PDA

View Full Version : 7.65 Arg Mauser

David R
10-16-2005, 07:54 PM
I just got this rifle today. I was wondering if you all could help me with identity. It has a 5 shot detachable magazine that you need something small and pointy to remove it. Says "Maluser Modelo Argentino" " Manufactura Loewe Berlin" I think the serial # is D0???. Its the same on the ring as the barrel. The crest is ground off nicely. Action is smooth, barel looks good after much cleaning, bore measures .314 X .302. It has a V noch rear site and an inverted V front site. It also will fold up to 2,000 Yards. :)

I tried to make a Pound slug that I read about here. I did get it to work, but... well. The throat is long, It measured .330 at its biggest spot after the case ends. The pound slug thing is a good idea, but it was my first time and I need to work on that.

How old is it? Will be shooting it in a week or two. I have 2 boolits that drop .314, so I will crimp on some gas checks and use Lee Liquid Mule Snot until I can get a .314 or .315 sizer my Lyman 450.

Buckshot, this makes TWO iron sited rifles I own.

Thanks
David

7br
10-16-2005, 08:15 PM
Sounds an awful lot like a 1891 Mauser. By a strange quirk, I just picked up my father's for some spermintin. Let me know how it works out.

Toney
10-16-2005, 08:17 PM
I sounds like an 1891, it's over 100years! cool rifles most i've seen are in really
good shape. Buba had got ahold of mine and cut the stock .

David R
10-16-2005, 08:46 PM
7br,

I got this one from my Dad too. Stock would be absolutly goregous if I refinished it. Its kind of a tiger striped all the way from one end to the other. The #s on the stock do not match those on the reciever or barrel.

Front site is a band that is pressed or sweated onto a recess around the barrel. It cocks on closing. Has a wing safty on the back of the bolt. 1/2 turn from safe to fire.

Thanks Guys
David

45 2.1
10-16-2005, 08:58 PM
The Fat 30 works really well in these.

Buckshot
10-17-2005, 07:14 AM
http://www.fototime.com/791BAB15E99BC05/standard.jpg

Look like this:D? It's a 1891 Argentine contract Mauser. You said yours was made by Loewe so it's a 1896 or before. These were extremely well built and finished rifles. It boggles the mind that they built these things by the tens of thousands to the level of finish that they did. But, I suppose that's just the way they did most things back then.

They are a smooth feeder with the straight line magazine. And BTW, while the magazine IS removeable, I don't suggest you do it often. First of all there is no need to unless you were detail cleaning it, and second of all you can reload the one in the rifle before you could ever fit in a loaded one, lock it in position and resume firing[smilie=l:

The bolt on these operates very smoothly having no side saddle claw extractor. Speaking of the extractor. They're small and slender and while I have never broken one I suggest you get ahold of Springfield Sporters and order a couple, plus a firing pin and a mainspring. Not that they are prone to breaking, but if one does you're out of commission until you can replace them. The issue here is that they are well over 100 years old and spare parts diminish yearly. I consider those parts as consumeable and have them on hand for EVERY one of my old milsurps. The cost will be about $20 or a bit less.

I have 2 of these old gems. The one in the photo above actually has the carbine handguard on it, but some of them came that way. I don't remember now if it was the earlier ones or the later. They're held on by 2 copper wires which wrap around the barrel and are twisted together. I don't advise taking it off. One of my rifles has the crest ground, but is all matching, right down to the cleaning rod. The other still retains it's crest. It also has an oval brass plate on the side of it's buttstock that's about 1.5" x .5" and has "R. Robertson" engraved on it.

I've often wondered what was up with that as it came directly from Century Arms like that, and I assume Century imported them directly from Argentina. So I wonder who that R. Robertson cat was and how that brass oval came to be on the rifle? It obviously wasn't new as it was dinged and discolored.

I'm lucky in that both these rifles are very tightly barreled and will shoot slightly oversized or unsized 30 cal cast lead well. Both have .300" bores with one having a .310" groove and the other a .312".

I also have one of the Engineer's carbines, which are just as cute as can be. Basicly a very shortened rifle with a Mannlicher stock and nosecap. It's barrel is a much more generous .302"x .314". Due to the very short sight radius it's a bit more difficult to shoot offhand, but it's so small it's a fun little thing.

................Buckshot

David R
10-17-2005, 05:47 PM
Thanks Buckshot,

Yes that is my rifle. The wood was cut off to sporter length, but it still has the wood on top of the barrel. No barrel bands, but a step down in the barrel. The hole from the cleaning rod was filled in with plastic wood or something. Thanks for the info. Made before 1896 Eh? Maybe that explains the three digit serial #. It does have a nice smooth bolt. It took quite a bunch of patches to clean it, but the rifling looks good. I think Mine is the carbine. Its short and light. I got it so my 13 year old son and 17 year old daughter can shoot it. I will be shooting it by the end of the week. Nothing but cast. The case looks like its a little longer but slimmer than a 308. The ones that came with it say "270 win" on the base, my dad made em.

Thanks Again
David

Bret4207
10-18-2005, 07:31 AM
A truly excellant rifle for cast, and a fine deer rifle too. I've had good luck with Buckshots 316-220 mould, no longer available, and have high hopes for the also unavailble Fat 30. Should you be so unfourtunate as to have a fat bore like mine and find that the stock moulds are undersize I'd either have a custom mould cut for approx $65.00 at Mountain Molds or get a 32 or 8mm moulds and size down. Get some brass, at least 100, from Grafs customs run. Otherwise it's case forming or Norma. I'd also stay away from the Norma factory stuff, at least on a regular basis. High pressure and lots of kick on a 110 year old rifle seems wrong somehow. Turn that sucker into a cast boolit platform and enjoy.

9.3X62AL
10-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Some years back, I had one of these 1891's and never fired it--held onto it for a couple years, then sold it for some reason. I really regret that decision, it's a cool-looking design. Now that my cast boolit riflery has expanded from the time I owned this example, the folly of selling guns that are finite in number really bites.

Good luck with that critter, David.

David R
10-18-2005, 08:47 PM
Well guys, Its a keeper no matter what. I don't sell guns unless they don't shoot or don't work. I bought this from my dad. He is retired and broke, so we both won on that deal. My children are looking at it and asking me questions about it. They keep asking me "What do you call it?" My daughter had to write down "7.65 Argentina Mauser". It will only shoot cast boolits. My dad made cases from 270s and I can make em from '06 brass. He did give me 30 factory rounds with stripper clips AND the dies. What more could I ask for.

I should be shooting it this weekend. I do have 2 molds that drop .314, so I will try them. If they don't work, then I will considor a custom mold. I was not here when the fat 30 came around. I am going to try 11 grains of red dot behind the group buy C314 1502R. This should work, but ya never know.

I have shot it before, but only with those Yeller boolits. All handloads. I will report on how it shoots next week.

Thanks for all the info
David

Char-Gar
10-18-2005, 10:11 PM
A year or so ago, I picked up a Lowe 1891. It is truly primo, but had the barrel cut back to 24". the job was done very well. The bore is perfect and likewise runs .314X.302. I have a 311291 that cast 316X302. I recently had Stilwell open up a lyman die to .315 so I should be good to go.

I am going to remove the leaf out of the rear sight and D&T for a receiver sight. I would prefer not to remove the base/collar if possible. I have a Lyman 57, A Redfield 102 and a Williams FP and I have not made up my mind which to use.

The weather is cooling off here in Deep South Texas and trips to the range will become more frequent.

Buckshot
10-18-2005, 11:48 PM
............I figured I'd take some pictures of the 1891 Argentine Engineer's Carbine:

http://www.fototime.com/F19455D6631D6CC/standard.jpg

It's a cute little deal. This one has most the blue gone on the barrel but the bands and action still have some. It's all matching , bolt, stock, even the barrel bands. The carbines don't have a cleaning rod.

You can see a butt repair, and apparently these were quite common. I guess the engineers were driving stakes with the butts of thier rifles:rolleyes:. In addition to the buttstock, there is one right behind the action tang and another up on the heel of the stock. Those guys were hard on'em!

http://www.fototime.com/99198524C8077E1/standard.jpg

The sling is for a Swede, but it looks good and works for the application. Almost need a holster more then a sling :D

http://www.fototime.com/0195FFDAF1904B1/standard.jpg

Front end detail.

http://www.fototime.com/5D08BE0D4C30B88/standard.jpg

You can just see the crest. Neat little carbine rear sight. It is marked to 1400 yards when you stand it up. The 7.65x53 Mauser has ballistics (even for these old ones) not too far behind the 308. This little dude is kind of bouncy with a 314299 at 1800 fps [smilie=w:

.................Buckshot

David R
10-20-2005, 09:40 PM
We shot the Mauser tonight for the first time. My dad had loaded up some cast boolits from who knows where and who knows what powder. Even who konws what size they were. He says I cast the boolits, but I never had a mold like that I can remember. When my son was shooting it, one boolit got shoved back into the case....ALL the way into the case. So I shook some powder out, looked like Unique. That sounds like my dad. Put the site on 300 yards and it had a center hold at fifty. I had 40 rounds total. My son shot 37, I shot a 3 shot group off the bench. It looked like about 2.5" at 50 yards.

Man those sites are teeney weeney! The gun fits my son quite well, he does not have fat cheeks like me. It has a pretty straight stock (tiger maple) and no pistol grip. I had to get right down on the stock to line up the little v and the smaller front inverted v. I would like to take a file to that rear v and make it a V so I can see it. I am going to leave it alone for now. It really doesn't have a place to put a reciever site on the back of the action. Maybe a tang site?

Well, it was fun. That is what counts the most. We will be shooting soupcans out of it next week.

David