PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/.22 with Shilen Bull barrel

Clay M
02-02-2016, 04:27 PM
Took my 10/.22 out today and tested different ammo.
I tried Federal Gold Medal Match, Norma Tac ,and CCI Standard velocity.
I shot it at about thirty five yards off the bench.
The rifle clearly likes CCI Standard Velocity best.
This barrel has always been picky.
I wonder if the Ruger Hammer Forged bull barrels would shoot any better.

country gent
02-02-2016, 04:46 PM
Hard to tell no groups or group sizes were given for the diffrent ammos.

Clay M
02-02-2016, 05:10 PM
With the CCI Standard velocity I shot two five shot groups that were around .250 -.260
The other ammo didn't shoot well ..

Seems like when I shot it in the past ,it shot well with CCI Green Tag.

wv109323
02-02-2016, 05:42 PM
The Ruger barrels are considered good. I think for optimum accuracy the barrel will need to be rechambered to a specific brand ammo. The .22 LR benchrest guys are worse that CF benchrest. I don't know the optimum accuracy from a semi-auto versus a bolt gun but I think you are pretty well there.

Clay M
02-02-2016, 05:54 PM
It was just 35 yds, but it clearly liked the CCI Standard, so that is what I will shoot when I can find it. Most target .22LR's seem to be somewhat picky when you are talking about good accuracy.
Most of my .22's like the Federal Gold Medal Match. I was surprised to see that this one didn't.

country gent
02-03-2016, 12:57 AM
I have a ruger 10-22 with laminated stock rugers heavy stainless hammer forged barrel. It has been bedded and trigger lightened and tuned up. crown was also touched up It will do just under 1/4" at 50 yds when I do my part ( reading wind, trigger squeeze, and follow thru) I also have a 24 power scope on this rifle. The hardest rifle to bench shoot for me is a 22 long rifle, getting them to recoil the same every time and follow thru is important. One other trick to play with is the spring tension on the mags as this will also affect accuracy some. I have one here that has the barrel (lone walther 26") threaded into the reciever. bedded tuned trigger with a speed lock kit ( faster lock time) heavy fiberglass position stock. All the bells and whisltes. With good match grade ammo it will hit 22 cal holes at 50 yds. But this rifle wieghs just shy of 13 lbs now. Keep testing and try diffrent ammos as many as you can. Give some of the rws lapua and wolf match grades a try. Watch the star on the muzzle make sure it is even and equal round. Check the barrel channel to see if its tight on one side or the other. Watch pressures on rests and bags.

Clay M
02-03-2016, 09:09 AM
I have a ruger 10-22 with laminated stock rugers heavy stainless hammer forged barrel. It has been bedded and trigger lightened and tuned up. crown was also touched up It will do just under 1/4" at 50 yds when I do my part ( reading wind, trigger squeeze, and follow thru) I also have a 24 power scope on this rifle. The hardest rifle to bench shoot for me is a 22 long rifle, getting them to recoil the same every time and follow thru is important. One other trick to play with is the spring tension on the mags as this will also affect accuracy some. I have one here that has the barrel (lone walther 26") threaded into the reciever. bedded tuned trigger with a speed lock kit ( faster lock time) heavy fiberglass position stock. All the bells and whisltes. With good match grade ammo it will hit 22 cal holes at 50 yds. But this rifle wieghs just shy of 13 lbs now. Keep testing and try diffrent ammos as many as you can. Give some of the rws lapua and wolf match grades a try. Watch the star on the muzzle make sure it is even and equal round. Check the barrel channel to see if its tight on one side or the other. Watch pressures on rests and bags.

I have always admired the Ruger hammer forged barrel.
I bought this Shilen barrel back in the 90's before Ruger came out with their barrel.
I put all the Volquartsen trigger and hammer upgrades in my gun.