PDA

View Full Version : M1 Garand resale?

Earle
02-01-2016, 11:19 AM
I'm new here. Great chat site.

I hope this is the right place to ask this question. If I'm out of place, could someone please direct me to the right area of Cast Boolits for a reasonably expert answer to my question. Thanks....

In 1984 I purchased an M1 Garand from DCM. I've Had a lot of fun at matches, etc. with it over the years. That chapter is kind of coming to a close now and I'm looking to start trimming down my collection a bit. Can I privately sell the M1 to an interested party in my state as long as I comply with the appropriate state laws on buyer eligibility, background check thru an FFL, etc. - as if I'm selling any other gun to a private individual?

I appreciate any help you all can offer.

Earle

Electric88
02-01-2016, 11:24 AM
You should be able to sell it to another person just like any other gun.

lefty o
02-01-2016, 12:28 PM
depends entirely on what state you live in.

Scharfschuetze
02-01-2016, 12:32 PM
depends entirely on what state you live in.

Washington State just passed a law last that requires all gun sales to go through the background check process. This was instigated and paid for by the former NYC Mayor Bloomberg and was supported by Bill Gates of Microsoft. They spent millions and had a slick add campaign and the liberal fools in the Seattle-Olympia axis all voted for it.

Of course after a year now, the news media reports no investigations or prosecutions under the new law.

corbinace
02-01-2016, 01:29 PM
I think that what the OP is asking about is the selling of a CMP rifle. The rifle was sold to him at a discount through the CMP and If I remember correctly from 30 years ago, there was some kind of wording that made it less than OK to pass it on.

That said, I sold mine many years ago unfortunately, but the world has not stopped rotating.

I am sure there are many other CMP rifles in the hands of non National Match shooters.

This old NM shooter would like to have the Garand back. Possibly sit on it for a while, you never know when the bug will come back and you might want to have it again.

Earle
02-01-2016, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the replies. I hope to get a lot more and see what the consensus is out there. If anyone has first-hand experience on this issue (sold a DCM Garand yourself?? - lately?), please toss in your two cents. Before I raise my visibility on this to the level of actually calling DCM, ATF, State Legislators, Local gun dealers, etc., I want to get as much experienced, first-hand advice from real gun folks like y'all as I can get. Maybe I'm afraid to hear what the answer might be from these "official institutions" and legally-invested sources who have to give the hard-core, no-exceptions, CYA answer?

I live in Delaware. In July, 2013, our dear Governor signed into law a "Universal Background Check for Private gun sales". - ALL guns, handguns and long guns, with only a few "exemptions" such as: "pre-1898 mfg.", "certain replicas", "certain guns made for hunting and competition", all black powder guns, sales to CCDW permit holders, sales to present or ex-law-enforcement, relatives, etc. I'm guessing that it's up to individual FFL dealers to interpret what these various vague categories mean in terms of actual gun makes, models, etc. (?).

My main issue is that my M1 was purchased from DCM (in 1984). I'm hoping that with a 32-year-old purchase, any "strings" that might have been attached are no longer in effect. There must be someone out there who has been in the same predicament and had to personally find out what DCM requires as of today, if anything, when a buyer eventually comes to the point of wanting to "pass it on"! The last thing I want is to be charged as an "illegal firearms dealer" with all of the penalties that would surely follow on that. And I really don't want to ship it back to DCM for free or have them generously return my original $93.00 purchase price!

Need more wisdom and hopefully, some first-hand experiences. Any firearms Legal-Eagles out there with DCM issue experience??

Thanks very much again!

Earle

corbinace
02-01-2016, 02:50 PM
I am one of those who waited the many months and jumped through all of the hoops in order to receive my DCM rifle. I received mine while shooting for the rifle team at MCAS Yuma. Like may young Marines, within ten years life and babies happened and money was tight. My Garand was in the bad spot of being about the only thing of value to save the day.

So, yes it was sold, albiet in the late eighties or early nineties. The world continues to rotate and today all is well.

When I go to the CMP website and look at the FAQ page I do not see a prohibition on selling your rifle. I do see that a person can now buy as many as 12 Garands per calendar year???

I think the program must have changed since we got our rifles.

Earle
02-01-2016, 02:52 PM
Thanks, corbinace.

Yes, DCM/CMP. Even I'm confused about the difference after so many years.

You are braver than I am. You actually sold your M1 under possible DCM wording that made it "less than OK to pass it on." Yeah, the world has not yet stopped rotating for you. But I don't want to get a knock on my door from DCM, CMP, ATF, FBI, CIA, ACLU, DMV, etc. and find out, after I sold it, that I gambled and lost.

Maybe I'm over-worrying this? Maybe.....But remember we are under an extremely anti-gun Administration (Fed and State) and Department of Justice who are eagerly looking for someone to make an example of.

Please keep the appreciated, good replies coming. Thanks.

Earle

bob208
02-01-2016, 02:55 PM
well the dcm no longer exists so how are you going to report to them? my paper work only says I have to inform them if I sell my rifle.

lefty o
02-01-2016, 05:06 PM
dcm & cmp guns are sold every day, there are no repurcussions. used to be they wouldnt sell to dealers or those trying to profit from them, dont know if they even try to enforce that anymore.

Wayne R. Scott
02-01-2016, 06:58 PM
I'll give you your $93.00 back and pay for shipping to my FFL. Just sayin':-)

M-Tecs
02-01-2016, 07:38 PM
You are over thinking this. I have both my dad's and my DCM M1 purchased under the same restrictions. DCM never in forced them and the DCM doesn't exist anymore.

Earle
02-01-2016, 07:42 PM
Hey, Wayne,

'Appreciate the generous offer. Let me think about it..................Nah.

(Can you believe these babies could be gotten for only $93.00, thoroughly refurbished to mil. specs, inspected and test-fired at Anniston Army Depot? Mine, "by the luck of the draw", was in amazingly good condition, nearly like new, Springfield Armory mfg'r. You can't even get a raggedy old beat-up carbine imported from Argentina for anything near that today! They were the good ole days. P.S. I have a definite buyer in mind as soon as I get these DCM/CMP re-sale implications ironed out.)

Earle

Earle
02-01-2016, 08:12 PM
Thanks, M-Tecs. Good to know.

I checked and can't find "DCM Rifle Sales" on GOOGLE - seeming to confirm what you and others here are saying. But CMP does exist and is actively selling M1's and other hardware (per their web site an hour ago). My only remaining hope will be that CMP didn't take over all of DCM's old sales records with intent to enforce "violations".

Yes, I'm probably over-thinking this (Paranoid, I suppose). But the implications of losing the gamble are big when it comes to Federal firearms violations - knowingly or unknowingly. I need to hear a clear statement from an authoritative source that "The now-defunct DCM destroyed all its sales records and all recipients of their M1's can do whatever they please with them." (Or words to that effect.) That very important Government decision/action has to be out there somewhere.

I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and call CMP directly and hope I don't hear what I don't want to hear.

When I get around to doing that, I'll post the results here.

Earle

funnyjim014
02-01-2016, 08:51 PM
Hey if you do decide to sell it.... give us first dibs ;-)

Hick
02-01-2016, 09:00 PM
I bought my CMP Service Grade Special from a gun shop that bought out a collector-- All nice and legal with FFL and background check-- so I think it can be done

country gent
02-01-2016, 09:32 PM
I believe the "spirit" behind that wording was to stop the profit makers from buy the goverments return to the target shooters and resell for profit a really huge profit in the 70S and 80s I can remeber Garands for 169.00 at cmp and civillian garands were bringing $800-$1000. After 30 years of your using it Im pretty sure youve fullfilled your end of the contract. The ones came in from korea and other areas imported back in were way rougher thans CMPs and cost way more back when they were coming in. I have been at the CMP north Store ( Camp Perry) and seen 22 ammo literally rolled out the door with a pallet cart rifles 5-10 at a time. Seen one guy leave with 10 of the kimbers 22 targets on a cart ( probably a club purchase). Not only can individual purchase ammo equipment firearms but so can affiliated clubs for adult and juniour programs. Whats in the store varies from day to day, Normally 30 carbines, garands, 06s and a small assortment of 22 target rifles. Some ammo, some armorors tools barrels new and good used. Occasionally bare actions for garands. There were some mann test rifles for awhile also. If you catch the right time you can buy the left over targets from the nationals and other matches. The rifle targets are 6 ft square so it takes some doing to transport them LOL.

M-Tecs
02-01-2016, 09:50 PM
The DCM resale restriction was a policy not a law from a government agency that no longer exists. The DCM was a department of the Army. The CMP is civilian.

What the DCM policy stated on page 4A of the DCM order form "I am purchasing this rifle for my (or my junior shooter's) personal use and not for resale or commercial disposition."

OBIII
02-01-2016, 09:51 PM
If you sell it in Delaware, you have to play by Delaware rules. Nothing stopping you from selling it on Gunbroker or across state lines, as it is a C&R relic. DCM is gone and there are no rules against selling your Garand. Hopefully you will give Cast Boolits members first crack.
OB

jimb16
02-02-2016, 09:29 PM
They originally requested that rifles purchased from them be kept and used by the buyer for at least a year. They asked you to sign that agreement as part of the old application. I do remember that on the old forms. But if you've had the rifle for some time, you would have satisfied that request anyway.

Hardcast416taylor
02-02-2016, 11:47 PM
Hey, Wayne,

'Appreciate the generous offer. Let me think about it..................Nah.

(Can you believe these babies could be gotten for only $93.00, thoroughly refurbished to mil. specs, inspected and test-fired at Anniston Army Depot? Mine, "by the luck of the draw", was in amazingly good condition, nearly like new, Springfield Armory mfg'r. You can't even get a raggedy old beat-up carbine imported from Argentina for anything near that today! They were the good ole days. P.S. I have a definite buyer in mind as soon as I get these DCM/CMP re-sale implications ironed out.)

Earle

The DCM M-1 I got back in the `80`s was most certainly not test fired. There was chamber rust that wouldn`t allow a live round to be chambered let alone fired. Robert

Earle
02-04-2016, 10:20 AM
Thanks, Guys. Good stuff. I'm being slowly persuaded by the expertise here that I'll be OK privately selling my M1. As I said, I do have a buyer patiently waiting until I get my paranoia resolved. Sorry, I would have offered it here if I didn't already have a committed buyer at a very very good $ offer.

My last paranoid act will be to call CMP, as "a person interested in purchasing an M1" and ask "what if I want to transfer or sell it in the future?" - AND - "My friend bought one way back in 1983/84 from the now-defunct DCM and wants to sell it. Can he do that?"

I'll let y'all know what they say.

I'll keep watching here and see if any more comments roll in. I also like the general discussions that go on here about many interesting gun topics. Great site.

prestonj12
02-04-2016, 02:17 PM
You'll regret selling the old girl. They're not making any more. I got a collector grade International Harvester from CMP all original in minty shape they'll probably have to bury with me.

Harry O
02-04-2016, 04:48 PM
There are DCM and CMP Garands all over GunBroker and Armslist. Most of them are 50% or more than what they cost from the CMP today. I have two certificates that I have not used up yet.

captain-03
02-04-2016, 09:21 PM
DCM is no longer in existence .. replaced by CMP. Sell it!! I have sold a DCM papered M1 along with several received from CMP ...

Alstep
02-16-2016, 03:47 PM
You worry too much. Go sell it if you want, but I'll bet you'll regret it later.

Mauser48
02-16-2016, 09:17 PM
I just bought a garand from a guy that bought it from the cmp. As long as you follow your local laws you can sell it. Its your gun and you can do what you want with it.

Lead Fred
02-16-2016, 10:50 PM
Washington State just passed a law last that requires all gun sales to go through the background check process.

Several sheriffs have said that law does not apply in their county.
So now we do the legal sales in those counties

6mm win lee
02-17-2016, 06:46 AM
Thanks, Guys. Good stuff. I'm being slowly persuaded by the expertise here that I'll be OK privately selling my M1. As I said, I do have a buyer patiently waiting until I get my paranoia resolved. Sorry, I would have offered it here if I didn't already have a committed buyer at a very very good $ offer.

My last paranoid act will be to call CMP, as "a person interested in purchasing an M1" and ask "what if I want to transfer or sell it in the future?" - AND - "My friend bought one way back in 1983/84 from the now-defunct DCM and wants to sell it. Can he do that?"

I'll let y'all know what they say.

I'll keep watching here and see if any more comments roll in. I also like the general discussions that go on here about many interesting gun topics. Great site.

You own it. You sell it. Simple. Just comply with the law of the state, especially the occupied countries, where you live. There are plenty of discussions over on the CMP forum about the issue.

forums.thecmp.org

The only questions left are what is stamped on the heel, what is the muzzle condition and what do you want for it?