PDA

View Full Version : Good success so far with Lee Loadmaster!

outdoorfan
01-30-2016, 08:26 PM
Just thought I'd mention that I recently loaded over 1000 rounds of 357 magnum without a single priming issue. The only problem I had was that maybe around 10-20 times I had a case tip over (from the case feeder) as it was dropped into position ready to be inserted into the case holder. Since I visually check case feeding, primer tube advancement, and powder charge during each cycle, this was not really a problem. And, if I had been loading .45 Colt instead, the cases would have been wide enough to probably not have ever tipped over.

Bottom line, I've loaded maybe 3000-4000 rounds on it so far with very few issues, and maybe only a couple times could I say that it was something that wasn't my fault.

The press I have is about a year old. So far I think it's a great value.

shoot-n-lead
01-30-2016, 08:33 PM
Sounds like you got a good one...and they are few and far between.

Glad it is working well for you...enjoy.

44Vaquero
01-31-2016, 11:09 AM
They are not as few and far between as some would have you believe. I know several users who own 3 or more Load Masters and report good performance. I myself have been running one since they came out in the early 90's.

Come visit the FB page Lee Reloaders and Casting Equipment group (11,500+ members) using Lee equipment with great results.

longshot1154
01-31-2016, 12:07 PM
I've had mine since the early 90's. Worked at an indoor shooting range where everyone was using Dillon's. I was around 21 or so at the time and couldn't afford a Dillon. Bought the Loadmaster for $120.00 with my discount and am still using it to this day. Was just looking at purchasing a LNL AP but realized that for what I do, there is no reason for me to purchase a new press and the Loadmaster works fine. I did purchase the new priming systems when they came out and I can load much more ammo than I normally shoot. I check about every 20th shell for powder weight which never seems to fluctuate. The new auto drum measure I ordered will be here tomorrow so I'll need to check a bit more frequently until I am confident it is performing properly.

I keep looking at the S&S threads for used ones as there seem to be so many unhappy users and I would be more than happy to take them off their hands for them.

Mike Kerr
02-02-2016, 12:17 AM
I keep looking at the S&S threads for used ones as there seem to be so many unhappy users and I would be more than happy to take them off their hands for them

They rarely pop up on our S&S ads. When they do they are not as cheap as the complainers might have you believe. I had two LM s way back in the day and you can get work done with a Loadmaster even if you have to adjust for potential priming issues. Some people love them and some don't - I am always glad to hear of people's positive results. Even though I now load using a different brand I think the LM gives value for the money spent if a reloader utilizes the methods pointed out on the Load Master forums especially regarding SECURE mounting of the press.

outdoorfan
02-02-2016, 12:43 PM
SECURE mounting of the press.

Yes, good point. I have mine mounted in a way that it DOESN'T MOVE.