PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Ever Built Their Own PC Oven?

noisewaterphd
02-03-2016, 12:54 AM
Right now I have a run of the mill toaster oven running off a PID. Too small.

I also don't have enough room for a full blown kitchen oven.

I'm thinking I could build one pretty easy with another PID and some elements, but I'm curious if someone else already has this figured out.

Best place to scavenge heating elements? What would make a good cheap housing?

Thanks!

jcren
02-03-2016, 01:48 AM
Why couldn't you use a couple of these? They just screw into standard porcelain sockets and are available in several watt ranges. 159850

hickfu
02-03-2016, 02:12 AM
Not when I can pick up a toaster oven at the local thrift store for about $5.00

noisewaterphd
02-03-2016, 05:02 AM
Not when I can pick up a toaster oven at the local thrift store for about $5.00

That's exactly what I have, but rather than purchase and try to wrangle 5 different toasters, I want to build 1 giant toaster, with a PID controller.

1 toaster don't make enough bullets.

noisewaterphd
02-03-2016, 05:03 AM
Why couldn't you use a couple of these? They just screw into standard porcelain sockets and are available in several watt ranges. 159850

Hadn't thought of it. I'll look into to them, thanks!

Don Fischer
02-03-2016, 05:58 AM
Damn, how many bullet's do you coat at a time? I'm pretty sure my toaster oven would hold close to 500! Wouldn't be that big a job to add more trays.

LaPoint
02-03-2016, 07:33 AM
One of the powder coating websites (Powder By The Pound?) had a whole section on building your own PC oven. Try using a heating element out of an old range or a couple of the burner elements from same?

noisewaterphd
02-03-2016, 04:03 PM
One of the powder coating websites (Powder By The Pound?) had a whole section on building your own PC oven. Try using a heating element out of an old range or a couple of the burner elements from same?

I will try to find it, sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

bangerjim
02-03-2016, 09:48 PM
I just bought the Oster HUUUUUUUGE cavity digital toaster oven. 2 racks that hold at least 150-175 boolits/rack. Digital controls with digital display holds temp at 400F within 5 degrees when set at 425F. Remember convection ovens run 25F cold. Yes......25 degrees per all the directions I have on my 2 full-sized kitchen high-end convection ovens. This one does that too.

Tons of room and only $85 at WalMart! At that price, you could not aford to waste your time and materials trying to build one. I sure would not.

No PID controller needed. The digital temp control takes care of all that internally.

bangerjim

noisewaterphd
02-05-2016, 07:01 PM
2 racks that hold at least 150-175 boolits/rack.

bangerjim

I'd like to be able to do at least 1000 bullets in one go (at least for pistol). I prefer to do my casting and loading in volume.

And, I'd like to think I can build something for less than $100 even including the PID. Just got to figure out what I want to start looking for.

Dragonheart
02-07-2016, 09:03 AM
I cook 1K plus bullets on three racks in my Hamilton Beach Countertop Convection Oven. I could squeeze in a fourth rack, but the oven only came with three wire racks, which I covered in sheetmetal for a flat surface and cook on well used silicon mats. I have seen these ovens new for under $100; mine has cooked tens of thousands of bullets and still works like new. I would hazard a guess you will spend a lot more building one just for bullets. The rheostat is very close and since I know how long the oven takes to come to temp I just load it up, set the timer and go do something else or take them out the next day.

warf73
02-07-2016, 11:24 AM
I cook 1K plus bullets on three racks in my Hamilton Beach Countertop Convection Oven. I could squeeze in a fourth rack, but the oven only came with three wire racks, which I covered in sheetmetal for a flat surface and cook on well used silicon mats. I have seen these ovens new for under $100; mine has cooked tens of thousands of bullets and still works like new. I would hazard a guess you will spend a lot more building one just for bullets. The rheostat is very close and since I know how long the oven takes to come to temp I just load it up, set the timer and go do something else or take them out the next day.

What model is that oven? I'm not seeing any that large with 3 racks.

Thanks Warf

Spector
02-07-2016, 12:59 PM
The interior of my Hamilton Beach oven looks like yours, but mine only came with 2 racks. I've thought about ordering 2 more. If I covered 4 racks with sheet metal I could bake 1,496 ~ 45 caliber boolits at a time in mine. I use some baking pans currently with silicone mats and bake 213 ~ 45's on each mat. Don't know if it really matters, but I prefer to have some open area front, back and sides for heated air circulation even with the fan running.

Mine was a rotisserie model. My 3 front dials look very similar to yours, but my red ''ON'' light is located in a different place on the front. I have to set my heat dial at about 425 to keep it at 400 degrees according to my oven thermometer. So far I have been really satisfied with my Walmart purchase. I may experiment with adding mass once I find a permanent location for my oven....Mike

noisewaterphd
02-08-2016, 12:10 AM

That looks pretty nice.

How many 44/45/9mm bullets would you guess you can bake at once?

Dragonheart
02-08-2016, 08:43 PM
My old oven is no longer a current model, but I have seen other hamilton Beach models that appear to be similar. I can get about 375 9mm bullets on a rack and usually load all three racks before I start cooking. I typically set the timer a little over 30 minutes for a cold oven, which gives me 12+ minutes at 400 degrees. The Taylor Glass oven thermometer is quite accurate and the oven temperature is very stable.

noisewaterphd
02-22-2016, 02:15 AM
Well, I ended up getting a really good deal (free) on a full size electric kitchen range.

I still need to make space for it, but it will let me bake lots of lead, and I can use the stovetop for pre-heating molds, etc.

If anyone ever builds their own I'd still like to see it.

corbinace
03-09-2016, 03:17 AM
I just bought the Oster HUUUUUUUGE cavity digital toaster oven. 2 racks that hold at least 150-175 boolits/rack. Digital controls with digital display holds temp at 400F within 5 degrees when set at 425F. Remember convection ovens run 25F cold. Yes......25 degrees per all the directions I have on my 2 full-sized kitchen high-end convection ovens. This one does that too.

Tons of room and only $85 at WalMart! At that price, you could not aford to waste your time and materials trying to build one. I sure would not.

No PID controller needed. The digital temp control takes care of all that internally.

bangerjim

Is this the one you are talking about???

http://www.amazon.com/Oster-Countertop-Convection-Stainless-TSSTTVMNDG/dp/B003Z34OME

http://www.amazon.com/Oster-Countertop-Convection-Stainless-TSSTTVMNDG/dp/B003Z34OME

allen16323
03-15-2016, 12:18 AM
I am building my out of an old high school locker that I am lining with hard board insulation and a lid control running a stove top burner element. Going to use it for cerakote also.