PDA

View Full Version : Mark II Safety for 03A3 bolt

sundog
02-02-2016, 06:09 PM
What is the best way to cut the slot required to install this safety?

Der Gebirgsjager
02-02-2016, 06:49 PM
This is the one that requires a slot cut into the bolt sleeve to keep it from backing out under recoil? I've always used two Dremel cut off wheels mounted together for extra thickness and strength.

sundog
02-03-2016, 10:47 AM
Guten morgen, Der Gebirgsjager. Yes, this requires a slot cut into the bolt sleeve. If no one else has any other idea, then I'll try this. It was kind of what I was thinking anyway.

Der Gebirgsjager
02-03-2016, 01:08 PM
It really is just about the only practical way to do it. You could probably cut the slot with a thin key cutter or a saw, but the Dremel is how I've done it, and in fact was taught to do it in gunsmithing school years ago. Of course, after carefully measuring and marking where to cut the slot, you'll have the part disassembled and held firmly in a bench vise. After cutting an eighth of an inch or so it doesn't hurt to swish the part around in some cold water to keep the heat treatment before proceeding another eighth of an inch until the desired depth is reached. I do recall breaking one off, but fortunately the bolt sleeve is relatively inexpensive to replace. These safeties were kind of replaced in custom rifle building by the 3-position Winchester Mod. 70 type, but that requires a special set of tooling for the installation available as a kit from Brownells which is best used with a milling machine. Take your time, and I'm certain you'll "get 'er done"!