don't water drop get plain base checks. Lead free so far.

Outer Rondacker
03-07-2016, 06:02 PM
dmccord Welcome to the forum. Thanks for sharing. I do not have a 45lc lever so I will shut up now.

Rick45Colt
03-07-2016, 06:37 PM
I own a Henry Brass 45LC and have really enjoyed shooting her. I am on the list for the Keith Group Buy at NOE and am waiting on them to start producing the 45 molds. I also own a Marlin 357 and have been toying with buying the Henry Steel to replace it. I really like the Henry action so much better than my Marlin that come deer season that is typically my go to gun.

Flinchrock
03-16-2016, 08:58 PM
My Henry also sizes at .4515, so does my 92 Winchester.

ironhead7544
03-26-2016, 07:44 AM
I have the Henry steel in 45LC, and so far I like it. Right out of the box it was almost right on target, with Lee 452-200 RF, cast from 50% ww, 50% plumbers lead and 2% pewter. Mind you I was only shooting offhand at 15', to ensure I was going to hit paper. Also, was using the open sights, and my eyesight is not the greatest (both sights are blurry) I have put a scope on it and at 50 yds, I can get 2"-3" groups. No leading issues were detected, after shooting 30-40 cast boolits with it. I think I do need to try short scope mounts. I attempted to slug the barrel with a boolit I had cast on another occasion, and it seemed to go pretty hard. I got it just inside the muzzle and decided to stop. Pushed the boolit out from the receiver end and it miked .4515. The boolits I did shoot through it miked .452-453. I have fired any jacketed bullets yet.
Right now with the 200 gr RF, I think it's basically a 75 yd rifle. Energy is about 500 ft/lbs. I would like to try the 255 RF which have a higher BC and I would gain another 100 ft/lbs of energy. I hunted with the Henry all through our firearm deer and late doe seasons, but never got a shot. Most deer were too far away.

Get the bore slugs from Lead Bullet Technologies. Well worth the money. You just need a cleaning rod. You will be able to feel any restrictions.

krems
03-29-2016, 10:27 PM
I was looking at the brass frame Henry the other day. I'd be interested in buying the Big Boy 45 colt but I'm afraid of having oversize chambers like my Marlin Cowboy 45. The chambers are so big in the Marlin I ended up using dedicated 45 colt brass for this rifle and separate brass for my revolvers. Real pain in the butt. Does anyone know how the chambers are cut in the 45 Henry rifles?.....are they tight, std size or oversized?....