PDA

View Full Version : Tumble lube boolits vs regular lube groove in polygonal barrel

ghh3rd
02-02-2016, 03:33 AM
I'm getting ready to get a mold for my forthcoming PPQ 45 with polygonal rifling so I have some boolits ready to load once it gets here. I figure that a conventional 230gr round nose boolit would be good to start with.

This one is tumble lube Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold TL452-230-2R 45 ACP (http://www.midwayusa.com/product/517501/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-tl452-230-2r-45-acp-45-auto-rim-45-colt-long-colt-452-diameter-230-grain-tumble-lube-2-ogive-radius). I have a couple of other TL molds for my .40 and 45-70 that do well when dipped in Felix lube, so I suppose this one would do Ok too. But I've never tried a TL boolit in a polygonal barrel.

I wonder if TL boolits are more prone to leading a polygonal barrel than a boolit with regular lube grooves.

Decisions, decisions...

Randy

Landshark9025
02-02-2016, 06:25 AM
FWIW, certain of the TL designs get a bad rap in 9mm. Granted, that is a much higher pressure than a .45, but I'd not risk it. I had a bad experience with a 158g SWC in 38 SPL and swore off TL designs. For some, polygonal is challenge enough on its own. I have the P30 and stay with traditional grooves whether using traditional lube, BLL or PC.

Edward
02-02-2016, 07:11 AM
All my Glocks wear Wolf barrels ,without leading :lol:

rototerrier
02-02-2016, 08:01 AM
All my glocks consume pc without leading and are accurate. Go standard groove and powder coat. Forget about all that sticky messy lube. IMO, no longer worth the hassle.

fecmech
02-02-2016, 12:06 PM
The devil is always in the details. IF the TL bullet is big enough to fill the polygonal bore it will work just fine, if not, just like normal cut rifling it will gas cut and lead. The .45 acp like the .38 spl are the perfect fit for TL bullets, low pressure and low velocity. It's only a $20. mold and if it doesn't work sell it for $15. and maybe learn something in the process. I shot nothing but lead(and some TL bullets) in a Kahr 9mm with no problems and good accuracy, you won't know till you try.

ghh3rd
02-02-2016, 05:59 PM
Some of my $20 Lee molds have been favorites, and will last a long time if they are taken care of. I've been going through my range pickup sorting out the .45's. Wish I knew ahead of time what the barrel will slug at so I could get some loaded and waiting for the new arrival -- I have a 90 day layaway, but doubt it will take me that long to get it :-)

ioon44
02-03-2016, 09:30 AM
My PPQ 45 barrel slugged at .451".
You might want to consider shooting 200 rounds of factory ammo first just in case you have any issues that would require warranty work.

I would not want to shoot TL boolits out of any thing, I use 185 gr and 200 gr SWC boolits with HI-Tek coating no leading no problems. Just my 2 1/2 cents worth.

ghh3rd
02-08-2016, 06:56 PM
It's interesting that Walther doesn't "forbid" reloads, or cast boolits in the owners manual, and in fact when I called them they advised to use hard boolits, size them correctly, and check for leading often in the polygonal barrel. The manual even mentions cleaning lead of the barrel -- quite a contrast to Glocks position on shooting lead through polygonal barrels.

ghh3rd
02-08-2016, 06:59 PM
ioon44 - thanks for that measurement.

jcren
02-08-2016, 07:48 PM
The lee tl230-tc is an awesome bullet in several guns I have tried it in. From a Taurus to a 1911, and even a 45 colt carbine.

ioon44
02-09-2016, 10:51 AM
It's interesting that Walther doesn't "forbid" reloads, or cast boolits in the owners manual, and in fact when I called them they advised to use hard boolits, size them correctly, and check for leading often in the polygonal barrel. The manual even mentions cleaning lead of the barrel -- quite a contrast to Glocks position on shooting lead through polygonal barrels.

MY Walther manual page 9 states,
WARNING Never use non-standard, RELOADED or "HANDLOADED" ammuniton which has not been subjected to interenal ballistic pressure testing.

This type of warning seems to be standard on all gun makers instruction manual.

When I called Walther customer service one of the first things they ask was I shooting lead reloads.

ioon44
02-09-2016, 11:35 AM

One more point here the Walther polygonal barrels and Glock polygonal barrels are totally different inside, I don't know which one is closer to being a true polygonal barrel.

RobClarke
11-16-2020, 02:37 PM
Came across this one as well. I have chosen the 452 230 gr Tumble lube Lee mold. Any other updates? RC

Wayne Smith
11-18-2020, 08:52 AM
Basically fit is king - no matter the barrel design, if the boolit fits it will shoot. Leading at the muzzle means lube failure, not fit.

mdi
11-18-2020, 01:36 PM
I've read that every cast bullet gets a bad rap for 9mm. A lot of "You can't shoot lead in a 9mm" posts no matter what kind of barrel is used. It took me a bit of time to get my 9mms to shoot lead cleanly and the biggest factor is bullet to barrel fit. But after finding a good lube and sizing the bullets to fit, my Lee 358-125-RF works great. I had that mold for quite a while before I tried the bullet in a 9mm because I cast for 38 Specials and 357 Magnum...

I'm looking forward to shooting my cast in my new Masada, that has a poly barrel...

ioon44
11-19-2020, 10:05 AM
My Walther PPQ SF barrel slugs at .357" and I am sizing to .360" with Hi-Tek coating and pulling a loaded bullet it measures .359" this feeds great and the poly barrel is very clean after shooting hundreds of rounds.

I am interested in hearing how your Masada works out, I have been looking to buy one.