PDA

View Full Version : Muzzle blast reduction?

Naphtali
01-30-2016, 01:38 PM
When I owned Freedom Arms Model 83s in 475 Linebaugh and Ruger SRHs in 480 I could tolerate three full-power [not "maximum"] 400-grain H110 loads per shooting session. While muzzle velocities were 1200-1300 fps, give or take, muzzle blast was too much for me to handle. When I created 4227 loads for the 400-grain bullet, two things happened. From full-power [not "maximum"] loads muzzle velocities were 1100-1150 fps, give or take, and muzzle blast was dramatically reduced. That muzzle velocities were lower made zero difference in terms of either cartridge's suitability for whitetail and elk for me. But the change in muzzle blast prompted me to query about this facet of handgun handloading.

When handloading for 2-4 inch 357 Magnum 140-160 grain bullets and Ruger large frame Blackhawk 45 Colt 250-300 grain bullets, what powders offer significantly reduced muzzle blast while retaining the ability to achieve "not maximum" muzzle velocities you normally handload to achieve?

I am not asking you to identify loads. I am not asking about powder fouling, or any other facet of a powder. I am not asking about revolvers, barrels or any suppressors. I am trying to identify which among the bazillion currently available smokeless powders offer the benefit of reduced noise.

tja6435
01-31-2016, 03:24 AM
N110 seems to have less blast from 357 for me than 300-mp does with full power but not max loads, burns super clean but it's super pricey compared to 300-MP, especially since I can find 8# kegs of 300-MP for $117 and cheapest I can find N110 is $31/# (both not incl hazmat/shipping)

ole 5 hole group
01-31-2016, 01:40 PM
I also like VV N110 & N120 but the only cure for muzzle blast that I've found is better hearing protection. If you start feeling "punch drunk" from that muzzle blast, better muffs was the only cure for me, as "regular" muffs over plugs helped but didn't help that much, as the concussion was somehow penetrating my thick skull around the cups and I didn't like that feeling.

If concussion isn't your problem, then download with HS-6.

Lloyd Smale
02-01-2016, 08:58 AM
I guess when I have my linebaughs or even a 44mag or heavy loaded 45 out muzzle blast is a pretty small concern. I realize I'm shooting a powerful gun and its loud with ANY powder. That's why I use ear protection. I never had muzzle blast hurt me physically or effect accuracy. That said I look for the powder that gives me the velocity I want with the BEST accuracy and it makes a bit more noise so what. If it really bothered me I guess I could put plugs in and wear muffs too. For the most part anymore I load ALL my guns with loads that produce about 1100 fps. Not for noise reduction as there still loud without ear protection. But because cast bullets at 1100 fps do all the killing this guy needs. If a 41 loaded to those speeds is to small for the game I'm hunting I grab a 44 or 45 and if that's to small I step up to my 475 or 500 and if those are to small I somehow got lost and ended up in Africa!

Paul105
02-01-2016, 10:38 AM
and if those are to small I somehow got lost and ended up in Africa!

Lloyd, still chuckling -- you made my morning.

Paul

jmorris
02-01-2016, 01:32 PM
The fastest lowest charge weight powder that will give you the velocity you want, is what you should look for.

Artful
02-01-2016, 03:25 PM
The fastest lowest charge weight powder that will give you the velocity you want, is what you should look for.

Total agreement

But even though you don't want to hear alternatives - In my old Sillywett days with my Contender on line next to some of the hand cannons people used - Plug in, and Muffs on was still not enough - so I took a page from one of magazines which showed a shooter with his motorcycle helmet on - and it did cut the noise from David's 358 wcf XP100 pistol.

44man
02-03-2016, 11:36 AM
Muffs for sure but barrel length is important and why I hunt with no less then 7-1/2". I can shoot at deer with nothing on my ears however, not one single shot on my range. Can't explain it.
True about IHMSA and powders, anyone shooting H335 next to me would roll me over.
Seems as if the OP does not plug his ears.
Proper ear protection and muzzle blast is not heard and has no affect on anything. But a 4" barrel is not in my safe either.

Whiterabbit
02-03-2016, 12:41 PM
Bluedot is a little reduced. Noticeably less blast and flash, but it is still present. I don't think BD is your answer, but I think it's a step in the right direction worth trying.

4198 did REALLY well for high velocity AND no muzzle flash AND no blast, but that was a 460S&W case, I do NOT think that would work for any smaller than a 460. I'm not even going to try it in a 500 JRH or smaller.

If I were chasing top end loads (not "maximum") I'd give bluedot a try to see if that improved your blast issue.

johnson1942
02-06-2016, 01:29 PM
this wont go towards you needs but just a thought. i built a 35 wheelen on a break action once with a 34 inch barrel. almost no recoil and was very very quite. that 34 inch barrel really quieted that cal. down as well as the recoil. a really long barrel does the trick.