PDA

View Full Version : Lee Powder Measure Kit

chuebner
04-26-2008, 09:09 AM
How does one eliminate powder sticking to the scoops? I've tried washing and drying all of them, rinsing with denatured alcohol and wiping with dryer sheets. Powder still clings to the scoops, especially flake powders like Unique or Red Dot.

Charlie

Ranch Dog
04-26-2008, 10:18 AM
Might have to do it again. I think as far as the washing goes you are supposed to wash them in a solution of soapy water and let them air dry. You can also repeatedly dip them in the powder itself until there is no cling. Dryer sheets are great but they are hard to get into some of the cavities and rubbing or wiping generates static.

utk
04-26-2008, 11:59 AM
Try powdered graphite. Pour a very small pile and roll a q-tip across to "impregnate". Then use the qtip and wipe the insides of the scoops.
I've used this technique to eliminate static inside a powder measure hopper and the output tube of a Lee powder measure. Many powders are covered with graphite, so it is a "natural substance".

docone31
04-26-2008, 06:40 PM
My measures have no matter what, always had a grain or two holding back in the scoop.
What I do,
I dip the scoop, bap it once to level it, dump it into the powder funnel, bap the scoop on the funnel, load the bullet and size away.
I almost never have a scoop without one or two grains holding back. I almost exclusively use Blue Dot. Especially in my .45ACP. 10gns of Blue Dot, 200gn hollow point. My magic number in my .45's

DLCTEX
04-27-2008, 12:16 AM
Liquid fabric softner, dip then rinse, air dry. I use it to eliminate static shock from my truck seats. Dilute it with water and spray it on the seat cover, let dry. Works on carpet, too. DALE

NoDakJak
04-27-2008, 01:25 AM
Right on Dale! With a couple severe cases that I have had I don't rinse but just let the fabric softener air dry. Probably the most severe problem that I have had was a Franklin powder measure that I purchased from Midway when they quit making them. I bought it with the pistol powder cylinder and now wish that that I had bought two or three of them. I really like the RCBS Lil Dandy for my standard loads but most of my loading for the last several years has been test loads and the Franklin with its infinetly variable and repeatible settings is great. It wa a real bitch for the first year however. It was not quite a straight thru measure and gobs of powder would collect in the angle,. I finally purchased a photo lense brush to clean it every time that I changed powders. I used both soap and clothes softener sheets. It helped somewhat. Finally after several years of frustration I soaked it with "Dawn" detergent, no rinse andlet it air dry. Success. It is finally dropping clean loads. All except "Nitro 100". That nasty crap should be reserved for fertilizer! Neil

stillhunter
08-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Have you tried grounding your bench surface. It sounds like you may have a static problem. Touch-Stat is a 1/8th thick foam that we use in electronics. Makes a very nice bench cover.