PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill cranes and geese

leeggen
01-30-2016, 10:49 PM
Wow today we saw flock after flock of sandhill cranes and geese flying NORTH. Guess the got into the moonshine down in Georgia or Alabama. Must have seen 50 or so flocks fly over, just hard to beleive seeing them going north in January. Must know something we don't, maybe the worst of winter is over.
CD

DougGuy
01-30-2016, 11:02 PM
Either that or a major catastrophe is imminent in the south!

tryNto
01-31-2016, 12:00 AM
Just yesterday here in South Central Utah saw about 50-60 Geese headed North and thought that it seems a lot early.
We've got about 4" Snow this evening and about 14" more predicted by Monday morn. with overnight temps dropping back down to 0ºf and lower.

Cariboo
01-31-2016, 01:31 AM
Just yesterday here in South Central Utah saw about 50-60 Geese headed North and thought that it seems a lot early.
We've got about 4" Snow this evening and about 14" more predicted by Monday morn. with overnight temps dropping back down to 0ºf and lower.
Something wrong with this picture. It got up around 40 today no snow in the forecast and +20 degree f is the lowest predicted for the next week. here I thought I was living up north.

Reg
01-31-2016, 02:28 AM
This morning noticed big flock of meadowlarks here. Don't normally see these guys for at least a month.

Reg
01-31-2016, 02:30 AM
This morning noticed big flock of meadowlarks here. Don't normally see these guys for at least a month.

Think I had better start the peppers by late next week.

StolzerandSons
01-31-2016, 10:04 AM
Two days ago there was several hundred(i didn't even try to count) Geese in my wheat field. I should have taken video...the geese were of course honking very loadly and our Arabian Donkey was standing at the fence between the pasture and the field, neck stretched as far over as she could, braying back at them as loadly as she could.

Blackwater
01-31-2016, 10:30 AM
Stolzer, that's a picture that only people close to the land can appreciate! Thanks!

bedbugbilly
01-31-2016, 12:40 PM
When we left MI on Jan. 17, the sandhill cranes were still there. Normally, we have a pair who have one or two young ones every year that come back. I was seeing groups of 15 to 25 out in the cornfield looking for food. We had only had two snows that didn't last that long and one good cold spell for a few days.

I believe it is in March sometime that the sandhill cranes gather down at Wilcox, AZ. We've never gone down to see them but neighbors have and it's something to see. It will be interesting to hear how many show up this year and how many have already gone north.