PDA

View Full Version : lanyard ring on Hogue molded SA revolver grip: yay or nay?

Whiterabbit
01-31-2016, 02:12 AM
this:

http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/photos/swivel6.jpg

on this:

http://198.57.214.134/images/softrubber/revolvers/Blackhawk.jpg

which most of you know actually threads into this:

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/r_8QthIvSgk/maxresdefault.jpg

you know. Basically.

The question is this: sturdy enough? or bad idea? And if bad idea, how to sling a large handgun with that grip? (mine is pao ferro). I just don't see the holster working out. It's like a pant leg.

Tatume
01-31-2016, 08:52 AM
Hi Rabbit,

That attachment piece is made of good quality spring steel. Further, the legs are pressed to the frame by the grip. It will not release the gun, and it won't break under any reasonable duress. You have nothing to lose but the cost of fitting a lanyard ring to replace the Hogue grip screw.

That said, I'm looking for a better way to carry a scoped T/C Contender myself, and I don't think a single-point sling will do for me.

Take care, Tom

Mk42gunner
01-31-2016, 09:19 AM
I don't know about the newer ones, but in the late 1980's-early 90's, the thread on the Hogue's and Uncle Mike's swivel studs were the same. 10-32 IIRC.
It made for a pretty cheap way to put a lanyard ring on a handgun, as long as you liked Hogues.

Robert

Thumbcocker
01-31-2016, 09:44 AM
Bowen makes a lanyard ring that fits some styles of Hogue grips. I have one on a 4 5/8 SBH and have been pleased with it. A bit spendy though.

contender1
01-31-2016, 09:55 AM
As noted,,, if you choose to use a lanyard sling system,,, then you are not modifying the gun,,, just the Hogue grip screw. I don't see an issue.
A lanyard is mainly used to prevent the loss of a handgun,,, usually by folks on horseback, or in similar situations. If it's to be used as a means of carrying the handgun,,, then I'd look at cross chest types of holsters if possible. Better protection & quicker to get to in most cases.

Tatume,,, as my handle here suggests,,, I enjoy my T/C Contenders. I have a sling system on all of mine. It's a 2 point system. There used to be a set from Uncle Mikes, that had a replacement screw for the grip, that has a sling stud, and a barrel band with a slingstud to attach to the barrel. I've been using that system for a few decades & it's an excellent way to carry those Contenders. Never had any issues. Now on mine,,, I prefer the Pachmyer gripper grips,,, ground a bit to fit my hands, and the grip screw is perfect for these grips. On a set of Contender wooden grips,,, you'd have to keep the bottom plate off the wood to allow the sling stud to be used.

(I apologize for the slight hijacking,,, but I hope to offer good advice to a member who has expressed a similar thought.)

44man
01-31-2016, 10:54 AM
This is how I do it on all my revolvers, Pach or Uncle mikes with no screw.159612

Tatume
01-31-2016, 01:19 PM
Hi Contender,

Unfortunately, I can't find anything on the Uncle Mike's web site. However, I'm sure I can make a clamp-on swivel for the barrel, and can find a swivel stud to fit the grips. Thanks for the input.

Take care, Tom

ole 5 hole group
01-31-2016, 01:29 PM
In my opinion, it's study enough. 44Man's set-up is probably more battle-tank like. I only go with a single point, as I also use it as a steadying device. When I fully extend my arms the lanyard sling steady's the irons or red dot right down, just like off a bipod shooting stick. It gives me great confidence as I'm breaking the shot - sometimes I'm a bit over confident.:grin:

Paul105
01-31-2016, 02:29 PM
Call Hogue -- they use to sell the stud but it was never listed on their website -- you had to call to order. I have several tucked away in the parts bin somewhere.

FWIW,

Paul

contender1
01-31-2016, 10:43 PM
Tatume, Uncle Mikes stopped making that kit a long time ago. Yet, it's not hard to make one. First,,, they do still offer a barrel band with the sling attachment. (Think; rifles,) Next,,, you can buy a standard allen head screw of the proper length & threading,,, (I can't recall exact dimensions,) and it can be drilled & tapped for a threaded sling stud.
I did a few of them long ago,,, before I found others as spares.

Heck, I may have a spare grip stud in my stuff.

Whiterabbit
02-03-2016, 01:22 PM
Still need to call hogue, but I did measure the screw, it's 6-32.

That's a tall order, finding a sling swivel with a 6-32 thread pitch on it.

I thin Hogue might be my only hope on that one.

44man
02-03-2016, 02:27 PM
I bought a whole pack of the studs. They are 10-32. Drill and tap the hole. The spacers I use for the rubber thickness were something to do with aircraft and I got a bunch but they can be made easy.
I have more machine screws and metal screws and all kinds of stuff in my garage then you can imagine. I can find most anything. If not, I make it.

Paul105
02-03-2016, 02:59 PM
The Hogue stud is threaded the same as the stirrup attachment screw. You will need a ring for the lanyard as it's not included with the stud. IIRC I got mine at the local hardware store.

If Houge no longer sells them, PM me and I'll search the parts box.

Paul

Whiterabbit
02-04-2016, 02:04 AM
I called today. They still sell them. Very (very) reasonable price. I bought three :)

44man
02-04-2016, 11:59 AM
Very good, you will love a sling. i use the 6' Utility sling Midsouth sells.

Whiterabbit
02-04-2016, 12:23 PM
Thanks for the recommendation.

I'm hoping a lanyard, or maybe a sling on the lanyard and goatshead tied around the barrel will be a convenient way for walking around. I think it will work loads better than the uncle mikes holster that can support a 10" BFR with more-than-iron-sights:

http://o.aolcdn.com/hss/storage/fss/3e021c6d7db50b879df108f0ff696f52/200824f6c1c9ee73eb.jpg

Whiterabbit
02-06-2016, 04:22 PM
well, it's a swing and a miss. I said "I need a swivel with a 6-32 thread, like your hogue monogrip." They said "it fits our hogue monogrip"

They arrived, the thread pitch is 10-24.

gotta call on monday and stress the "6-32" part.

376Steyr
02-06-2016, 06:33 PM
Bowen makes a lanyard ring that fits some styles of Hogue grips. I have one on a 4 5/8 SBH and have been pleased with it. A bit spendy though.

I found a brand new in the package Bowen "universal" lanyard ring set at a LGS. It was in the general "used shooting junk" area and was priced something like 20% of retail. I can only speculate that somebody bought it, was dismayed at the amount of machining that would be required to install it, and decided to cut their losses. I bought it and it is now sitting in the future project pile.

Whiterabbit
02-06-2016, 11:45 PM
so, I have an SBH grip as well. turnsout it IS 10-24. very interesting. I can drill my pao ferro grip up to 10-24, but it'll never be flush mount 6/32 again. So it's kind of a tough call.

44man
02-07-2016, 10:32 AM
I might have confused some. The machine screw sling studs I bought are 10-32, no holes in the gun or grips for them. These are also long with a screw section below the head at 7/8". I have to drill and tap the grip frame.
There is an opening in the frame that lets me put a self locking nut on the screw so after the bushing is fit everything is tight so the stud can't unscrew.
I think I bought the studs from Brownell's.

Whiterabbit
02-08-2016, 02:08 AM
No confusion here. Understood that the standard lugs are 10-32. That's why Hogue must make their own special 10-24. It's just that the pao ferro hogues for the BFR are 6-32, so that threw me off. I was lucky I had an SBH rugger molded grip and discovered it was 10-24 or else I would have thought they sent me the wrong part.