PDA

View Full Version : Mounting RCBS Powder Throw To Press

WFO2
01-31-2016, 02:27 PM
Does anybody know how I can mount my RCBS little dandy to my turret press . Would like it to be solid . Thanks in advance .

Big Tom
01-31-2016, 03:03 PM
I am using the Hornady one on my Lee progressive. The link here is just the actuator, not the powder throw. Fits the RCBS one just fine. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PCZZU8

WFO2
02-01-2016, 12:50 AM
Thanks BT but i'm talking about a little dandy not the uniflow .

VHoward
02-01-2016, 01:18 AM
Exactly how do you want it mounted? Do you want it mounted on top of a powder through die? Or a bracket that secures under the die lock ring of one of the dies so it holds the powder measure up there at press top level?

Ole Joe Clarke
02-01-2016, 08:02 AM
What brand, model turret press. I know how to mount one to use on the Lee Classic turret.

Have a blessed day.

WFO2
02-01-2016, 09:34 AM
I'm wanting to mount it on a lyman turret press using a Lee powder pass through die . Thanks you all for your replies .

VHoward
02-01-2016, 10:55 AM
I seem to remember someone posting a link to a company that makes an adaptor to mount a RCBS powder measure on the Lee powder through expander die. Don't remember the post though.

VHoward
02-01-2016, 11:01 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Pistol-Adapter-RCBS-Lyman-Measures/dp/B0041OJAJS
Would this work with the little dandy?

WFO2
02-01-2016, 02:38 PM
VHoward I think that's the ticket thanks .

OS OK
02-01-2016, 08:34 PM
I tried to get Lee to make this one for their 'powder through expander' die...
powder filler modification (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YocAB_UqvEE)
A friend in Texas made one for me and heres how I used it...
TURRET PRESS…EFFICIENT OPERATION…LEE POWDER DIE (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-5b2uZ3Uz8)
Later I found this made by Lyman of all people...
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/748976/lyman-multi-expander-and-powder-charge-die

charlie

WFO2
02-02-2016, 04:50 AM
I ordered the one VHowrd suggested however the one your friend made in Texas looks solid and is probably the best .I looked at the lyman one at midway but the reviews were not great .

OS OK
02-02-2016, 12:02 PM
Before I had the adapter I just slip-fit my throw but couldn't get it tight enough to not turn in place. Every throw put a sideways torque on the handle and the throw would not stay centered towards me. I suppose that is not a game-ender nor does it make the throws vary…but…It would just aggravate me whilst doing something I like to do…so it had to be dealt with.

Ole Joe Clarke
02-08-2016, 11:25 PM
Before I had the adapter I just slip-fit my throw but couldn't get it tight enough to not turn in place. Every throw put a sideways torque on the handle and the throw would not stay centered towards me. I suppose that is not a game-ender nor does it make the throws vary…but…It would just aggravate me whilst doing something I like to do…so it had to be dealt with.

Just saw your video with the powder measure adapter with the Lyman powder drop. Your video had more information in just a few minutes than about 100 of the ninety day wonders that have been loading for 6 months and want to show the world how it's done. Maybe it's because I've been doing this since the mid 70's (last century) and it ain't my first rodeo. Thanks for the information.

OS OK
02-25-2016, 12:05 PM
Just saw your video with the powder measure adapter with the Lyman powder drop. Your video had more information in just a few minutes than about 100 of the ninety day wonders that have been loading for 6 months and want to show the world how it's done. Maybe it's because I've been doing this since the mid 70's (last century) and it ain't my first rodeo. Thanks for the information.

Thanks Joe…I thought I was a little 'windy' though…I tend to over explain things but after having to explain things to my electricians over the years I've even resorted to drawing pictures for them…at least I'd usually get what I wanted them to do.
I started back then too and loaded for the kids that could shoot more .38 Spls. than an armory could supply and did it on the Rockchucker to boot. Needless to say the kids were taught to load at a young age.

Ole Joe Clarke
02-25-2016, 10:08 PM
You did a good job explaining what you wanted, you didn't fiddle with the camera, move the tripod etc. I guess I'm just old and cranky. By the way, if you don't mind sharing, what was your job?

Outer Rondacker
02-25-2016, 10:25 PM
OS OK you made me want a Lyman Turret Press now. You run that thing like a champ. Great info.

OS OK
02-26-2016, 10:20 AM
You did a good job explaining what you wanted, you didn't fiddle with the camera, move the tripod etc. I guess I'm just old and cranky. By the way, if you don't mind sharing, what was your job?

I was an Industrial Electrical Contractor…power distribution, machine control, factories from the ground up, machinery moves East Cost to West and that sort of thing. MY 'niche' was the 'corrugated board industry'. Cardboard box board. I had to start out wiring houses right after graduation from HS, wired about 1/2 all the homes in Tomball Tx…God! I hate romex and solid wire!

lcclower
02-28-2016, 02:39 PM
I have the Lyman powder-through expander die set, Lyman turret press, I put a Little Dandy on top and set the appropriate expan der and go to town. Works like a charm.

Ole Joe Clarke
02-28-2016, 03:25 PM
I have the Lyman powder-through expander die set, Lyman turret press, I put a Little Dandy on top and set the appropriate expan der and go to town. Works like a charm.

Show us a photo if you don't mind.

Ole Joe Clarke
02-28-2016, 03:31 PM
I was an Industrial Electrical Contractor…power distribution, machine control, factories from the ground up, machinery moves East Cost to West and that sort of thing. MY 'niche' was the 'corrugated board industry'. Cardboard box board. I had to start out wiring houses right after graduation from HS, wired about 1/2 all the homes in Tomball Tx…God! I hate romex and solid wire!

I was a machine operator/machinist for several years before moving into the office to do programming and job estimating. Moved out of programming into full time estimating, then sub contracting machine work. Finished up my "career" as a project manager/government contract bidder manager. We rebuilt winches for the M113 tank recovery vehicle, work dried up after Obama came into power. Then my job dried up and they let me go. Didn't matter that I made them a lot of money.

OS OK
02-28-2016, 03:35 PM
Show us a photo if you don't mind.

^^^"Second that request…please!"

OS OK
02-28-2016, 03:48 PM
I was a machine operator/machinist for several years before moving into the office to do programming and job estimating. Moved out of programming into full time estimating, then sub contracting machine work. Finished up my "career" as a project manager/government contract bidder manager. We rebuilt winches for the M113 tank recovery vehicle, work dried up after Obama came into power. Then my job dried up and they let me go. Didn't matter that I made them a lot of money.

Over the decades I have learned many things from all the trades I worked around…by far, I learned the most from some fellas from Tennessee…they were 'millwrights'…I learned how to move machinery that weighs several tons with nothing more than a long pry bar and some pipe rollers…that was just the beginning, they took 'precision' to an entirely different level. "Macro".
Of all the things that I didn't learn to do was to run a lathe…big mistake. One of my newbie 'learner-loaders' I have under wing now just bought one and has offered to show me how now…I didn't pass on this opportunity this time…I'll be wiring it up this next week…then the fun starts!

I'm glad to make your acquaintance Joe…OS OK

Ole Joe Clarke
02-28-2016, 05:37 PM
"I'm glad to make your acquaintance Joe…OS OK"

Same here Charlie, I like your style.

I never did run the big lathes, probably a 10-12 inch chuck was the largest. I ran a small jewelers lathe for a long time. Nobody liked to run it, because everything was so small. I loved it because the boss just left me alone, he didn't know anything about it. I cut gears for a while, been so long ago that I can't remember.

Have a blessed day,

Leon