PDA

View Full Version : Load check for 38 special

theleo
02-02-2016, 11:35 AM
Just checking with the group on this. I've loaded up some NOE .360 154gr WFN sized to .358 in some 38 special brass using 3gr of Tight Group. This is the first time I've loaded a bullet without specific data for the design so I'm wondering what you fellows think of this load? The Lyman cast bullet manual shows 2.8 grains to 3.3 grains under a 158 grain RNFP, so that's what I've based my load off of. These are mainly just going to be plinking rounds in my model 60 3" 357 but I plan on trying to do some accuracy testing in my dad's 6" k38 and want to make sure I'm not pushing any limits with these loads.

reddog81
02-02-2016, 12:18 PM
IIRC 3.1 grains of Tite Group is the starting load for a 148 wadcutter. I would imagine the 154 grain WFN would have less of the bullet in the case than a 148 wadcutter. If anything you are probably closer to 38 S&W pressures than 38 special +P pressures.

I don't have my Lyman #49 in front of me so I could be wrong but I know I was shooting some wadcutters behind 3.0 grains of TG last weekend at 25 yards with good results.

For what its worth, i would consider that 154 = 158 grains. how deep you seat the bullets and how much crimp you use are going to have more effect on pressure than a 2% change in bullet weight.

fecmech
02-02-2016, 12:19 PM
Hodgdon lists 3.2-3.8 grs of TG for 38 spl 158 lead swc, you won't hurt that K38.

bedbugbilly
02-02-2016, 12:22 PM
I don't use Tight Group as I usually use Bulls Eye or Red Dot just 'cause that's what i have. You are "mid range" of the minimum/maximum so I don't see a problem there at all. I'm guessing this is the first time you've used that particular boolit/mold so if it was me, if I was trying to get a load that worked in a particular revolver, I would still work up a load starting at minimum and increasing the grain weight of the powder in increments until I found the sweet spot for the particular revolver. But who knows? You are between minimum and maximum - take them out and try them. You might be surprised to find that they shoot where you're aiming them! That should be a nice boolit - let us know how it goes and what your results are.

As an added note - I use the Lyman Cast Boolit Handbooks a lot - 2nd and 3rd editions - they ae my "Bible" so to speak. I have done the same as you with some powders I've wanted to try - loaded some up mid-range between minimum and maximum just to try out a particular boolit and see how they shoot. (I have a 38 Spl. fetish - way too many molds and revolvers). I have barrel lengths of form 1 7/8" snub all the way up through 6". I have found that the mid range loads I've tried sometimes work very well in one barrel length but need some "tuning" for a different barrel length. But hey . . . that's the fun of playing and experimenting! Good luck and maybe someone who uses Tight Group will come along and add some suggestions.

tazman
02-02-2016, 03:58 PM
For full power 150-158 grain cast loads, I use either 3.5 of Bullseye or 3.5 of Titegroup interchangeably. The impact point and felt recoil are identical to me. The velocities are nearly identical as well.

theleo
02-02-2016, 05:23 PM
Thanks guys, I was 95% sure I was good to go with this load to try. I'm seating to the crimp groove, so .305" should be taking up the case. My COL is 1.489 so the brass may need trimmed in the near future. I appreciate all of your inputs on this. This forum has made my learning curve with cast bullets much more pleasant than I had ever thought it would be.

I know I should get Bullseye at some point but I prefer my powders multi task. If I run out of Tightwad for my trap shooting there's data out there for TG in trap loads. My current pistol powders are Unique, TG, 700-x, 800-x, Long Shot, and PB. Out of those I'm sure I can find something that will work for me.

wv109323
02-02-2016, 05:51 PM
I think you are good as far as pressure. If loads are not satisfactory I would bump the load up slightly. I have found that my 158 gn. bullets are most accurate around 800-825 FPS. I have a friend that uses 700-X for his .38 Special loads. The S&W have a slower twist rate than Colts and need more velocity to stabilize the same bullet.

FergusonTO35
02-02-2016, 08:47 PM
When I see pistol powder for sale I buy some, even if its not one of my favorites. That way, I at least have powder for practice loads so I can save the good stuff.

nagantguy
02-02-2016, 08:58 PM
When I see pistol powder for sale I buy some, even if its not one of my favorites. That way, I at least have powder for practice loads so I can save the good stuff.

That's a really good idea, thought I was the only one that did that, that's how I got playing with unique and red dot,and as I find 296 more often than 110

tazman
02-02-2016, 09:10 PM

Plus 1 on that. My only problem now is I managed to find an 8lb jug of WST and an 8lb jug of Bullseye to go with the several 1lb bottles of various powders suitable for pistol. Right now I have an overabundance of choices. I am trying to get it all loaded and shot before I die though.