PDA

View Full Version : RCBS RC and Jr3

abunaitoo
01-31-2016, 04:37 PM
Is there a difference between the two????
Is one better than the other????
I have a Jr3 and the handle will not stay up. Have to bungee it up.
Is this normal????
Does the RC do this to?????

seagiant
01-31-2016, 05:04 PM
Hi,
To fix it so the handle will stay up.

Pull the connecting link between the ram and the pivot block and put a small bend in it (hitting on the "flat")!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?216858-Vintage-RCBS-Presses-What-s-the-difference-between-the-JR2-amp-JR3

EDG
01-31-2016, 06:04 PM
Get a few wave washers and place them on the large pivot pin between the toggle and the frame on each side.
It will probably take 2 on each side to keep the handle up.

labradigger1
01-31-2016, 06:05 PM
Jr2 had a 1/2" threaded handle and was prone to breakin. Jr3 had a 9/16". The fix is above ^^^.

bedbugbilly
01-31-2016, 10:48 PM
To answer your question between the Rock Crusher and the Jr3 - take a look at the linkage set up - I have never used a Rock Crusher but it looks like the linkage is much stronger/better mechanical advantage (for want of a better term) that the Jr3.

I have a Jr3 and a Jr2 - difference already noted in the size of the handle. The Jr3 is my "work horse". I deprime all my brass with it and use it for small batch loads. My Jr2 I have at my place in AZ where I only load pistol and I use it for that - 9mm, 38/357, 45 Colt.

My Jr3 I have used for resizing/loading 8mm Mauser and 30-30. It works alright but I will eventually get something a little bit more "heavy duty" the more I get in to bottleneck cartridges. It works O.K. but at times I feel like I'm "pushing" it a little too much. Like yours . . my handles don't stay up . . . I curse when I put my knee into the handle when it's down and I'm moving around and not paying attention . . . you'd think I'd take the time to correct that!? LOL

abunaitoo
02-01-2016, 02:53 AM
Thanks.
The RC does look stronger.

fgd135
02-02-2016, 08:44 PM
Is there a difference between the two????
Is one better than the other????
I have a Jr3 and the handle will not stay up. Have to bungee it up.
Is this normal????
Does the RC do this to?????

Regardless of the supposed tendency of the JR2 handle cam to break, I've had an JR2 for 25 years that I bought used at a garage sale and have had no issues, except the common falling handle problem.. I've reloaded thousands of rifle rounds with it, and done every thing short of case forming. About a year and a half ago I bought an Ergo roller handle for it from Inline Fabrication. This made the little press even easier to use, and the new handle design stays up without bungies or extra wave washers.
These days I have it mounted on the bench right next to my Rockchucker, and although I don't use it as much for full length resizing, it still comes in handy for depriming, neck sizing, and as a priming station with a ram prime for large diameter black powder cartridges.
Btw, I actually spoke to RCBS a couple of years ago, and iirc, none of the ram parts were available to upgrade the Jr2 to the Jr 3, but it is always worth calling to see if they have found more.

seagiant
02-02-2016, 08:51 PM
Regardless of the supposed tendency of the RC2 handle cam to break, I've had an RC2 for 25 years that I bought used at a garage sale and have had no issues, except the common falling handle problem.. I've reloaded thousands of rifle rounds with it, and done every thing short of case forming. About a year and a half ago I bought an Ergo roller handle for it from Inline Fabrication. This made the little press even easier to use, and the new handle design stays up without bungies or extra wave washers.
These days I have it mounted on the bench right next to my Rockchucker, and although I don't use it as much for full length resizing, it still comes in handy for depriming, neck sizing, and as a priming station with a ram prime for large diameter black powder cartridges.
Btw, I actually spoke to RCBS a couple of years ago, and iirc, none of the ram parts were available to upgrade the Jr2 to the Jr 3, but it is always worth calling to see if they have found more.

Hi,
You send them your block and they redrill and tap to 9/16 for a bigger handle!

fgd135
02-08-2016, 12:50 PM
Hi,
You send them your block and they redrill and tap to 9/16 for a bigger handle!

Oh, that was not mentioned by their customer rep when I called...At this point, with that fantastic new Ergo handle, I'll just keep on reloading with it.
Thanks!