PDA

View Full Version : long range shooting my H&R 45-70

crackerjack57
02-01-2016, 07:22 PM
Im just getting into shooting my 45-70 H&R buffalo classic with the 32" barrel with black. im loading both 2f and 3f with magnum primers. roughly 68 gn of powder under a milk carton wad compressed and a lee 405 HB cast bullet. with any of my other rifles i would never hold or touch the barrel when firing so as not to throw my aim off as this can change your point of impact. im looking at YouTube videos of people shooting some long barreled rifles and seeing them resting their barrel close to the barrel end in a leather saddle on the shooting sticks. i like the idea as could make for a much tighter group but always thought "don't touch the barrel when shooting. let it free float!"

do I have it all wrong or does black powder affect barrel ring differently.

Thanx all.

country gent
02-01-2016, 07:51 PM
How far is your Idea of "long Range"? Most shooting true long range use heavier bullets than the 405 grainers. My Sharps in 45-70 perfers the lyman 535 grn postel. My 45-90 a 547 grn style. These big rifles are rested between muzzle and also on forends at times. Test diffrent areas and see what works for you and your rifle. Start roughly 4" back from muzzle and work back in 2 " increments, the idea is to find the dead node in the barrels harmonics. The various single shots Sharps, remingtons and winchesters ect are affected by cheek pressure and forces excerted on them ( basically the bend or spring), Your H&R with its hinged action may be even more suseptable to this effect. Your load sounds okay you might want to try standard primers instead of the magnums. My sticks dont have pads but a sling from side to side this allows a solider position and easier give for the rifle under recoil. What alloy are you casting your bullets from? What lube are you using? Are you wiping between shots, blow tube, or shooting dirty? If possible load touching the rifling then maybe work back in .010 increaments. What maker of powder? Not all black powders are created equal. Try 1, 1 1/2, and 2F 3 may be a little on the fine side but does work for some. Sights also need to be up for the task of long range shooting.

johnson1942
02-01-2016, 08:49 PM
yours is a 1/20 twist rifle. i have one and drive tacks with it with a 450 grain pp bullet. dont go bigger than 450 grain and the bullet you use is perfect for that gun to any range. ill tell you how to go around the barrel whip and vibrations. send that barrel to a good cryo treatmen co. and for 70 dollars plus shipping you will never have to worry about that problem again. i did and it made a big difference. your barrel will last longer also and shoot the same load a little faster. got my deer with it this fall. also like to shoot it when it is warmer at prairie dog mounds as far as i can see them and it always preforms perfectly for me. great gun, have fun with.

big bore 99
02-01-2016, 09:18 PM
I've been shooting a Buffalo Classic for quite a few years. It's a great rifle. I have 2 other 45-70's that were more expensive that don't shoot nearly as well. Having good luck and lots of fun with paper patching.

timheacox
02-01-2016, 09:33 PM
I've been shooting a Buffalo Classic for quite a few years. It's a great rifle. I have 2 other 45-70's that were more expensive that don't shoot nearly as well. Having good luck and lots of fun with paper patching.
What diameter are the 450gr bullets you loading with PP?

big bore 99
02-02-2016, 04:32 AM
I use the Lee molds in 340, 405 and 500 grain with the grease grooves. I push them thru a Lee .452 sizer then patch them up to .459.

crackerjack57
02-02-2016, 12:37 PM
hey guys. to answer some of your questions. the only mold I have is the lee 405 grain hollow base. as for right now i don't paper patch for this one but its already on my list. the lead is coming out to bnl 12. running all through sizer and the mike out to .4575 when done. lube is 45% bees wax and 55% Crisco for the BP loads. right now I don't use a crease cookie but that's next. i don't use a blow tube yet and shoot about 4 shots and wipe. i usually pan lube so the grease grooves are full. I will try supporting my barrel closer to the business end and see what that does for me. if others are doing it I will try also. as for sights, I cheat!! I have a scope mounted on it. :o sorry guys. right now im not a puritan! but i think down the road it will be a part of the setup. suggestions for a good set of sights that would work well on this H&R?? and as to my idea of long range, probably out to 1000 yards. as I'm up here in Canada, its a little tougher getting some things. I however did call boomer molds which is up here in Canada. spoke with Leo a couple of minutes. a straight shooter. they don't make them like that often any more. I will most likely get a adjustable paper patched mold from him soon. he did say a 2 month back log.

country gent
02-02-2016, 12:49 PM
Crackerjack, Enjoy and experiment but above all keep it fun and enjoyable. Look to MVA ( Montana Vintage Arms) and Buffalo Arms for sight sets. Lee Shavers makes some good sights also. The big thin may be finding the base for your rifle to mount the tang sight to. One thing it might help with mould purchase is to buy some swaged or precast to test, when you find what works buy the mould. You can save a bullet or 2 if you want a custom mould to send to the mould maker. Also the Book Loading and Shooting Paper Patched bullets A begineers guide by Randolph S Wright has alot of good information and helpfull how toos in it.

crackerjack57
02-02-2016, 01:03 PM
thanx for the contacts country gent. i will make notes on these guys for sights. as for books, I bought 2 already. the paper jacket by Matthew something or other and another book by the same guy that just had the 45-70 in the title. it was 45-70 specific.

country gent
02-02-2016, 03:33 PM
I have the Paper Jacket By Matthews also Randolph Wrights (mentioned above) is way better if your loading black powder. Theres alot out there on Loading and shooting the 45-70 and or Black powder cartridges. The SPG manual is good for actual loading data and info for grease grooves and such for individual cartridges. Wrights books not only gives the what to do, how to do, but the most important Why to do it.

rfd
02-02-2016, 05:43 PM
it's a real shame the h&r buff classic is no longer produced. it was the best way to get yer feet wet with the .45-70 and eventually into bpcr.

the supplied iron sights can be modded to go up to and about past 200 yards and that's it. since it's a break action, there might be alignment issues if a tang sight was screwed to the stock wrist. i had a pair of buff classics and went with the smith ladder ladder peep on one (barrel mount) - not cheap at well over $150, and no where near as good as the vernier tang, but it'll sorta work for long distance shooting.

it's a very light rifle, about 8lbs. unscrew the butt cap and fill with lead shot to add at least another pound or so - i stuck in a 1lb mercury recoil tube and that really helped.

the trigger pretty much sucks with its 7lb or so pull. the sear is only surfaced hardened, so messing with it too much will be a bad thing, just work the trigger as if dry firing but don't allow the hammer to hit the transfer bar. it'll lighten up a bit over time.

long distance with a .45-70 starts at least at 200 yards. aside from the trigger, it's really all about the bullet and cartridge build.

all in all, the h&r buff classic is a ver fun sporting/hunting rifle, and a great intro to the world of the .45-70, bpcr and moderate long range shooting. i do not believe it is a competitive bpcr rife, nor could ever be one, too lacking in too many ways. so enjoy it for what it is and enjoy the bpcr journey.

Hiwall55
02-02-2016, 09:21 PM
Get a good U.S. Krag sight and mount it on your barrel. It's a good option , I've put a couple on buff classics and the owners liked them.Get the one. with the peep and wind age adjustable