PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help for my good friend. Please read

gray wolf
02-03-2016, 10:31 AM
My friend Clyde has Asama and some other health problems,
Medication has also caused him to gain a tremendous amount of weight.

This is a good man, small country farmer who kept us with the fresh Veggies
Julie and I didn't grow.

I know he has been flat on his back for a while, But Julie just told me he does not have a winter coat.
How the heck do you winter in Maine without a coat.
We take his wife to town for the food pantry and post office,
And the church that we get our used cloaths from, but his size is just to big
I think it's about a size 4X
They also had there truck quit on them.

I freaked out when I was told this.

Does anyone have a warm coat he can use ?
I am 160 Lbs, all wet, he is over 300 pounds so I can't help him.

It's OK if it ain't new, just not to tore up.

Can we get him some kind of coat ?

Pm me or make a post if you have any ideas what to do.

Really appreciate the help.

Sam

obssd1958
02-03-2016, 11:30 AM
Sam,
I don't have anything that big, but I will keep an eye out. Do you have a local Salvation Army, or St. Vincent De Paul there? If he can find something there, let me know and we'll get it covered.

bedbugbilly
02-03-2016, 12:29 PM
Sam - To be honest, i don't think I've ever run across a coat in 4X . . . but if I had one, it would be coming your way. I'll also keep my eyes open as we have a Goodwill near us that seems to stock some new (surplus lots that they have purchased)as well as some good used clothing. If I run across anything, I'll pick it up and send it.

I know your location sort of limits the stores but is there by any chance a Tall & Big Man's Store anywhere near you? If so, I would call and ask to speak to the manager and explain the situation and ask if there were anyway that they could possibly donate a coat for your friend. The most they could say is no and the best would be yes as a charitable act on their behalf. Or, if you have such service clubs as Kiwanis, Elks, Masons, etc. . . . perhaps they would be willing to donate to take care of the situation. When my family had a business, things such as this would come up from time to time and we would do what we could to help . . . our way of giving back to the community that had been so good in supporting the business through the years. In the Masonic Lodge that I belong to, we often donate to such things regardless of if there are Masons in the family or not - another way of giving back to the community.

Nobody likes to be on the receiving end of what they consider charity . . . but let's face it . . . it could be any of us if circumstances changed for us. As I said, I don't know what there is around you but if there are service clubs, etc. . . . make some discreet inquiries and you might find a group willing to help out but they just aren't aware that someone needs help.

Good luck with it all and please let us know how it's going and if you are able to locate a coat for him. You're a good man and good friend to them Sam.

Jim

trails4u
02-03-2016, 12:29 PM
I don't have anything in that size....but would be more than happy to contribute financially if we wanted to get a 'coat fund' going.... I got $10 for the cause if someone wants to coordinate it.

gray wolf
02-03-2016, 01:52 PM
Guy's, we are very limited in the places to shop, and the only kind of good will is the church.
I get my cloths there and so does Julie.
It's all used but if you look close they have some clean things.

Thing is Clyde is kinda, how should I say, big, and they don't get things donated to the church that big.

As for the stores we don't have any that stock big things.

I thought someone on the board might have something.

If I had the money I would have his Wife over and let her get something off the net,
they don't have a computer.

I have no idea what a coat cost, maybe I will look on amazon.

woody290
02-03-2016, 01:58 PM
I will stop at the local Goodwill tonight, Just maybe....... If not I have 10 to contribute too.

woody290
02-03-2016, 01:59 PM
I don't have anything in that size....but would be more than happy to contribute financially if we wanted to get a 'coat fund' going.... I got $10 for the cause if someone wants to coordinate it.

If a free one does not seem likely I will coordinate the buy.

georgerkahn
02-03-2016, 02:03 PM
If a free one does not seem likely I will coordinate the buy.

I'll be happy to kick in ten dollars.
g

fg-machine
02-03-2016, 02:17 PM
i have a 3xl artic carhart coat i can part with if its big enough ,.. its not new by any means . but other then being a little faded its clean and in good shape

Thumbcocker
02-03-2016, 02:17 PM
There is a Maine based company that sells really good quality outer wear. Maybe if we just did a group buy and got him a GOOD quality coat it would last a few years. I am definitely in on a group buy.

twc1964
02-03-2016, 02:37 PM
I'm a big guy too. I'm not sure if I can dig something up, but I will look when I get home. No promises though. I will on the up tonite whether yea or nay.

twc1964
02-03-2016, 02:38 PM
I meant pm the op. Dang phone.

Bad Water Bill
02-03-2016, 02:38 PM
OK lets get the ball rolling AGAIN for a needy person.

I just checked and Cabelas has a nice winter coat ( Item: IK-984649 )for as little as $45.00 so lets see what we can do.

Yes I am sure there are better but at least this is a starting point and I am good for another $10.00.

Yes I still have your addy Sam.

gray wolf
02-03-2016, 03:37 PM
I think this one is $45.00 on sale, we talked to the wife and she said it would work.
From what I read it's a warm coat.
Roughneck Brown in a Tall 3XL.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=1386465#BVRRWidgetID

Do you men think you can swing this for him ?

I apologize for not having $45.00 to get it for him.

Sam

Bad Water Bill
02-03-2016, 03:55 PM
Sam if your zip is still 04964 my $10.00 will be in the mail today.

Hopefully we can raise enough to get him a nice warm flannel shirt as well.

BWB & GIRTY

gray wolf
02-03-2016, 04:21 PM
yes it's still 04964

I think he would be warm in this coat.

Thumbcocker
02-03-2016, 04:46 PM
Pm sent

Bad Water Bill
02-03-2016, 04:50 PM
Your envelope is out waiting for the mailman to pick it up.

Now lets see how many more are willing to step up and fund an old needy person some warm clothes?

Bad Water Bill
02-03-2016, 05:06 PM
Sam

IF you order it from Cabelas ask to speak to a manager.

We had a Beginners shoot every year and we asked them for any kind of donation.

The last time we had a shoot I was given a FULL shopping cart as well as in store coupons.

Yes they can be very generous

Der Gebirgsjager
02-03-2016, 05:12 PM
I'm in for $10.00 if you'll tell me where to send it.

woody290
02-03-2016, 05:45 PM
PM Sent

jonp
02-03-2016, 05:50 PM
sam, pm me your address and I will order the coat and send it to you. Maine is no place to be in the winter without a coat. Take the other donations and buy him some good wool socks or mittens to keep his hands and feet warm for his circulation.
jonp

gray wolf
02-03-2016, 05:52 PM
I'm in for $10.00 if you'll tell me where to send it.

PM sent.

gray wolf
02-03-2016, 05:54 PM
sam, pm me your address and I will order the coat and send it to you. Maine is no place to be in the winter without a coat. Take the other donations and buy him some good wool socks or mittens to keep his hands and feet warm for his circulation.
jonp

PM going out to you now.

FOLKS......I think we have this done now. Thanks to all who stepped up to help Clyde.

Sam

obssd1958
02-03-2016, 05:56 PM
Good idea, Jon! My contribution was sent via paypal, Sam. Please use it as Jon has suggested!

...and thank you, to both you and Clyde, for allowing us to help!!

DCP
02-03-2016, 06:00 PM
http://www.kingsizedirect.com/Big-and-Tall-Outerwear.aspx?DeptId=23925&affiliate_id=009&affiliate_location_id=01&cid=KS15377&mid=5555624458033&sssdmh=KS15377500001
If the coat doesnt fit try this site

woody290
02-03-2016, 09:18 PM
Just Pay paled mine Thanks for doing this.

gray wolf
02-03-2016, 10:06 PM
Just wow!

Ya know what men ? I feel proud,
sure I am happy that my friend wont be cold, and I'm happy I could help him.

But I am proud that I can say, Julie and I have friends like you all.

Friends that could be in mud over the boot tops--but continue the journey of friendship.

I called Helen and told her about the new coat for Clyde,
and that he would have a little extra for some socks and maybe a scarf.
They were very happy.

Some folks might say, HEY ! whats so great about a coat ?
Tell you what, when it's 15* below zero,
I'll ask Clyde, --- What's so great about a new coat.

So I say thank you again for the help, kind thoughts, and friendship.

Sam

No what you believe in
and believe in what you know

waarp8nt
02-03-2016, 11:04 PM
My dad was a good sized fellow at one time. Mom still has a few of his things. If you have not already got what he needs PM me and I will be more than happy to help out. Willing to ship what we have that he may need.

Boaz
02-03-2016, 11:17 PM
I'll do $10.00 , someone pm me an address to send to .

shaper
02-03-2016, 11:23 PM
Sam, I just got on and saw your post. Count me in. Guys I spent three winters in northern Main while I was in the Air Force. You just can't imagine how cold it does get up there. To hear about someone without a coat in that kind of weather makes me hurt. Do you think we can get him a good set of thermal underwear?

Sam I have misplaced your address would you mind sending it to me again.

shaper
02-04-2016, 12:13 AM
Sam I found your address. sending donation tomorrow morning.

MaryB
02-04-2016, 03:01 AM
Maybe add a zip up hoodie for under it! Layers are better in deep cold. Wish I could help but my budget is squeezed this month.

GhostHawk
02-04-2016, 08:42 AM
Need to setup a paypal, post the email here so people can donate!

In for 20$ if I don't have to go to the post office to do it.

longshot1154
02-04-2016, 09:29 AM
I would like to send some as well if someone could PM me an address.

BUCKEYE BANDIT
02-04-2016, 10:53 AM
I'm in for $10.00 if you'll tell me where to send it. +1 me as well

gray wolf
02-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Men, I think we are done here, Clyde has a new coat and maybe 50/60 $ bux to get some other things.
He is most grateful for it all.

I am most grateful, and Julie also.

Whatever is in the mail will be it for now.

We can say we got-er-done.

MaryB
02-05-2016, 04:27 AM
Gray Wolf, doesn't hurt to give them a cushion for other needs... anything around the house broken that needs replacing? Maybe parts for the truck?

gray wolf
02-05-2016, 11:50 AM
Gray Wolf, doesn't hurt to give them a cushion for other needs... anything around the house broken that needs replacing? Maybe parts for the truck?

Getting him a new pair of boots with what extra is coming.

As to the truck. That is DOA.....been to different mechanics. Had it on the computer. It starts but won't run after. Tried everything. So, dead on arrival. Needs a funeral.......they are looking for something else to drive. Julie gives Helen rides to the store and PO. Another friend lends them their SUV to get to dr appointments off the mtn. So, they are covered for now.

Thanks to all.

rockrat
02-05-2016, 12:44 PM
GW--Offer of the medium coat is still good, so he would have something when it warms up a bit, but still chilly.

Is the truck computer controlled/transistorized ignition, or one of the old type with points in the distributor?

Bad Water Bill
02-05-2016, 01:16 PM
Is the truck computer controlled/transistorized ignition, or one of the old type with points in the distributor?

After working over 25 years in a big car barn my thinking is that your friend needs to find a place that specializes in electrical problems and give them a call.

Try using your puter to find someone to call as you might have to look many miles away from your mountain top home.

Could be something as simple as a broken wire that lays in the correct place when off and starting but when it starts running vibration causes a loss of continuity and the engine DIES.

Try looking on the u tube pages as it could be a common problem with his year and model vehicle and a simple .10 part can fix the vehicle.

DerekP Houston
02-05-2016, 03:53 PM
I'm in for another 10, who's collecting I'll send via paypal gift.

EDIT: Dang should've finished the post first and found more info. I'm still in for it if you want to get a sturdy pair of boots or something to go with it. Cold feet and hands suck.

rockrat
02-05-2016, 06:34 PM
Was wondering about the ignition system, because there are two wires to the igniton coil, one carrying full voltage when starting and the other at a reduced voltage when running. Something wrong with the second circuit, it will start, but not run when you release the key. Might be in the ignition switch or in the circuit after the switch.

Thumbcocker
02-05-2016, 09:08 PM
There are some very experienced mechanics on this forum. Posting make and model with the symptoms might be worth a shot.

Ehaver
02-05-2016, 09:33 PM
What size boots does this man wear? I have a good pair of heavy insulated Rockies that are one size to small for me.

gray wolf
02-08-2016, 04:25 PM
The new coat came today and fits just fine. Clyde had a very large smile on his face. Julie said he had been wearing a lightweight fleece jacket this winter for a coat. The new one will keep him nice and warm.
Waiting on the boots to get here still. Will update when that happens. Helen said the cash will be put aside for use to buy another truck.

They said to say a huge Thank you to all of you for helping him out. He really appreciates it.

Sam

jonp
02-08-2016, 08:18 PM
From the looks of the weather back home it seems it got there just in time. Glad he like the coat and thanks to everyone at Castboolits that helped out someone in need.

Bad Water Bill
02-08-2016, 10:08 PM
Many times I have told folks what kind of a giving heart our members here have and glad we can show our newbees all over again.

Thanks to everyone that helped out someone most of us will never meet but was in need.

gray wolf
02-09-2016, 12:09 AM
Many times I have told folks what kind of a giving heart our members here have and glad we can show our newbees all over again.

Thanks to everyone that helped out someone most of us will never meet but was in need.

BAD WATER BILL

Made me think about the old times, Tell the truth, it was kinda nice----special kinda nice.
I have the same kind of jacket that Clyde was using, Men! it was thin.

This was a great rescue.

Like I been sayin
We have to know what we believe in
and believe in what we know.

I guess there is something about being old, and something about being an old timer.
it's not hard to understand,
you just have to kick enough cans down the right street,
Cock enough hammers,
Chop enough wood,
and carry enough water.
In this world we can't do everything with our hands,
Sometimes our hearts pick up the slack -----------------------Eh.

Sam

dragonrider
02-09-2016, 12:39 AM
I am in for $10, TELL ME WHERE TO SEND IT.

GhostHawk
02-09-2016, 09:38 AM
Totally agree GrayWolf.

Growing up my dad was always the first to stop harvesting his own crop to move over to a neighbor who through no fault of his own needed help. through years and years I watch him do this and never once saw him get hurt by it.

Several times we would finish our harvest, get the machinery under cover, grain bin covers closed, go to bed. Wake up the next morning to a weeks rain, or 2 weeks, once 3 weeks.

I asked dad once, "were you not worried about this happening with us not yet finished?"

He laughed, worry, yes. Concerned, no, If you are doing your part, working within your limitations, doing it right. And you take some time away from working on yours to help someone else who can't. You think God would punish you for that?

But if you are overextended, farming more than you can farm well, greedy, and do not go help when the call goes out.
The big guy upstairs will see that you get a reality check every time.

Over the years I have had a lot of help from a lot of people. Feels good to be able to pay a little forward for the next guy.
Not big, flashy, as a preacher once said, giving in such a way that the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

Just paying the interest on the debt I owe.