PDA

View Full Version : 2015 manufacture Marlin 1895 in 45-79 (remlin)

Radarsonwheels
01-31-2016, 05:07 PM
I always wanted a 45-70 and I like levers so when I saw a used SBL unfired for $700 I scooped it up. The poor guy watched Jurassic World (sorry havent seen it) and went and ordered the gun from the movie. For whatever reason he never shot it.

I don't like the rail that comes with it but I do like the long sight radius and the ghost ring. The stainless is nice for shooting BP (like a ruger old army!) and the silvery laminated furniture is fairly handsome and fits decent.

Now for the bad- this gun came with an 8.5lb trigger! A little back cutting on the sear didn't help because the full cock ledge was undercut like a 1/2cock notch! I stoned and polished it down to a crisp 4lb trigger but wow 8.5lbs on a $1000+ gun?

The extractor was so tight and sharp that it chewed up the rims of the brass and would wedge ammo up at 45° during feeding unless you racked it real manly like which would cause the brass to shave and scuff on the feed elevator and chamber lip. The feed door was like a critter trap full of razor sharp edges to shave brass and thumb skin. Every part inside had edges that could and did cut me.

All this was fixable with some fine sandpaper and patience but wow really?

I loaded up a hundred rounds, mostly the 405 Lee from a 2 cav mold, and a few sierra 300 soft points. Most were over 70 grains of FF but some were varget since I have some. I think 40 and 47 grains? From memory so don't quote me but not top loads.

My Lee mold drops .457" boolits which worried me until I slugged my barrel which came out .4565 which is good but with a slight tight spot under the dovetail which worried me. I used bullshop nasa for my BP and smokeless loads. I was casting pretty hard antimonial lead which isnt ideal for BP but at least wouldn't deform while compressing the powder. The Lube grooves are not exactly generous in this boolit either. Lots of compromises on the first outing.

The BP loads shot to point of aim at 50 yards, about a 4" group shooting casually from a rest. Some remington factory loads shot 3.5" groups a bunch lower. Thankfully there was almost no leading- a few j-words shot throughout the session might have helped but that is a good sign.

I had trouble with OAL- some of the Lee slugs needed to be smashed into the lands to chamber (not worried about pressure with BP in a Marlin). I guess my leade is nonexistant and I need to crimp almost above the crimp groove or get a reamer.

I did a bunch of 'charging bear' mag dump drills at ten yards and was rewarded by perfect function and one fist sized hole after 21 rounds. Can't say it wasn't fun!

My next step is going to be more BP for fun and also chasing a hotter accurate smokeless load, hopefully with a more suitable powder if I can find some. Any comments or suggestions are more than welcome as I begin my journey with this remlin and my first 45-70. As it stands now it is a lot of fun but I wouldn't take it hunting over a more accurate 30-30 winchester. If I needed punch for brush I shoot tighter groups with my 500 mag pistol at 100 yards than this gun at 50! Hopefully I'll get it shooting tighter whether it ends up being load development, firelapping or whatever it takes.

Radar in Lower Bucks co. PA

FergusonTO35
02-01-2016, 01:43 PM
Glad to hear a mostly positive report. Hint: Varget is not going to get along with this cartridge unless you are loading it to pretty high pressure. It doesn't like alot of empty space. I really like 4198 and 4895 in my 70's vintage 1895, either the Hodgdon or IMR version.

Edward
02-01-2016, 02:11 PM
My 1978 1895 does 1.5/2 inch @100 yds 3"to 4"@ 200yd, 2-7 scope off a bench if I do my part . 13.5 grains Unique with a 405g Lee FN PB
That run 1130-1138 FPS and my favorite is a Noe 460--RF PB 350-GC over 24.5g 2400 with .05gr Dacron at 1450=1500 FPS .And I size every thing to .459 in my microgroove barrel ,works for me!

Rick Hodges
02-01-2016, 02:15 PM
My 1895 Guide Gun is also stainless and "Ballard Rifling". It likes cast at .459-.460.

FergusonTO35
02-01-2016, 03:15 PM
Hmm, sounds like these rifles really like the Lee 405.

Scharfschuetze
02-01-2016, 04:42 PM
Hmm, sounds like these rifles really like the Lee 405.

The Lyman 457193 is also a good choice for the 1895 rifles.

I've only shot the Lee and the Lyman 457193 in my circa 1995 1895, but the 45/70 is such a good performer that probably any well cast boolit sized properly that meets the proper OAL for the 1895's action will shoot well.