PDA

View Full Version : Cheap plastic ammo boxes?

junkpile
02-01-2016, 12:15 AM
So, now that I've been on temp disability for a while, I'm getting caught up on my reloading. But, now running short on ammo boxes. I found links from a few years ago from Berry's, where 100 round boxes were being bought for less than $1 apiece with enough volume. I'm finding them at closer to $4 apiece, although I haven't called Berry's yet.

Anyway, where do you get cheap ammo storage? I like the MTM boxes, but would like to get quite a few.

Artful
02-01-2016, 12:53 AM
Oh, I thought you meant like these
http://www.harborfreight.com/ammo-box-61451.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/image_23369.jpg

If you are talking about these
http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/597/597634.jpg
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2138436315/midwayusa-factory-style-ammo-box-with-styrofoam-tray-40-s-and-w-10mm-auto-45-acp-50-round-cardboard-white
just from midway or pick them up after the original box is tossed at the range - usually with free once fired brass.

Cabela's has 'em for 3-4 each
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Round-Ammo-Boxes/1159808.uts

Midway has for Franklin Arsnel for a little cheaper than MTM
http://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLocation=%2F_%2FN-10834%2B4294944023%3FNp%3D2%26Nr%3DAND%2528p_visib le%253A1%252Ccustomertypeid%253A1%2529%26Nrpp%3D24 %26Ns%3Dp_metric_sales_velocity%257C1%26Ntpc%3D1%2 6Ntpr%3D1

waltherboy4040
02-01-2016, 12:58 AM
Amazon has mtm fifty round boxes for $2 each, I think midway has them for $1.50.

reed1911
02-01-2016, 10:44 AM
When I care or need to separate them for developmental reasons I use a box. When it is just a run of pistol ammo for the 25yd line, I toss them in a box. I don't rough handle much of anything so while there is a potential for them to be knocked around, they don't get treated that way. I've never had any issues even from match ammo being stuffed in any old box lying around. Now, if you 'need' them to be boxed the plastic will last longer, but generally a visit to the range trash can will get you all the cardboard and Styrofoam boxes you would ever want.

Bardo
02-01-2016, 11:06 AM
I live right next to berrys and have used alot of there products. But now i like plastic ammo boxes with a hinge. Because in the cold they crack and split where the piece of plastic is supose to flex for the hinge. And i would think that could be a concern where you live.

Bardo

lefty o
02-01-2016, 12:30 PM
50cal cans and ziplok sandwhich bags.

junkpile
02-01-2016, 12:31 PM
I had thought about that hinge as well. But 90% of my shooting is done in warmer weather. Once it gets cold out, I use the shooting shacks at the range. They're set up with a handful of benches, and there's a nice wood stove in each to make everything good and warm. The real addicts show up early and get the fires going. The pistol shack has small wooden doors that swing open so you can do your shooting, and the rifle shack has shooting ports cut into the plexiglass windows. We're really roughing it...

I just thought if I could find the Berry's boxes for way cheaper than the MTM, it would be worth it. I found a thread on Calguns or some other forum from 2012, and a poster mentioned getting 45 boxes for $50. If I'm looking at $3-4 each, I'll just be sticking with MTM.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-01-2016, 12:37 PM
I may be just lucky or something, but there is a local gunshow vendor that carries the Berry line of plastic ammo boxes, but also carries others as well. He almost always has them in the $1 to $1.50 range for 50 rd pistol and $2 or $2.50 for 100rd.

JonB_in_Glencoe
02-01-2016, 12:41 PM
if you're thinking of spending up to $4.
I'd consider Plano...High Quality.
http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Count-Handgun-Ammo-Case/dp/B0042WJ9NQ/ref=pd_sim_200_10?ie=UTF8&dpID=4162l-bHRjL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=13STN7WD3KQNRFAMX0SQ

Mk42gunner
02-01-2016, 01:01 PM
50cal cans and ziplok sandwhich bags.

This is what I went to for bulk ammo, ziplock baggies work well for segregating testing rounds.

Robert

Shawlerbrook
02-01-2016, 01:08 PM
The plastic Folgers coffee cans also work for bulk pistol ammo as well as empty brass.

OptimusPanda
02-01-2016, 01:09 PM
I've been using the mtm hinged plastic cases. They hold 100 rounds and write the load data on a slip and set it inside. Initial investment may be higher but they hold up real well and stack well.

RogerDat
02-01-2016, 01:42 PM
MTM plastic with a real hinge rather than the flexible strip. Green/Black boxes of 100 rounds. At least for bulk storage. They are nice for doing different loads or bullets in 10 or 20 round sets to try out different powder, loads, bullets or process. Slap a card or piece of paper in the lid as a label or index to what load is in each row.

Been a few times I was tempted to pickup some of those white cardboard boxes with styrofoam inserts, especially for giving to family or friends. Seems whenever the bug bites I always find them sold out / no back order.

Dan Cash
02-01-2016, 02:13 PM
The plastic Folgers coffee cans also work for bulk pistol ammo as well as empty brass.

+1. Save money, shoot more.

osteodoc08
02-01-2016, 02:38 PM
For storage in 50rd plastic divided boxes, I favor the dillon boxes. Love the blue and are durable as all get out. I had bought some of the frankford Arsenal ones and they crack too easy. I've got a few of the MTM ones and they are pretty good too.

For bulk, blasting ammo, I buy 30 cal cans and load them up. i find a full 50 cal can too cumbersome to lift up and over the side of the bed.

Tackleberry41
02-01-2016, 05:19 PM
I got tired of buying the plastic boxes. Any more most of mine goes in ziplock freezer bags, I print a label off of whats inside. More will fit in an ammo can that way.

runfiverun
02-01-2016, 05:54 PM
I was going with those plastic can's artful shows, and they are great on the shelf.
if I fill them full the kids keep ripping the handles off, because of how they pick them up.
it's not fun sucking a couple of acp rounds into the lawn mower.

so I went to about half and half.
I keep everything bulk in the cans on the shelf then just top off the boxes as they get empty, the boxes are easier to keep the brass in until I can dump them into the 'empty brass', plastic shoe boxes.
and the plastic cans ensure everything is kept dry and clean in bulk storage.

375supermag
02-01-2016, 07:46 PM
Hi...

I load my hunting loads and load development rounds in 50 or 100rd plastic boxes. I probably have a couple hundred different styles, colors and manufacturers boxes that I have picked up over the years.
Generic target rounds and plinking ammo goes in .30cal ammo boxes.

Typical range trip involves several boxes of test loads in several different calibers and ammo cans of 9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, 38Spl and 357Mag. Usually enough ammo for myself, my son and one of my friends to shoot for several hours.

Usually only shoot around 100 rounds each of full-power hunting loads in my hunting handguns on a range trip, I generally rotate the hunting handguns so that different ones get range time each trip.

It is nice to have 3 people to carry all the guns, ammo, range equipment, etc.

Coogs
02-01-2016, 08:26 PM
Midway was the best bet when I bought a bunch last year, don't know about now. Coogs.

retread
02-01-2016, 08:34 PM
Here's a pretty good price on MTM's.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ammo+boxes

bedbugbilly
02-02-2016, 01:22 PM
For my 38s and 9mms, I used to use the plastic 50 rd. boxes with the hinged lid - don't remember the brand but I bought 20 of them off of flea bay. They worked fine for a while but then the plastic hinge started breaking on them. Now, I'm like Shawlerbrook - I use the plastic Folgers coffee cans with the snap on lids. If I have to separate loadings I put them in zip loc bags. The Folger pllastic coffee cans work well for my 45 Colt loads - a can full will keep me going for a while at the range. I usually take an empty can along to toss the spent casings in for reloading again. Bottleneck rifle cartridges I like to keep in plastic boxes but prefer those with a slide on and off top.

wv109323
02-02-2016, 05:56 PM
You might consider Midsouth Shooters Supply. IIRC they sell two brands. I like the hinge and have had no problem with MTM.

jhaston
02-02-2016, 09:53 PM
Graf & Sons have a pretty wide selection of ammo boxes in different sizes, their prices seem pretty competitive. www.grafs.com

GypsmJim
02-02-2016, 09:57 PM
Always buy slip top boxes - no hinge to break.

I bought bulk J&J a few years ago at no more than a buck or so a box. Their website now shows higher prices. Give them a call. Its good stuff - will last a lifetime...

http://www.jandjproducts.com/

earplug
02-02-2016, 10:38 PM
So, now that I've been on temp disability for a while, I'm getting caught up on my reloading. But, now running short on ammo boxes. I found links from a few years ago from Berry's, where 100 round boxes were being bought for less than $1 apiece with enough volume. I'm finding them at closer to $4 apiece, although I haven't called Berry's yet.

Anyway, where do you get cheap ammo storage? I like the MTM boxes, but would like to get quite a few.
Zip lock.

eli
02-03-2016, 02:41 AM
I recently bought a few 50 ct. MTM red boxes but after one fell, full of heavy .44 mag rounds, and the top cracked badly in several areas, I went ahead and wrapped a couple of layers of duck tape about the top section on all of them.
I also have MT hinged green boxes and they are much tougher and are what I'l buy in the future.
I also use wood cigar boxes for storage and back and forth, to the range; they cost me nothing as a local smoke shop usually trashes them when empty and the owner gives them to me just for the asking.

DerekP Houston
02-03-2016, 06:52 AM
Zip lock.

Yeah, I used up all the mason jars in the house for brass and boolits....loaded rounds go in a ziplock bag. Conveniently gives you a bag to put the empties back in when you are done shooting ;).

edit: just saw Eli's post, I may have to try a procure some cigar boxes....

FergusonTO35
02-03-2016, 11:12 AM
I just pick up discarded factory boxes and trays at the range. One thing I would like to see are some aftermarket 20 and 25 round pistol ammo boxes.

Whiterabbit
02-03-2016, 12:46 PM
MTM boxes only. I DO NOT LIKE living hinges. I'd rather use a ziploc bag than any ammo box with a living hinge.

If I start to load in qty larger than 500 (that's 6 100 round MTM boxes) I'll go to ammo cans and loose ammo, whether plastic or metal.

---------------------

My suggestion is to treat them like magazines: every midway order, brownells, etc, add a couple to your shopping cart till you have what you need.

43PU
02-04-2016, 09:17 AM
For me what I do, is I have those cheap plastic pink 30 cal cans(they were on sale at the LGS for $2 a piece) that I keep with all of my loaded handgun ammo. Then I have 10 each of the 100 round flip top cases. When I go to the range I just grab 2 or 3 of the cases and shoot them up and when I get home I dump all the empties in my plastic 3 drawer things you get at walmart. And refill my 100 round boxes out of the 30 cal cans. When I am on my last 7-800 on that caliber I do I big tumbling run and breakout my Dillon 550 and load all of them back up.

for specialty loads I take a 100 round box and mark it, match grade, or hunting, whatever it may be, but I know how much ammo I have left and I keep all of my ammo rotated it's a good system that works for me.

43PU

contender1
02-04-2016, 10:17 AM
I've read this thread with a smile.
I see a lot of different ways of storing ammo, and at the same time, I see folks doing similar things.
It all comes down to each person's desires of how to store their ammo for their purposes. Plus,,, a lot can depend upon how much ammo a person has.
When a person shoots a lot, and has a lot of ammo,,, bulk storage becomes the best option, such as mentioned with the coffee cans.
Small amounts are properly stored in plastic boxes,,, to protect them, over the cardboard & styrofoam types.
Hinges on these boxes depends upon the maker & the design.

As a lifelong brass scrounger,,, I've accumulated thousands of pieces of brass. I could spend a LOT on plastic boxes if I were to try & use the 50 or 100 count boxes alone. Way back when, I did buy a lot of MTM boxes. Now,,, I only use them when I have a smaller quantity of a caliber, or when I'm traveling to a range or wherever to shoot.
I also found that my lifelong accumulation of military ammo cans has been an excellent investment. Unfortunately, nowadays,,, even those cans are pricey.
I recently found an inexpensive alternative to using my ammo cans for empty brass. Wally world sells Sterilite (?spelling?) plastic boxes, that are now my empty brass containers. There is a 5.5 qt & a 7.2 qt box that sell for less than about $4 each. This frees up my military cans for ammo.
Now, using military ammo cans is an excellent storage & transport of ammo. Plastic boxes placed inside these cans is another storage option. My only issue with plastic boxes,,, is I have too much ammo & not enough boxes. This is why I use ammo cans. I also use zip-loc bags to separate different types within a can.

Another excellent range option I have found are the Dillon "Border Shift" bags. I use a couple for my different match ammo calibers in USPSA. Yes, the rounds are loose in the bags, and as I use them up, and pick up my brass, I have an excellent storage bag nice & neat.

But finding inexpensive, quality ammo boxes is a "hunt" at times. I'd scour the internet, gun shows, flea markets, garage sales etc to find what you seek.