PDA

View Full Version : New Mold.....Dang it !

lolbell
02-03-2016, 01:03 PM
I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but here goes. I like 327 FM, alot. I have been loading a commercial cast 115 RNFP boolit with good results, but I prefer to cast my own. I wanted something in the 100 gn range so I bought an RCBS 98 gn SWC that casts out to 100 to 101 after sizing and lube with COWW.

I cast,sized, and lubed about 250 with the new mold. Some pretty good looking boolits if I do say so my self. I loaded up 5 with AA9 just to get an idea how they preformed. They chambered nicely in the Blackhawk and the SP101. BUT, when chambered in the Single Seven, my favorite revolver, they were too long. About 1/8".

Here's the question. Can I seat them deeper and crimp over the front driving band? The volume in the case will be lessened by about .001. The length from base to crimp groove on the 115 boolit is only .001 shorter than base to front edge of front driving band on the 98 boolit. Not a lot of case volume difference.

I understand the start low and work up thing. My load with the 115's is no where near max and would like to try to load close to same velocity with the 98's if accuracy is good.

I think I would use the 115 data. I think the lighter boolit would compensate for the minute difference in the case volume.

mdi
02-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Sure you can seat deeper, and I wouldn't worry about pressures (I started loading pre-web and there was no info [fear] about seating deeper vs. over pressures). Perhaps your measurements are a bit off? .001" is one thousandths of an inch, pretty small and you might be meaning .010" or ten thousandths of an inch (or one hundredth)? Anyway, your plan sounds good to me...

gwpercle
02-03-2016, 03:53 PM
Sure you can. There are some 38/357 boolits that have to be crimped over the first band to fit short cylindered S&W revolvers, I think Elmer Keith was doing it before I was born , and I'm 65 !
Go for it .
Gary

lolbell
02-03-2016, 04:53 PM
Yep, ten thousandths. My son held the caliper, he's the machinist. I get the decimal's and zeros mixed up. Why do machinist say ten thousandths or one hundred thousandths instead of one tenth or one hundredth? Anyhow thanks guys.

mdi
02-04-2016, 01:35 PM
Yep, ten thousandths. My son held the caliper, he's the machinist. I get the decimal's and zeros mixed up. Why do machinist say ten thousandths or one hundred thousandths instead of one tenth or one hundredth? Anyhow thanks guys.

It has to do with accuracy. When I say ten thousandths, it is much more accurate than one hundredth...